none
Cannot update to Exchange 2010 SP2 or SP3

Question

• Hi!

I have a fresh install of SBS 2011. When I'm trying to update the Exchange 2010 to SP2 or SP3 it fails on the "Preparing Setup" stage with the following error:

Preparing Setup
    Failed

Error:
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); 
              & $RoleBinPath\ServiceControl.ps1 Save
            " was run: "File C:\Windows\Temp\ExchangeSetup\ServiceControl.ps1 cannot be loaded because you have elected to not run this software now.".

File C:\Windows\Temp\ExchangeSetup\ServiceControl.ps1 cannot be loaded because you have elected to not run this software now.

Tried to run ServiceControl.ps1 manually and it stopped because of ExecutionPolicy set to RemoteSigned. Changed it to Unrestricted but the update keeps failing the same way...

System Administrator

Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

• OK, I found the solution:

Apparently the update failed because the Service Pack binaries downloaded from the Internet and the files where flagged with an alternate data stream (ADS), as described here.

What could we do without Mark Russinovich and his tools? Just used the Streams tool to unflag the files and it worked!

System Administrator

Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• OK, I found the solution:

Apparently the update failed because the Service Pack binaries downloaded from the Internet and the files where flagged with an alternate data stream (ADS), as described here.

What could we do without Mark Russinovich and his tools? Just used the Streams tool to unflag the files and it worked!

System Administrator

Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Hi David,

Really great information. Thank you for your sharing.

Have a nice day : )

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:17 AM
  • You're a life saver! This had me stumped for hours. Thank you!
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:29 PM
  • Thank you so much. You are a life saver.
    Monday, September 18, 2017 12:23 PM