none
Outlook 2003 error-Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem

Question

• AppName: outlook.exe      AppVer: 11.0.8010.0     AppStamp:43d16d53
    ModName: msmapi32.dll      ModVer: 11.0.8002.0      ModStamp:4373069d
    fDebug: 0       Offset: 00021f57

Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem. 

I am receiving the following above and can not seem to fix it.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.  As soon as I launch outlook, i get the microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:02 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same error too from today. Any clues ?
    Friday, October 13, 2006 11:38 AM
  • this seems to be happenning only for a particular account in my Outlook. The other accounts are working fine. I am also able to send emails using the problematic account. It is only when I click to Receive emails from the problematic account that this error shows up. Is there any way I can recreate the account without having to loose the emails or without having to download the emails again ?

• Proposed as answer by LUCDISPLAY Friday, January 23, 2009 1:38 PM
    Friday, October 13, 2006 1:28 PM
  • Arun-

If this account is Exchange or Outlook Connector for Mdaemon you can remove the account and recreate without losing the data. If this is a pop account, all removing the profile would do would be to remove the association between the pop email account and the PST file located locally on your workstation (or server if that is how you have it configured.) I have run into this problem with both pop, exchange and outlook connector for mdaemon profiles and often then recreation of the profile fixed the issue. If this does not work, a reinstallation of Outlook is in order.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:42 PM
  • Encountered the exact same problem - when retreiving from a POP account - starting at approximately the same day. Suddenly.

Recreating the profile does not help.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:49 PM
  • I tried doing the following in vain:

I created a new .pst file and I downloaded all the emails again till the date before I started having this problem (good thing that I was able to remember the date!). And then there was no problem even when I tried downloading the remaining. Then I completed downloading the emails and tried the Receive button again to test if it was fine, but the same error popped up again now.

So the next thing I did was to remove the emails of that particular date, a day before that date and after that date from the email server. Then I tried downloading all the emails again after creating a new .pst file. This time also I finished downloading all the emails and when I hit Receive button again, I got the same error again !

This is a normal POP email address (@rediffmail.com) and there are about 13,000+ emails and the .pst file is around 300 MB.

Please tell me what else I can try ?

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:44 AM
  • ArunOnline & All

I did exactly the same - except I set up an entirely new profile in outlook. However - still in vain.

I received the problem at approximately the same time as you did (my first occurence was October 10th) - on a standard POP email address with about 23.000 emails or so. Standard POP address (through www.one.com).

Starting to figure what the root cause could be - and came up with two suggestions:

1. the content in a specific (spam) mail causing this - or
    2. some MS security update causing this?

Any more theories?

How does one raise this to MS support? It seems to be some type of general problem?

Jan (jan.morath@dspanel.com)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:01 AM
  • I have the exact same problem and it started Oct 31. My problem caused me to lose the most recent 30 or so emails in my Inbox leaving behind the empty lines where the emails used to be listed. Also the scrolling function becomes disabled.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice to no avail. Every time I start Outlook I get the "Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem" error and it asks me if I want to send an error report to Microsoft...and I have...probably 20 times. Sometimes the problem will shut down the PC and go into a reboot. I'm cluless and ready to revert back to Outlook Express.  

Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:46 AM
  • I'm haveing the same problem, hope to not have to re-install outlook witch would most likely mean rebuilding the PC.

One out of 20 pc's, 5 have pocket pc's connected, Problem is on a new laptop with pocket pc.

Was ok untill about the same time frame.

Let me know if anyone comes up with fix.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:06 PM
  • I've been having the same problem for about three weeks and I've tried everything uninstalling, creating a new profile etc.

found this solution on the Osnn.net forum which was related to some outlook calendar problem. The problem seems to be the msmapi32.dll file located in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033" 

outlook needs to be closed before doing this

I replaced the current file with and older version of msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) and renamed the current msmapi32.bak (just in case something went wrong). I then deleted my current outlook profile (I'm using MDaemon connector) and created a new profile. so far no problems.

reading through different forums there seems to be a lot of problems relating to the msmapi32.dll file and the mapi32.dll file. why doesn't MS support come up with an answer or fix?

