none
Can we route a specific Website name resolution query through setting conditional forward in AD DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our requirement is that we want to send one specific website name query to some different DNS server like google.com etc, instead of using Primary DNS Server configured in Network Card Properties.

For example:

Primary DNS Server configured under my LAN Card Properties is: 10.10.1.6

Now, when I open any website from my machine my browser should queries DNS Server 10.10.1.6 and then 10.10.1.6 further queries Public DNS Server for example 13.26.24.7 and this is how the query gets resolved and IE manage to open a Website.

Our requirement is:

When I should open a specific website for example www.india.com, it should use Conditional Forwarder DNS Server 10.10.1.7 instead of 10.10.1.6 to open the website.

To achieve this i setup Conditional Forwarder in my AD DNS, but somehow i felt it is not working, still queries are being handled by 10.10.1.6 DNS Server instead CF DNS Server 10.10.1.7.

Did above scenario work as expected like all Internet traffic should be handled by NIC DNS Server and only Domain and Forests related DNS Names queries will be handled by CF DNS Server, or still we can achieve our requirement, any help would be highly appreciable.

Best Regards, Ranjit Singh

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:34 AM

All replies

• Have you done the DNS conditional forwarding for www.india.com with the www included? It is supposed to work but, with DNS debug logging, you shall be able to understand more what is currently happening: https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/windows-server-cookbook/0596006330/ch13s16.html

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, December 9, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

What about your conditional forwarder setting?

The DNS Domain should be:www.india.com, like the picture:

Please refer the following article about the information of conditional forwarder:

https://medium.com/tech-jobs-academy/dns-conditional-forwarding-a-quick-configuration-b389f1b3d6d4

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:05 AM
  • Thanks for your early response, i am checking it and get back to you.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:27 AM
  • Thanks for your early response, i am checking it and get back to you.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.

Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,

Ellen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:36 AM
  • Hi Ellen,

How we can ensure that website name www.india.com is being resolved by google DNS server as we specified CF Forwarder DNS IP as 8.8.8.8 ? Kindly support us checking through DNS Logs/Traces to identify same.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

>>How we can ensure that website name www.india.com is being resolved by google DNS server as we specified CF Forwarder DNS IP as 8.8.8.8 ?

You can run the command Nslookup -set d2 to check the resolve proces of it.

Hope this can hope you.

If you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,

Ellen

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

Best regards,

Ellen

Friday, December 20, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 2:25 AM