Windows 2012 r2 Essentials server in a Windows Server 2008 r2 domain RRS feed

• Question

• Can I do the following with Windows 2012 r2 Essentials Server:

1. Install a new 2012r2 Essentials server and migrate the domain, domain controller function and FSMO from the current server which has 2008r2 standard installed.

2. After migration can I downgrade the 2008r2 server to be a backup domain controller.

Any help most appreciated.

KJP

Friday, September 2, 2016 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that you want to migrate from Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard to Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2, and configure the Windows Server 2008 R2 to be a backup domain controller.

>Can I do the following with Windows 2012 r2 Essentials Server.
    Yes, both of them are supported.

In general, migration steps as below:
    1. Prepare Source Server – WS 2008 R2, such as system/windows update installation, health check, back up and etc.
    2. Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as a new replica domain controller. 
    3. Join computers to the new Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server.
    4. Move settings and data.
    5. Demote and remove the Source Server.

There is an official document about “Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience”, it can also be considered as a reference for your environment:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633(v=ws.11).aspx

Besides, blog “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Migration – Keys to Success” is for your reference:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/03/31/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-migration-keys-to-success/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 2, 2016 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that you want to migrate from Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard to Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2, and configure the Windows Server 2008 R2 to be a backup domain controller.

>Can I do the following with Windows 2012 r2 Essentials Server.
    Yes, both of them are supported.

In general, migration steps as below:
    1. Prepare Source Server – WS 2008 R2, such as system/windows update installation, health check, back up and etc.
    2. Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as a new replica domain controller. 
    3. Join computers to the new Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server.
    4. Move settings and data.
    5. Demote and remove the Source Server.

There is an official document about “Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience”, it can also be considered as a reference for your environment:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633(v=ws.11).aspx

Besides, blog “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Migration – Keys to Success” is for your reference:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/03/31/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-migration-keys-to-success/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 2, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 9, 2016 5:23 AM