• Proposed as answer by JOHNEYPULIKKAN Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:05 AM
    Sunday, November 05, 2006 10:16 PM
  • mikksa, thank you for the first proposed solution in this thread!

However a remaining minor question: Where do I find the appropriate (older) version of MSMAPI.DLL?

Monday, November 06, 2006 7:03 AM
  • jannemSE

the file in question is the one that comes with Service Pack 1 (or an earlier version) so you need to find someone that hasn't updated to SP2 yet and copy the file from there. otherwise i have a copy so i could always zip it to you.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:12 PM
  •  

I am having the same problem and have tried, detecting/repair, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc. with no luck.  Is there any way you could send me a copy of the file from service pack 1?

thanks

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:01 PM
  • oops, email address is toomqr1@yahoo.com  thanks
    Friday, November 10, 2006 9:03 PM
  • This problem seems to include Outlook 2000 through Outlook 2007. That is bad.

I have been having this problem with Outlook 2000. The error message "Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close" occurs while I am reading email and when I close the Outlook problem.

I also get the error message "Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close" every few minutes through the entire time I am using my computer. The message keeps appearing and reappearing even when I have not opened any Office program.

I hope that the solution to your problem will also fix mine. Since the same problem has been in Outlook for 7-years,  I think that I will wait for a fix before buying Office 2007

KC4COP

Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:00 PM
  •  

One week and no error messages after replacing my msmapi32.dll file with the older version.

mikksa

Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:18 PM
  • Thats great mikksa... can you send me the msmapi32.dll file ?
    Monday, November 13, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for sending me the file. The version you gave me was 11.0.6361.0

Unfortunately, I still get the error even after replacing it. I had recreated the Mail Account and also create a new .pst file and downloaded the whole mails again. But when I tried receiving the mails again, I got the error again.

My outlook.exe version is 11.0.8010.0 - Do you think I should replace this also with an older version ?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:56 AM
  • Hi have just read about the problem you seem to have cured i am so pleased i thought i was going mad.My daughters boyfriend has tried all sorts to fix but has not been able to, i hope this may help him to fix it.I have been using Firefox as a browser now which is fine but i still have a problem in that on some e mails if i wish to see some thing and "click" on a picture or link to view it obviously for some reason it trys to go via I.E. and i get the same message so cannot view.
    I will let you know how it goes, many thanks for your help on here.
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:02 PM
  • Thanks for the file to.

Lika ArunOnline however my problem persisted.

And I finally gave up.

I've changed to using eudora as an email client for pop instead - works fine.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:42 PM
  •     I am RECIEVING AN ERROR POP UP EVERY TIME WHEN SHUTTNG DOWN

PC GOES INTO RESTART ..

Friday, November 17, 2006 1:37 AM
  • Install Business Contact Manager Service Pack 2 & 3.  It worked for me!!
    Friday, November 17, 2006 9:20 PM
  • jannemSE

Sorry to hear that the fix didn't work.

I haven't had any error messages for two weeks now ("touch wood")

I'm using Outlook Connector for Mdaemon and my mail is sittng on a server. My Outlook 2003 version is 11.0.8010.0 (SP2)and I replaced my msmapi32.dll file with version 11.0.5601. I guess this fix depends on what configuration, how your mail is set up and what updates has been installed etc.

Another solution that some of my collegues has used is to uninstall Office 2003 and install Office 2000 instead.

Good luck to all of you out there that are struggling with Outlook 2003.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 4:01 PM
  • Please send me the msmapi.dll file dated 6/23/2004 so I can get my Office 2003 Outlook running again.

