none
Exchange 2010 Public Folder fail-over not working in two server environment RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched the forums, but have not been able to find a "definitive" answer to the public folder high availability process.  Hopefully someone can confirm if my findings are correct or not.

I have two servers holding all exchange roles and are members of a DAG for mailboxes.  I understand that public folders are not able to be made part of the DAG, but need to have a unique database on each server and replication needs to be setup.  I have setup the databases and have tested that replication works.  In my testing of the fail-over process.  If I take down the server that is defined as the default public folder server in the mailbox database setup, public folders become inaccessible to Outlook clients.  I can view the public folders using OWA so I know that they are available.  I have several users still running Outlook 2003 so the public folders are important due to free/busy info.

According to Microsoft Whitepapers, I only need the replication to ensure client access to public folders in the event of a down server, but I am thinking that since the client can't get a referral from the default public folder server that they can't redirect to the replica on the other server.  Do I need a third server that host nothing but a copy of the public folder database?  Has anyone else seen this or is this unique to my environment?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Monday, September 27, 2010 6:34 PM

Answers

• I don't think you can do fail-over with Public Folders. In case one of servers where users connect to Public Folders will be out longer, than you have to go to Mailbox Databases, and in the Client Settings tab, and change there to the next server hosting public folders replicas
    alfa21
    • Marked as answer by MikeTek Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• All folders have replicas on both servers, right?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Monday, September 27, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Yes, all folders have replicas including OAB and Free/Busy
    Monday, September 27, 2010 7:18 PM
  • The way I understand it, Outlook should be redirected to another public store that holds a replica if its current store is down.  How long are you waiting?  I don't believe that it's instantaneous.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:07 PM
  • That is my understanding also, but I have yet to prove that it works that way :)

I've waited hours....they will never connect to the replica.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Hi Guys,

What about checking Public Folder Referrals setup?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb629643.aspx

Also here is an article on double checking your replication setup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691120.aspx

I hope this helps in some way or maybe open a door to help you out.

Regards..

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:31 PM
  • I don't think you can do fail-over with Public Folders. In case one of servers where users connect to Public Folders will be out longer, than you have to go to Mailbox Databases, and in the Client Settings tab, and change there to the next server hosting public folders replicas
    alfa21
    • Marked as answer by MikeTek Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Alfa21 is correct I just found another post about the same thing.  OWA works fine, but the MAPI clients failed since they make the connection directly to the Mailbox Server which is down.

Maybe someone else can jump in on this one that has seen this in the field.

Regards.....

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Jelly Roll - I don't think that a referral can take place if the default public folder the database is pointed to is down.

alfa21 - I think you are correct, this is what my tests are proving.  I would just like to see an official Microsoft answer or whitepaper as to if what I am seeing is "working as designed"

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I think you're right, I remembered wrong when I first answered.  The answer is that you should run:

Get-MailboxDatabase -Server SERVERNAME | Set-MailboxDatabase -PublicFolderDatabase WORKINGPFDATABASE

when you have a failed public folder database or server.  When it's working again, you can run the command again to put things the way you originally designed.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 10:16 PM