none
Storage Replica maximums for shifting from DFS-R RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered, but I have been having a bit of trouble tracking down some information to verify what i have been advised for SR. I have tried looking through the docs on the MS site/Github but haven't been able to find the info I am after.

Currently we have a DFS-R server with around a number of volumes, with the largest being over just under 15TB; I would like to move these off our DFS-R setup to SR. This server has a large amount of activity as well. 

My main questions regarding this are:

* Is there a limitation around total volume size that can be attached to an SR server? I have been advised 10TB is the max per server?

* On the back of the previous question, I know in standard edition 2TB was the max size supported for a single volume, is there any limitation for Enterprise?

* Is there a max number of files that SR can accommodate? I know DFS-R has a limit.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Aaron,

I believe the 10TB data disk is just a recommendation, in order to lower the initial replication sync times, but I'm pretty sure you can have larger disks.

As far as I know the 2TB limit is only for the Windows Server Standard version, the way they wrote it in the official documentation can be interpreted that it used to be unlimited but no more, which means Datacenter should be unlimited.

I have not heard of any limitation on number of files, so I wouldn't expect there to be one.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Aaron,

I believe the 10TB data disk is just a recommendation, in order to lower the initial replication sync times, but I'm pretty sure you can have larger disks.

As far as I know the 2TB limit is only for the Windows Server Standard version, the way they wrote it in the official documentation can be interpreted that it used to be unlimited but no more, which means Datacenter should be unlimited.

I have not heard of any limitation on number of files, so I wouldn't expect there to be one.

Best regards,
    Leon

Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Thanks Leon.

It looks like it can be seeded and a delta can be performed afterwards which would reduce that as well, i'm not hugely concerned about the initial sync time; it's the reliability and RPO/RTO that it has the potential to provide.

That's good to know about the single disk, it would save a fair bit of a headache around splitting the data between servers. As an example I could create multiple 15 TB volumes on the server (provided the log drive is also sized accordingly) and replicate them without any worries?

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:48 AM
  • That should work out just fine.

Friday, September 20, 2019 5:37 AM