none
The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Some users sporadically get the message on Outook 2003 clients that "The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook"

We have a Barracuda 340 load balancing between two Exchange 2010 Servers, and have increased the Client IP persistence time to 15 hours on MAPI RPC Client, OWA Https, SMTP, and UDP.

We have not been moving mailboxes, so why do we keep getting the Outlook restart dialog, and can it be turned off?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:05 PM

Answers

• Update:

Had a change on the load balancer to ensure affinity was set for 'source IP' and now no longer have the issue. The Enterprise Vault issue has also now seemingly gone away.

Regards

Bry

Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:59 AM

All replies

• 1. are these users enabled for exchange cache mode?

2. any error messages in your load balancer logs?

3. Activsync is being used?

Thiyagu | MCTS/MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCSE 2003[Messaging] | http://www.myExchangeWorld.com. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by Thiyagu14 Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:15 PM udpated
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:13 PM
  • 1. Uers enabled for exchange cache mode? Yes

2. Any errors messages in the load balancer? No

3. Activesync being used? No

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:25 PM
  • is it possible to disable cached mode and check?

it might be causing the issue.

also you can try repairing the OST file and try once before disabling cached mode all together.

thanks

Thiyagu

Thiyagu | MCTS/MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCSE 2003[Messaging] | http://www.myExchangeWorld.com. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:13 PM
  • If the RpcClientAccessServer field on the mailbox database is changed, that will cause this pop up to happen in Outlook.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:31 PM
  • I ran the cmdlet: Get-MailboxDatabase <DB name> | fl RpcClientAccessserver, on our databases, and the RpcClientAccessServer field is still the FQDN of our CAS array. Are there circumstances in which this field can temporarily change without user intervention?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Only when Cas arrays come and go.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Our configuration at our main site is: two exchange 2010 servers, a Barracuda 340 NLB, and mail forwarding from Clearswift SECURE Email Gateway.

Individual users still sporadically get "The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook"

Under what circumstances can CAS Arrays come and go?

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Hi, we have exactly the same problem with same barracuda model and 2 exchange server ( 2010 sp1) and we can't find any solution. Peteruk did you solve your case ?
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:58 AM
  • I am having the same issue with one of my clients. One thing we just noticed is that after this message comes up you can hit OK and still send/receive mail but Free/Busy is broken.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Yes, same behaviour too ... still no clue and i've passed may hours with MS and Barracuda' support ..

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

We're also experiencing this with Barracuda 340's. Did you ever manage to figure out what the problem was and how to solve it?  We've noticed that when we simulate a load balancer failure this is when it sometimes occurs.  At this point we haven't got a consistent set of failures.  It only happens some of the time.  Note that the HLB's are sending the clients to the same real server, so it's not switching them to another CAS (real) server.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that you have "Encrypt data between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange" check box checked on Outlook.

Are you running Exchange 2010 RTM or SP1?

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Yes the connections are encrypted and we're running SP1.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:37 AM
  • ...and so far we are only seeing this with Outlook 2010 in cached mode. 
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Seeing the same issue here with an Exchange 2010 SP1 deployment using Barracuda 340 LB. Affected clients are all using Outlook 2010 in cached mode.

We are looking into session timeouts as a possible trigger for this to happen - will update here when we have a resolution for the issue. 

Regards,

Lars

Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:23 AM
  • I'm also seeing this same problem with Barracuda 340s and Exchange 2010 SP1. Did anyone ever get a fix for it?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Hi

I have recently run into the same issue during transition from Exchange 2007 SP2 to Exchange 2010 SP1 RU5 and Outlook 2007 SP2 MSO client (online). We use a cisco css load balancer for the cas array which points to the 3x exchange 2010 sp1 servers hosting all roles in a dag.

I have tested access to the same mailbox with both an outlook 2007 and 2010 client at the same time and strangely one errored and the other didnt. I also get random free/busy errors and then it will start populating. All random.

Im intrigued on the load balancer possibly dropping tcp (rcp) sessions as I also had an issue with enterprise vault 9 using the cas array fqdn (via load balancer) that specifically errored with tcp session timeouts - by updating the local hosts file to point direct to a cas box (bypassing the nlb) it flew and no further errors.

Im curious what could trigger outlook to think a change has been made, as the rpcclientaccessserver attrib on the databases stay the same - im thinking possibly whether the session is sticky or not may be a cause?

I have tested autodiscovery and this is all fine and I cannot for the life of me find anything relevant in the exchange logs to indicate an issue (failover, switchover or change).

Currently my rpc ports are left dynamic, so im going to make these static and also up the rpc client logging to see if that can give me anything.

Any ideas?

Regards

Bry

Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Update:

Had a change on the load balancer to ensure affinity was set for 'source IP' and now no longer have the issue. The Enterprise Vault issue has also now seemingly gone away.

Regards

Bry

Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:59 AM
  • We have had this issue for sometime now.  We upgraded our environment from exchange 2003 to 2010 in July.  It is now October and we have still been getting frequent disconnects.  One thing we have in common with many of the complaints is that we are running a Barracuda 340 LB.  About a month ago we decided to contact them and let them know that we have been seeing frequent messages about disconnecting in outlook. They advised us to load the 3.6.1.009 firmware and this should fix it, so we did. That seemed to help, but recently we have been noticing some more disconnects. Nothing in the event log in the exchange server, but we do see some logs on the Barracuda. We didnt see anything on there about it dropping, but we did see in the barracuda event log where it says 'service up'. We sent those logs to the Barrracuda support team and they claimed it was an issue with their LB. They claimed that the problem is a 'race condition' with the device and they applied a patch.  We will see if this fixes the issues we have been having.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Hi

Did the patch resolve the issue? Im seeing the same with two Baracuda 440 LB with Exchange 2010.

Regards,

Jan

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Any luck finding a resolution here?  We also have a 340 array, are on Exchange 2010, and are seeing the same issue.  We are considering upgrading to 440s but it sounds like that won't resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Did that fix the issue?  
    Monday, April 14, 2014 12:51 PM
  • We had the same error show up after a MS Exchange Schema update. The msExchHomePublicMDB attribute for our mailbox databases was referencing deleted/invalid Public Folders.

After clearing the value and waiting for AD replication, the issue went away.

You can view/clear this in ADSI edit. You'll need to connect to the Configuration context. The DN of the mailbox databases is something like this:
    CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=domain,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:29 AM