Thanks for your help.  kagroseclose@cox.net

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:45 PM
  • I wonder if Internet Explorer 7 is the cause of this Outlook error outbreak.
    I narrowed down the common denominator in two affected machines to the recent installation of this update.
    Uninstalling the update reinstates IE6 and cures the problem - at least for my machines.

Martin
    Monday, December 04, 2006 11:40 AM
  • Beetroot

I installed IE7 a week ago and no problems so far and also it's 5 weeks now without any error messages since I replaced the msmapi32.dll file.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:10 PM
  • I never installed IE 7.0 and still had the problem. Anyway, I fixed the problem by upgrading to Outlook 2007 ! :)

Friday, December 15, 2006 8:44 AM
  • Same problem as outlined above. could anyone email the specific msmapi32.dll file to me to try that fix? Many thanks. thefargarden(at)gmail.com
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:32 AM
  • I am having the same problem!  If anyone could email me the file, too at mef443(at)earthlink.net , I would be really grateful!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:28 AM
  • mikksa & jannemSE:

Unfortunately, I now have the same problem. Could you please zip a copy of the file to me? My email address is as below.

Thanks.

alyata@hotmail.com

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Can you please send that file older version of msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) to kuthuru@hotmail.com, that will be a great help

Thanks

Reddi

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:21 AM
  •  

I have the same problem - can someone send me the file also, please ?  Thanks

My e-mail is mathurraj@hotmail.com

Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:36 PM
  • I have the exact same problem .

Can someone send me the file also, please ? 

Thanks

My e-mail is george_kol@hotmail.com

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:01 AM
  • try to remove the mail account before the error window shows up... when i choose tools>accounts ang manage the accounts outlook don't shows an error. Than add the account again

that solve my problem

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:44 AM
  • Guys my job is at stake! have battled with this error for a month now all in vain, pls rescue me our outlook is now not functional, the error signature is as follows:

AppNameSurpriseutlook.exe      AppVer: 11.0.6565.0     AppStamp:42cacc7d         ModName:msmapi32.dll           ModVer:11.0.6566.0

ModStamp:42cdb657     fDebug:0      Offset:00011e57. 

I also use MDaemon Outlook connector which is ok with all users. This errror is from only three users out of 47 users. if its possible to emai me that older version of msmapi32.dll pls i'll appreciate. Thanx

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:47 AM
  • I'm having the same problem here, it's driving me mad !

Could someone email me the msmapi32.dll file ? thankz.

jessedeboom@kpnplanet.nl

Greetings, Jesse.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:39 PM
  • alyata

Hi.  Have been searching for answers to this same problem, and it seems that you got some help.  I don't seem able to find the post that you replied to regarding them sending you a zip copy.

If I have got this right, then you were getting  the "microsoft outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close".  If so, then please let me know, because I am going mad tryng to fix this problem.

email is   nickyglh@hotmail.com
    Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Hi all,

I also need the file msmapi.dll file dated 6/23/2004....please send to shane.morris@rogers.com

Thanks
    Shane
    Monday, July 09, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Did anyone find a good resolution for this issue?  I'm still running into the problem.  I can be reached at  jamrus1@bellsouth.net
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:03 AM
  • I replaced the msmapi32.dll (version11.0.6361) on Windows 2003 SP1 server with the version (11.0.8002) on my XP SP2 desktop. I'm no longer getting the error on the server.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:44 PM
  • can you please send me a copy of the file as well?

todde@cmw-equip.com

Thank you.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I am sick about this error. I'm days behind trying to deal with it. Truly appreciate that dll forwarded to dcalloy@hotmail.com

Thanks for the time.

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:03 PM
  •  

I wnat to change the file msmapi32.dll

How can i do that?

Pls send the older version of the file msmapi32.dll
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:40 PM
  •  

Please send me the older version of msmapi32.dll too! All of my systems have already been patched here. My email is: alison.rose@aastra.com  Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:17 PM
  • I am having the same problem please send me the older version of msmapi32.dll ?

brae19@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

D

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Mikksa, if it isn't too much trouble, I am having the very same issue and cannot locate the msmapi32.dll 11.0.5601.  Would you care to email it to me?  That MS doesn't have this available for download, since it seems to be a massive issue, is beyond me.

