none
'MSExchangeSyncAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error

Question

• We receive the following error from SCOM2007 R2 for our Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4v2 CAS. I don't see anything in the event logs. I ran across the below KB but it really doesn't apply to our environment as we have no Exchange 2003. We are still running a mixed 2007 environment though. However, that won't be for much longer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639150

Alert: Application Pool worker process is unresponsive
    Source: MSExchangeSyncAppPool
    Path: CAS04.dir.contoso.com
    Last modified by: Auto-resolve
    Last modified time: 2/3/2013 4:00:04 AM
    Alert description: A process serving application pool 'MSExchangeSyncAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was '7384'. The data field contains the error number.

Alert Severity: 1
    Alert Priority: 1

Sunday, February 3, 2013 7:07 PM

Answers

• We receive the following error from SCOM2007 R2 for our Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4v2 CAS. I don't see anything in the event logs. I ran across the below KB but it really doesn't apply to our environment as we have no Exchange 2003. We are still running a mixed 2007 environment though. However, that won't be for much longer.

Alert description: A process serving application pool 'MSExchangeSyncAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was '7384'. The data field contains the error number.

and is the MSExchangeSyncAppPool still running? You can check in IIS. If the App pool is restarting , it will show in the System Logs. If things are working and no one is complaining, then I would simply continue to monitor

Twitter:

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

and is the MSExchangeSyncAppPool still running? You can check in IIS. If the App pool is restarting , it will show in the System Logs. If things are working and no one is complaining, then I would simply continue to monitor

Twitter:

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:14 PM
  • We see the same issue here. We also do not have a MS Exchange 2003 environment. Only plain Exchange 2010

We also see that IIS restart itself after that happen, BUT that drops some connections from us.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Anyone get an answer on this?
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Hey,

Yeah, we see the same problem, and ActiveSync doesnt work. REseting IIS makes verything work. Dont know if the client activesync problem has anything to do with these messages but something happens atleast.

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:28 PM
  • I'm running a mixed 2007 and 2013 environment and experiencing this same issue.  I contacted Microsoft and they said this is a "known issue" in this mixed environment.  Their "fix" is to complete the migration of all mailboxes to the 2013 server.  In the meantime I have set up a recycling schedule on the MSExchangeSyncAppPool to try and keep ActiveSync working as much as possible.

Disappointed in the "fix" offered from support, but don't really have a choice in the matter.  

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:37 AM