none
Windows Server 2012r2: Adding a resource in Failover Cluster Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

add a resource

In WS 2008r2 this is the way one can add a resource. How do you do this in Windows Server 2012r2?Is this the way:

How do they differ(2008r2 vs 2012/r2)?

Thanks!

Saturday, December 7, 2019 4:16 PM

All replies

• You should be able to add resources in pretty much the same way.  The graphic you show is misleading because you have selected Move on the drop down menu but then highlighted Add Resource.  If you select Add Resource you will see a different list of options.

tim

Sunday, December 8, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

>>In WS 2008r2 this is the way one can add a resource. How do you do this in Windows Server 2012r2?Is this the way:

Just do the same operation in your 12R2 cluster, I took a screenshot from my 12R2 cluster, just for your reference:

>>How do they differ(2008r2 vs 2012/r2)?

No different.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, December 9, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Nothing misleading. I selected the correct option on the pic.

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:04 PM
  • I don't see how you can say that you selected the correct option.  It clearly shows the Move option selected and the Move options showing.

tim

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

I found out there is another tab to do it:

Is this the same? On your picture there is ">More resources". How does this really work?

I understand if one want to have a clustered role you go through "High Availability Wizard" selecting the right role.

Then why would you add resources to it(cluster role)?

What's the difference between adding cluster roles and adding resources, at least some of them seem to be identical. Can you elaborate on the difference?

Thanks for your time!

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Tim, you have to mouse hoover over the ”Add Resource” in the menu, in the picture you provided it shows that you have ”Move” selected.
    Sometimes the mouse hoovering can be a bit stuck on something, try mouse hoovering and clicking on ”Add Resource”.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:19 PM
  • The black one- this one is selected(add resource). The other is just left open. What are you talking about?Now you selected the one that was not selected in the first place...What's the point? Everybody knows to add resource you choose "add resource" not "move". Time wasters here.
    Monday, December 9, 2019 3:42 PM
  • Time waster.
    Monday, December 9, 2019 3:42 PM
  • Go get some coffee...
    Monday, December 9, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Just to satisfy us 'time wasters', please humor us.  Try it again and show us a new screen shot of the same screen after you have ensured that you clicked on Add Resource.  I have never seen a situation where the "other is just left open" after clicking another option.  If that were to happen, it would mean that there is a bug in the program because clicking on a new option is supposed to open the associated drop down menu.  We are not seeing that.

tim

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

I found out there is another tab to do it:

Is this the same? On your picture there is ">More resources". How does this really work?

I understand if one want to have a clustered role you go through "High Availability Wizard" selecting the right role.

Then why would you add resources to it(cluster role)?

What's the difference between adding cluster roles and adding resources, at least some of them seem to be identical. Can you elaborate on the difference?

Thanks for your time!

Hi

Lets use the File Server Role as an example.

You add create a Cluster File Server (either General Use or Scale-Out) on your cluster. During the creation process, you assign it an IP Address from the same VLAN as your Cluster Nodes and Virtual IP. Over time, you decide to create a dedicated SMB Network in your environment and add this network to your cluster. You would then Add an IP Address Resource to the File Server role with an address on the SMB Network.

I agree with you that there is duplication and apart from DTC, the IP address one is the only one I have ever used. 

Hope this helps

Thanks

Michael

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Low IQ individuals here. This was just a pic taken from the internet, when somebody opened different option. I clearly selected in black the right one- because it was also there. As simple as this. First pic- clearly selected in black the right one. I think somebody's drinking too much of this Kool Aid. You are wasting my time and your. You are an low IQ individual. Don't need to write anymore. Go somewhere else- why here? 
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:34 PM
  • There is no need to call people different things, remember we are here to offer help and we are doing this on our own will. Your original question has already been answered, the picture that you provided simply added some confusion that’s all.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:13 PM spelling
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:42 PM
  • But you did not offer any solution here, instead brought your own confusion to the matter. Why write not on the topic?
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:35 PM