Try Googling msmapi32.dll 11.0.8002.0 and see what you get.  Pages and pages of this misery.

My address is olsonkelly@comcast.net.  Please let me know if you cannot.

Many Thanks,

MDK

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I just recovered from it.  Not five minutes ago - here's what happened.

Turns out if you send in the notice that your system crashed enough times, what ends up happening is the following:

1.  You send the error in, and at the end, it thanks you, and there's a hyperlink you click giving you more information about your error.  Believe me when I say that I mashed the 'Send' button on telling MS about the error almost a dozen times, and never got this prompt.  BE SURE NOT TO BLOW OFF THE HYPERLINK, because this is the only way to find out SP3 of Office is available, and it will require to YET AGAIN install the MS Genuine Advantage DLL, and yet again install the new Office Update Installer Active X control before finding out that a new SP 3 is available.

2.  It then tells you the error was MS's fault (there's news) and then it says SP3 FOR OFFICE IS AVAILABLE!!!!!!!

3.  This is extraordinary, because in ensuring I had the latest updates for all my OS software and Office software, it told me using Windows Update that I have every new version of everything I could ever want.  To the point that the only new fixes availabe were add-in's and other creature comfort enhancements to Office.

4.  Long story short, it installs TWO new fixes - 1 is the SP3 for Office 2003, the second is an UPDATED SPAM FILTER DLL.  Turns out THIS LATTER FILE  is the actual culprit.  Something flips a bit on the dll and shuts down your ability to receive ANYTHING on certain accounts.  No way to reset this.  Thus, the new improved DLL.  Not a freaking word about this on any forum.  As far as technet is concerned, as late as Sept 4, people were still having this issue world wide.

Anyway, I'm back, and without burning more time waiting in MS's support queue either.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:37 PM
  •  

Hiya guys,

one of my client too is getting the same problem with Outlook. Outlook 2003 crashes randomly with the message that ' Microsoft Outlook 2003 has encountered a problem.. ' . Please advise and sent me the required msmapi32.dll file on my email ' dvinod25@gmail.com '

Many thanks...

vinod

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:42 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Facing the same problem and would appreciate if someone can send me the required msmapi32.dll

It all started after I installed the latest update of the Microsoft Connector software to get hotmail in Outlook.

I also have the same issue with the Genuine installation.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Jan

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

I'm strugling with the same problem.

Are you able to send me a copy of the correct msmapi32.dll file? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

email: jan_dedecker@hotmail.com

Cheers

Jan

Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:41 PM
  • Hey there, I took the advice of others and finally found the file in a cab file on my Office 2003 CD. I extracted it and replaced my newer msmapi32.dll file nad no crashes yet. Let's hope it stays that way. I also sent that file to anyone that had asked for that file in the past few months.

I hope it works for you...Surprise))

Daryl

Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:37 PM
  • I have been dealing with this issue last few days.  I already had a problem in Outlook 2003 receiving multiple emails both in the inbox and Junk Box - I thought I had inadvertently set a rule that caused this issue but my rules and alerts would not work at all.  Finally I uninstalled and thought I would reinstall.  When I uninstalled I took everything to do with Office off my computer.  There was a Office 2003 trial version that I had not activated so I removed that also. 

When I reinstalled I got this same message and I did get the link for the updates and followed that.  After installing the updates I still retained the problem.  I removed the Junk filter update and still got the problem. 

Any more suggestions?  I am going to try removing all again and then updating only to spervice pack 3. 

Ms annie

ssharon48@excite.com

Friday, September 28, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Seems my problem has a different reason.

Found out that it was related to the Linkedin Toolbar.

Once I removed the program, outlook works again properly.

