none
Can't manage distribution group from Outlook with Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2013 mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In my environment we are using exchange 2010 that contains the distribution groups which has been migrated from exchange 2003 environment .On that one of the distribution group is having an problem for the user who had an access to manage DL'S via outlook but he can't able to manage it.When we add the new user to manage same DL and the new user tries to manage the DL via outlook it happens without any issues. 

issue occurs only for the user who has already have the manage access permission on the DL where the group was on exchange 2003 before migrated to exchange 2010.

Reffered blog : http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2586832?wa=wsignin1.0

We have done all the settings defined on the above mentioned link but still we are facing the issue.

In addition to that , we have forcefully upgraded the DL too by using the below mentioned command.

set-distributiongroup -identity "name of the problematic DL" -forceupgrade

Please all of you provide your valuable suggestions to overcome this issue .

Error message :

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Friday, October 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed/Amy.Wang,

Sorry for My delayed response .

On our side issue has been resolved by running the below mentioned command .

Get-DistributionGroup –ID “DistributionGroupName” | Set-DistributionGroup –ForceUpgrade

Refereed Blog: http://www.savagenomads.net/2012/02/16/moving_distribution_list_from_exchange_2003_to_2010/

Thanks a lot ED/Amy.Wang for your responses and suggestions.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Monday, October 13, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Of course as you said i have utilized the command before i am posting here .

But on the user end ,she keep on trying without closing and reopen the outlook and also she didn't log off and log on her profile .

After log off / log in and outlook restart resolved our issue .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham 

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

• Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, October 20, 2014 8:44 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please someone shed some light on this case .

Actually i tried my best but i can't able to rectify it .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Friday, October 10, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Hi

Can you manage it from the server in the ECP or the EMS?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:17 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In my environment we are using exchange 2010.

User can able to manage DL via EMS & ECP but it is not happening via outlook.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Hi

So its only the one DL that the user cannot manage or are their more?

What if you create a new role and grant permissions to this user, wait for the changes to sync and then try edit the DL again?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:31 PM
    Owner
  • Hi S.Nithyanandham,

From your description, I would like to verify if the problematic manager user is a member of security group. If yes, this issue will occur. In Exchange 2010, distribution groups can't be managed by groups, only individual users can manage groups. But in Exchange 2003, it is possible to use groups to manage a distribution group.

For more information, here is a blog for your reference.

How to manage groups with groups in Exchange 2010

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/05/04/how-to-manage-groups-with-groups-in-exchange-2010.aspx

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hi Ed/Amy.Wang,

Sorry for My delayed response .

On our side issue has been resolved by running the below mentioned command .

Get-DistributionGroup –ID “DistributionGroupName” | Set-DistributionGroup –ForceUpgrade

Refereed Blog: http://www.savagenomads.net/2012/02/16/moving_distribution_list_from_exchange_2003_to_2010/

Thanks a lot ED/Amy.Wang for your responses and suggestions.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Monday, October 13, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Out of curiosity, you mentioned that this step was done in the  initial post.   Did you allow time for OAB download?

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, October 13, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Hi ,

Of course as you said i have utilized the command before i am posting here .

But on the user end ,she keep on trying without closing and reopen the outlook and also she didn't log off and log on her profile .

After log off / log in and outlook restart resolved our issue .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham 

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

• Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, October 20, 2014 8:44 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 1:36 PM