none
Remote Desktop Services RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 servers running Server 2016. We use both servers as Terminal Servers that our users log into with Remote Desktop. Is there any clear documentation on RDS, as I want to make sure everything is setup correctly. I have both servers setup as RD Session Host, is that correct? Please see screenshot. Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seemed no problem for me from your screenshot as you deployed all roles in one server and add another server as session host.

There are two collections for separate Session host servers or you can create one collection for two session host servers which is up to you.

Here is a step by step guidance for RDS 2016 with screenshots.

You may go through the settings in case of any miss.

https://nedimmehic.org/2017/01/21/deploying-remote-desktop-services-2016-step-by-step/

Please note: Information posted in the given link is hosted by a third party. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy and effectiveness of information.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 3:12 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your feedback. I do have Collections setup. It just seems like TERMSVCS takes up a ton of memory on my server.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 11:46 AM
  • I also have the following Roles installed on both servers: RD Connection Broker, RD Session Host, RD Gateway, RD Licensing, and RD Web Access. Is it correct to have all these roles on both servers?

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

Adding second sever with same roles into the existing RDS deployment is to achieve high availability in case of one of the server shutting down accidently. But there are steps and configurations need to be done rather than simply adding roles to the server itself.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-plan-high-availability

Considering that you only have two servers, then what you have deployed before that 1 with all roles+ 1 session host is good to go.

Hope this will answer your question.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 8:01 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thanks for all the information and documentation. So you are saying since we have only 2 servers, the current setup is good to go?

Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

Yes if only two servers, your first deployment that 1 server with all and 1 server with second RDSH is good to go.

But if you would like to get 1 role in one server, you may check the version of your physical server and consider to utilize Virtual Machine to proceed.

Hope this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jenny

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this post. Please feel free to let us know if the info provided was useful.

You can click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,

Jenny

Monday, July 6, 2020 9:05 AM