Cheers

Jan

Monday, October 01, 2007 8:43 AM
  • We were having the same problem everyone is describing here, except it was only our Outlook 2003 machines.  It started abruptly this past Monday 10/1/07.  We eventually found the cause of the problem:  One user just started creating meeting requests from a Public Folder calendar.  In addition, they were including a screenshot within the meeting request, which I have no proof at this time if the screenshot caused the problem.

One of our technicians solved the problem like this -- I pasted his solution below:

I have fixed a couple of these by taking Outlook offline and synchronizing the folders separately.  Once I identified which folder was bombing out, I created a PST and moved everything from that folder that had been added to it since Monday.  Sync all of the folders again manually and bring Outlook back on line until Outlook says all folders are up to date.  Then move the items back into the folders they belong in, in the users regular mailbox a little at a time until you find the email that takes it down.  Both computers had a Meeting Request that had a screen shot of EBS in it that was the culprit.  One was in the deleted folder and the other was on the calendar.  The Meeting Request was sent by the same person, xxxxxxxx.  When I tried to copy the request back into the users regular calendar it would take Outlook down.  I even created a new appointment in Outlook and pasted the details into it and it still crashed Outlook.  I finally just deleted the screen shot and everything seems to be normal.  I tried to forward the Meeting Request to myself so I could pass it around but as soon as I try, outlook crashes.  I saved the original email in a PST on one of the computers if someone wants to figure out why a screen shot would cause that problem.

So recreating a profile may or may not work unless you delete the email that is causing the problem first.

----------------------------------

I hope this helps someone.

Friday, October 05, 2007 6:12 PM
  •  

Hi,

This problem just popped up last week for me.  Is somebody able to send me a copy of the correct msmapi32.dll file? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

email: jdewhurst@harvard.ca

Jim

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:24 PM

• Hi,

I discovered this thread after Outlook 2003 crashed on me last Monday, 10/8/07.  When I first sent an error report, I got back a message to update Outlook, which I did to SP 3, version 11.0.8173.0.  It has since repeatedly crashed at start-up: Outlook opens, it displays my files, then gives the "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem..." message and closed. 

I've tried: using the inbox repair tool the one time I could get into Outlook; opening with an older .pst file from before the crash;  using the "repair" button in the add/remove hardware  menu in control panel;  uninstalling and reinstalling  Outlook;  opening Outlook with no  .pst file available and importing my inbox.  Everytime, except the last, it crashed just after Outlook started.  With the last fix, it opened with no .pst file, but then crashed when I imported messages.

Any new ideas out there?

Thanks,
    Marge
    Monday, October 15, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Does anyone have the msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) file they could send me.  I am close to rebuilding and really would like to try this solution first.  Thanks! ryan.1106@hotmail.com

Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:51 PM
  • Fixed this by reenabling any disabled network connections.

Not sure why this worked but that was definately my problem.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 10:15 AM
  • Hi all,  my sister was just visiting and changed my email from outlook express to Outlook 2000.  I am now getting the Microsfot outlook has encountered..... message evertime I try to open it.  I was hoping that whoever is sending everyone what might be a fix: msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) file that you could send it to me too.  I would be very grateful.  my email is buffarama@suddenlink.net  

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:37 PM
  •  

I work for a computer corp and have a client that has this same exact issue.  Please send the msmap32.dll v. 11.0.5601 file to tobydobo@gmail.com.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:18 PM
  •  

I work for a computer corp and I have a client with the same exact issue.  Please send the msmapi32.dll v. 11.0.5601 to tobydobo@gmail.com.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I'm receiving this message often whenever I close outlook.  Funny, it didn't close itself, I close it and I get this error message about 70% of the time.

Whattsup with that?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:55 PM
  • What file do I need and where do I get it?

wbruce@americancybercafe.net

Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:59 PM
  •  

is anyone still monitoring this thread?  If so, please send the file to tobydobo@gmail.com.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Could someone also send the file msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) to kthavir@juno.com

Thanks

Saturday, December 01, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Since Bruce happened to stumble upon the Exchange Unified Mesaging forum about this I thought I would reply here as well.

