none
Update default retention policy age limit

Question

• A department wants to change their default retention policy to age items in 180 days instead of 90 days. The retention policy also contains personal tags which the staff are using but which are not being touched. We want to make the change without having our IT staff or the mailbox owners having to perform any additional work or have any unintended side effects or accidentally expired messages during the transition.

If I merely update the default tag name & age limit, is there anything else that the staff or I need to do to minimize grief? How soon will new items receive the new expiration stamp? How soon will pre-existing items have their expiration stamp updated? How can we minimize expiration of existing messages during this transition? The personal tags the staff have already assigned in their mailbox will remain in place?

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:59 PM

Answers

• If you change a DPT (all untagged folders) or an RPT (special folders), then no user action is required.  The new expiry should take effect the next time the Managed Folder Assistant runs.  Changing an DPT or RPT doesn't change personal tags.

I suspect you can change personal tags as well since I'd expect that they're associated as GUIDs but that would likely confuse users.  "Why is there a 180-day tag here?  I put a 90-day tag on it!"

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:46 AM

All replies

• If you change a DPT (all untagged folders) or an RPT (special folders), then no user action is required.  The new expiry should take effect the next time the Managed Folder Assistant runs.  Changing an DPT or RPT doesn't change personal tags.

I suspect you can change personal tags as well since I'd expect that they're associated as GUIDs but that would likely confuse users.  "Why is there a 180-day tag here?  I put a 90-day tag on it!"

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Just so I'm perfectly clear, the items previously stamped with the old expiration date will be updated with the new expiration date the first time MFA runs against the mailbox? Also, I've read elsewhere that it's actually the client which stamps the items, and that Outlook would need to download all items again to re-stamp them, potentially causing performance issues?
    Friday, March 17, 2017 12:35 PM
  • As far as I know, items are not stamped with any expiration date.  What I assume happens is that the MFA evaluates items based on their age and applies the tag actions accordingly.  However, I didn't write the code so I can't tell you that authoritatively. But my experience makes me confident that's how it works.

Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:49 AM