none
Resource quantity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have some resources (humans/work) that I have several of them.
    For example, I have 3 Engineers. I'd like to be able to add a new resource and call it Engineer, but I'd like to also tell MS Project that I have 3 Engineers instead of creating 3 separate resources called Engineer 1, Engineer 2 and Engineer 3. The reason is, I do have some other resources that are a lot (like 35 persons). Is it do-able?

EDIT: Those Engineers can work in parallel in different tasks at the same time. Example: One of the Engineers can devote 30% of his time to a task, and 30% to another task while another Engineer devotes say 35% of his time to ask and 50% to another.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:36 PM

Answers

• You may define resources with maximum units above 100%.  So for 3 engineers, create the resource with 300% max. units.  You may easily access the max units field on the Resource Sheet view.
    • Marked as answer by OfficeUser379 Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:40 PM

All replies

• You may define resources with maximum units above 100%.  So for 3 engineers, create the resource with 300% max. units.  You may easily access the max units field on the Resource Sheet view.
    • Marked as answer by OfficeUser379 Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Sorry for bringing up the old topic, but the problem in this case is much like mine. 

After defining the resource with 300% max units, is it possible to assign two of those engineers to work on a same task?

Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:17 AM
  • Yes, use assign resources button (ALT-F10) and change the units when you make the assignment

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:58 AM
  • If the max units for the resource is 300%, that more or less represents three people. You can assign the resource at any % of units up to 300% without it being over-allocated. If you want to assign two people, 200%.

However, having done that, there is no way to know which two of the three people got assigned to the task. If you don't go to the necessary level of detail, then you just lose that bit of control.

But my question for you and for the original poster is why would you do it when you can just as easily create resources engineer 1, engineer 2, engineer 3?

What is the OP trying to achieve, other than finding a lazy way to not do the necessary work in setting up the plan properly in the first place?

Friday, July 3, 2020 12:26 AM