If anyone is looking for MSMAPI32.dll of version 11.0.5601 this is the version in Office 2003 Service Pack 1, as seen in  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/872839/en-us. If you are running a version higher than Service Pack 1 I would not recommend trying to just replace this file with an older version from Service Pack 1.

Using Windows Update should allow you to update to the most recent version of Office 2003 and any related fixes.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 1:16 AM
  •  Brad Wilson [MS] wrote:

Since Bruce happened to stumble upon the Exchange Unified Mesaging forum about this I thought I would reply here as well.

If you are running a version higher than Service Pack 1 I would not recommend trying to just replace this file with an older version from Service Pack 1.

Using Windows Update should allow you to update to the most recent version of Office 2003 and any related fixes.

In trying to solve this problem, I upgraded to Service Pack 3 and then applied all the recommended updates.  It did not solve the problem. 

Understand, Outlook does not shut itself down on me. What happens is that when I shut it down, I get the error message.  It's not debilitating, but it sure is a nuissance.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Relative to Brad's comments, I too am running Office SP3 and am having the problem trying to open Outlook 2003.  What is the danger of copy/pasting an older version of the msmapi32.dll?  Is there any harm in trying?

Thanks for the help and comments!

Sunday, December 02, 2007 7:27 PM
  •  

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to this as I work a Wednesday to Saturday shift and don't get as many chances to visit here from home as much as I would like to.  The main reason why you should replace file from an older release of any our products is that as we progress in versions we include fixes (security and stability) into the products and when you replace files from older versions you are actually removing fixes from the product. Another thing to consider is that when a program is compiled and released certain files might have dependencies on others in the same build and changing these might cause problems.

Things that can help troubleshoot this is the following:

1) Trying to run Outlook with out add-ins and verifying whether the issue continues

2) Stating the exact error message

3) Include the event in the application event log with the error message as seen in the first entry in this post.

Friday, December 07, 2007 3:13 PM
  •  

Could someone also send the file msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) to rikkiwonka@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:57 AM
  •  

I had the exact problem and resolved it by renameing the .NK2 file. (Change it to anything)

In my case, this is located in the outlook config folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook". PS: show hidden files.

Friday, December 14, 2007 1:51 PM
  • We resolved the problem by setting up a new profile in Control Panel and then copying in contacts, calendar, etc.  It seems to work ok in the new profile.  We just left the old profile and don't use it. 

Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:05 PM
  • I have the same outlook 2003 problem. Is it possible to mail me the fix: msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601)?

My email address is huub12@yahoo.com

Thanks, Hubert

Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:04 PM
  •  

I am too having the same problem while exiting or entering Outlook, and receiving new emails. Could someone please send me the updated msmapi file?

kivelait1@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Monday, January 07, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Please please help me!
    I need the old file too I guess... I just don't know what to do with it when I get it.
    I'm a novice.

Can someone please send me detailed instructions.
    I can't even get into my outlook to make any changes it keeps shutting off.

rb.oh(at)yahoo.com (do not spam please)

Best regards,
    RBOH
    Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:17 PM
  • I have the same problem, tried reinstalling Office and when that didnt work I have reimaged the pc. Nothing seems to work.

I have Outlook 2003 with SP 2.0.

Can someone help me with the instructions. My e-mail id is jairajiv@hotmail.com.

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:12 PM
  • I'm also expericing the same problem with Outlook 2003.  I've tried reinstalling Outlook, recreating the profile and etc..  at this point nothing seems to work.  Please send me a copy of the earlier version of MSMAPI32.dll.  My current file version is 11.0.8002.0..  Please help!!!  I'm all out of options.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:56 PM
  • I also encountered this problem lately, but only when I try to enter a new Appointment or an All Day Activity in the Calendar. All other functions seem to be working fine.

Not being able to use the Calendar is a MAJOR problem however.

