Creating a DAG with servers at different levels of Update Rollups RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a DAG with two Exchange 2010 Servers.  One of the servers has been updated to Rollup 5, the other is at Rollup-4v2.  Will there be any problems since they are at different levels of rollups?  I would like to get the DAG created, then move the active databases to the currently updated server.  Then I can update the other Exchange server to Rollup 5.  Also, I have a CAS array.  Should I update those first before creating the DAG?

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathy Basham
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Cathy,

It is always a best practice to run Exchange servers on same service pack and rollup level.

"Will there be any problems since they are at different levels of rollups?"

As I know, it should be OK(But not recommend it). And if you install lastest rollup on DAG member, there will also be a coexistence time with different rollup level.

Installing Update Rollups on Database Availability Group Members

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee861125.aspx

"I would like to get the DAG created, then move the active databases to the currently updated server.  Then I can update the other Exchange server to Rollup 5."

Do you want to reduce the service downtime? Anyhow, I would suggest you spent some time to install latest rollup on non-peak business hours.

Please upgrade CAS server first.

Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CathyJB Friday, September 2, 2011 3:34 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Cathy,

It is always a best practice to run Exchange servers on same service pack and rollup level.

"Will there be any problems since they are at different levels of rollups?"

As I know, it should be OK(But not recommend it). And if you install lastest rollup on DAG member, there will also be a coexistence time with different rollup level.

Installing Update Rollups on Database Availability Group Members

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee861125.aspx

"I would like to get the DAG created, then move the active databases to the currently updated server.  Then I can update the other Exchange server to Rollup 5."

Do you want to reduce the service downtime? Anyhow, I would suggest you spent some time to install latest rollup on non-peak business hours.

Please upgrade CAS server first.

Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CathyJB Friday, September 2, 2011 3:34 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Yes, I do want to decrease downtime on the mail.  When I did the Update Rollup 4-v2 it took 2 1/2 hrs to complete on the mailbox server.  This is the reason I need to set up a DAG.   I work for an International organization so I cannot have that long in downtime as someone is always using their email.

So I will update the CAS servers and then create the DAG, make sure it is healthy, and then run the script to take the main exchange server into maintenance mode. 

Cathy Basham
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:19 PM
    1. Agree with Frank, do the CAS servers first then the DAG members.
    2. When you do the DAG members, dont worry too much about the different level but upgrade as soon as you can.

Sukh
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:33 PM
    1. Agree with Frank, do the CAS servers first then the DAG members.
    2. When you do the DAG members, dont worry too much about the different level but upgrade as soon as you can.

Sukh

Unless there are store changes. If so, then all the DAG members will need to be updated at once.

Friday, September 2, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Thanks.  I was planning on doing the update as soon as I can after creating the DAG and seeding the databases.
    Cathy Basham
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:48 PM