Delete legacy exchange data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I performed test migration from SBS 2008 to SBS 2011 and it was successful (public folder replication is still the problem) but main problem is one that earlier was performed SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration but unfortunately routing group connectors wasn't deleted, and also first administrative group still exist. 
    When I run ExchBPA on SBS 2011 it shows me first admin group with exchange server that is not in the domain any more. Also after I delete routing group connectors via shell errors and warnings starts to pile up.
    Although this is for now test migration I am going to perform real one soon. 
    How can I delete those legacy exchange information on new server ? Can I do that via ADSIEdit and if there is can you send me instructions I don't want to delete something that is not meant to be deleted.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:26 AM

Answers

• If all these events are saying that they cannot find a way to get to the 2003 server, you basically need to delete the server object of 2003 server;

You can use ADSIEDIT > Configuration > Services path and locate the server under first adminsitrative group.

Please ensure that you have full backup before you delete anything.

In ideal cases Exchange should have been removed during the 2003 - 2008 migration using SBS 2003 integrated setup.

• Proposed as answer by Vibha Deshpande Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:11 PM

All replies

• What happens when you try to remove-routinggroupconnector ?

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:07 AM
  • After I performed that command , and after I deleted route connectors to the old SBS 2003 I received this error and warning messages :

Event ID 5020 The topology doesn't contain a route to exchange server 2003 name.domain.local in routing group CN=first routing group, CN=routing groups, CN=first administrative group, CN Administrative Groups, CN=domain,CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN services,CN=configuration,DC=name,DC=local in the routing tables with the timestamp .....

Event ID 5006 Cannot find route to mailbox server <path to public folder store>

Event ID 5006 Cannot find route to mailbox server <path to mailbox folder store>

event ID 5009 ... 

on every 6h.

I performed that cmdlet on new SBS 2011 

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:42 AM
  • If all these events are saying that they cannot find a way to get to the 2003 server, you basically need to delete the server object of 2003 server;

You can use ADSIEDIT > Configuration > Services path and locate the server under first adminsitrative group.

Please ensure that you have full backup before you delete anything.

In ideal cases Exchange should have been removed during the 2003 - 2008 migration using SBS 2003 integrated setup.

• Proposed as answer by Vibha Deshpande Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hi I've deleted old entries, and I will let you know later or tomorrow if some new errors are reported. Can you please read this post and let me know how to handle further since problem with transferring public folders didn't succeeded.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi, since I have a problem transferring public folders, can I skip this step and what will happen if I skip it. We have just one PF, and there are some contacts. Can I just copy afterwards contacts from outlook once again there (they are the same)??? And what about free busy information ??
    If you just have one public folder you can export it into a PST file and later on import it once the migration is complete.
    If all your clients are 2007 we don't need Public folders for any Exchange related operation.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Can you tell me how to export PF into a PST file ??  
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:07 PM
  • How to manage.pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

Refer to the section: How to export .pst file data

• Edited by Vibha Deshpande Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:15 PM add information
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi I wanted to say that no new error messages appeared in Event Viewer .

Thank you 

Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:08 AM