I created a new virgin profile with a new virgin .pst, and got exactly the same message.

I uninstalled and re-installed Outlook 2003 and the problem is still there.

I checked for Office updates, and as of February 14th I seem to have the most up to date software.

I am using Outlook 2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3.

I tried to run Outlook from the command line with the /Cleanprofile and the /CleanReminders options, but that did not help at all.

Has anyone any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:10 PM
  •  

SatMan435 I have the same exact problem -- it just started today without having made a change to the system.  All of your details are the same for me.  Outlook 2003 SP3.  I have tried the newer MSMAPI32.dll and the origional from the install disc.  I have copied the old file, blown away my profile, detect and repair, repair intall, uninstall and reinstall -- I have tried no SP, SP2 and SP3... it all ends in an error if I play with the calendar. Outlook works 100% as it should unless creating or opening an appointment on the calendar.  I have tried all of the suggestions in this thread and am about ready to move back to Office 2k.

Any new theories?  

Thank you all for the good suggestions.   

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Could someone please send me the file as well? I'm at my wit's end and I'm hoping the file will work for me too.

Outlook won't even let me do ANYTHING. As soon as I open it, it pops up and says it has to colse

Thanks so much!

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 9:18 PM
  • I am also experiencing the same issue.  Could you please send me the msmapi32.dllv.11.05601 along with instructions to maiajones7@aol.com.  Also, how do I download this file if I can't open up Outlook?

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Good job! Replacing MSMAPI32.dll fixed the issue.  I replaced it with a newer version of msmapi32.dll and it still worked.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 03, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Can someone please send me the MSMAPI32.dll file at rapturous22@yahoo.com. Thanks a bunch.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:50 PM
  •  

Someone please send me the file to jblantonbpn@gmail.com THANKS!
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:42 PM
  • If someone has the msmapi.32.dll file I would appreciate it being sent to grindstonefiber@gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, May 02, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I am having the same error problems. If someone has the msmapi.32.dll file (v 11.05601) please send it to me.  I would appreciate it.  It is worth a try.  bleelt at att dot net

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:29 PM
  •  

Could someone also send the file msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) to j.setra@k2consultancy.com

Thanks

Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:17 PM
  • In the last few days, I've begun getting this same error message on Outlook 2003.  Downloaded all possible updates, including SP3, to no avail.  It seems that some have been having luck with this file - could someone please send it to me, please, at keri-c at cox dot net?

Thanks - Keri

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Can someone send me this file too. I get the message when i try and Sut outlook down. Not a huge problem but realy anoying.

licia.tremblay@hotmail.com

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:43 PM
  •  

Hey guys,

I found this thread while googling the error message and just wanted to say that I was able to stop this error when I disabled AVG's exchange extension.  (client had AVG 8.0 free installed)

tools - options - other - advanced options - Add-in manager -

I can make the error happen 100% of the time If I enable this extension.

hope this helps someone else Smile

Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:28 PM
  • I have been suffering the pains of this error for a week now. It seems to have occurred around the same time I upgraded to AVG 8.0 (purchased) and also Microsoft service pack 3.......

The suggestion re disabling AVG's exchange extension seems to work. However my question is what does the AVG exchange extension do in the first place?

More than happy to turn it off as long as it doesn't create any further issues.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:20 AM
  • I replaced the msmapi32.dll  file and it didn't work, however disabling the AGV Exchange Extension has and with no impact on either AGV or outlook.

NB: I notified AGV Tech support and yet to receive an answer..... Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the fix
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Wow, after putting up with this for some time, this is great info.  After disabling the AGV extension, Outlook now closes properly.  Thanks for the fix.  I will be interested to see what if anything, AGV tech support has to say.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:59 AM
  • I recently got this error in Outlook also and I wrote up a post on 7 ways you can try to fix it! Hope it helps someone....

