Cluster Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

i need to remove VHD attached to VM and add back to cluster storage, if i just delete this VHD it will be back to storage automatically ?

Sunday, July 26, 2020 7:41 AM

All replies

• I'm not clear on your problem description.  Do you mean that you have a VM running on a host cluster, and that VM has a VHD attached to it, and the VHD is stored on a CSV?  If so, you should detach that VHD from the VM before deleting the VHD from the host operating system level.  Once you have deleted the VHD, the CSV will have the additional space previously held by the VHD.

tim

Sunday, July 26, 2020 1:35 PM
  • Hi Ahmed.M,

Thank you for your question. As per my understanding, you have a VM running on a cluster and you need to remove a VHD attached to it. The VHD is stored on a CSV and you want to know if you could just delete it. Please correct me if there’s any misunderstanding.

To delete the VHD file, you should stop your VM and disconnect the VHD in the settings page of the VM role in Failover Cluster Manager. Then you could delete the VHD file and the space it occupied will be returned to CSV automatically. Please make sure you have backed up the all data you stored on the VHD.

Best Regards,

Ian Xue

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2020 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Have you got a chance to verify above suggestions?

Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

If the above reply is helpful, please mark it as answer to help other community members find it easier.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 1:50 AM