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I removed all my Outlook Add-Ins and enabled them one at a time. I can recreate the problem consistently by opening a folder and clicking the up and down arrows a few times and will get it. It does close me out of Outlook and restarts it. I found that the Symantec AntiVirus Outlook Protection is the cause in my case.

Thanks for the help!!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Hello,

Could you please advise me on how to disable the AVG exchange extension.  I keep getting an error every time I open Outlook 2002?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:13 AM
  • If you are getting the following error...

“Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Try disabling any password manager application like the HP Credential manager which comes installed on HP machines.

Also try removing unwanted windows start up items by going to Start > Run > msconfig > Hit OK > Start up tab

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:21 AM
  • Me toooooo!... this is typical Microhard.... provide the software and no real fix... imagine if we were to sell products like Microsoft does !!!...

Could someone please email me the same file please..... I have tried almost everything... and I am not a dummy !

Thanks in advance... Big Smile
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:12 AM
  • I figured it out for my scenario. First note that I know what the trigger is to cause it to happen. For me, it is always clicking the up or down arrow within a message to go to another message. People here have had different symptoms and this fix seemed to work.

I removed all Outlook add-ins, tested and the problem was gone. Then I added one add-in at a time and everything was fine until I added the SAV add-in.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Yes. You may have to Reinstall your Outllook or perhaps do the ghost on you Pc foloow the rules into your company = ghost
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:48 PM
  • ArunOnline said:

I'm getting the same error too from today. Any clues ?

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:50 PM
  • You must make a  ghost on your Pc
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:37 PM
  • Mikksa,

I fixed the problem as using your solution.
    One thing I did deferent was all of our computers at work are RISed and they have msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) in I-386 folders seperately.
    I copied it from I-386 folder and pasted it in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 after changing the name of current msmpai32.dll to msmpai32.bak.
    Then, I removed the current outlook account and recreated one, and it finally fixed the error.
    Thanks

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 5:25 AM
  • EXCELLENT SUGGESTION.. YOU HAD SAVED MY DAY. WITH A .PST SIZE OF 7GB ON A POP ACCOUNT-- OTHERWISE, I WOULD HAVE HAD TO SPEND MY ENTIRE WEEK TO REINSTALL AND RE-DOWNLOAD MY EMAILS.

THANKS A LOT...
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Johney,

Could you advise what the fix was? I am having same issue with 3.5 GB pst file.

Thank you,

D
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I noticed that the one that I was working on would happen anytime that there was a Send/Receive.

All I had to do to fix it was to click on “Folder List” (located on the lower left hand portion of the window and looks like a folder)

Then go to “Sync Issues” (located on the left hand portion of the window and is under the user's Mailbox)

I deleted all the Sync Issues that were inside all of these folders (three different ones (Conflicts, Local Failures and Server Failures)).

This immediately solved my user’s issues. No further action was required.

• Proposed as answer by Commo Chief Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:48 PM
  • I am having the same problem, BUT I JUST DONT FIND THE ANSWER. no where in microsoft.com says anything about it. have you come up with an answer?

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Can you start the outlook via command prompt outlook.exe /resetnavpane and see if it works  (Start -run-cmd)

Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm using Outlook 2000, and get the following problem, a few seconds after I startup the program:

AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.2416 ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 000116f4

Mikksa's solution:

I've been having the same problem for about three weeks and I've tried everything uninstalling, creating a new profile etc. found this solution on the Osnn.net forum which was related to some outlook calendar problem. The problem seems to be the msmapi32.dll file located in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033" outlook needs to be closed before doing this I replaced the current file with and older version of msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) and renamed the current msmapi32.bak (just in case something went wrong). I then deleted my current outlook profile (I'm using MDaemon connector) and created a new profile. so far no problems. reading through different forums there seems to be a lot of problems relating to the msmapi32.dll file and the mapi32.dll file. why doesn't MS support come up with an answer or fix?
    I've tried to find that path but didn't succeed. Wat is the solution for Outlook 2000!?
    Thanks
    Emonk
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:25 PM