none
EMC initialization failed with WinRM error - Exchange 2010 SP2

Question

• One of our customers has the issue with EMC. When I open the EMC following error message displayed. Sometimes EMC is opening successfully and sometimes getting below error.

The following error occurred when getting management role assignment for ‘domain/Users/Administrator’:

Processing data for a remote command failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

Sometimes below error also displayed.

The following error occurred when getting management role assignment for ‘domain/Users/Administrator’:

Processing data for a remote command failed with the following error message: The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM Service: "winrm quickconfig". For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

Exchange 2010 SP2 is the Exchange version. No proxy configured. Windows update is up-to-date. Windows firewall is off. Antivirus is ESET NOD32 antivirus 4. I have tried by disabling the AV. But it didn't work.

I have run the Exchange management troubleshooter also but there’s no errors and it’s successfully connects to the organization. EMS also doesn't have any issues.

Any ideas regarding this issue..??

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:04 AM

Answers

• Have you Ran winrm quickconfig     ??

If not run it and add a FireWall Exception.

Also run the command: Winrm e winrm/config/listener   -> and check if you are able to make the Winrm Query on Port 5985.

In case if you get any error messages Paste the same.

I guess the issue that you are facing is due to the A/V software that is installed. Though the A/V is disabled, there will be handles which wouldn't have been released by A/V software. Have you considered uninstalling the A/V Software and checked? this will be known when you run winrm e winrm/config/listener

I strongly believe that A/V uninstall would help fix the issue.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Marked as answer by Thisaru Perera Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• These can be difficult to track down.

Have you seen:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/12/07/3411644.aspx

Resolving WinRM errors and Exchange 2010 Management tools startup failures

For the anti-virus, be sure you have the exclusions set:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332342.aspx

Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Yes, I have tested with Exchange Management troubleshooter. but there's no errors or no automatic fixes. here is the screenshot.

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

If the server IIS is stoped, it will cause this issue. Please please check the server IIS default website. If it is stoped, please start it and check the issue again.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:10 AM
  • IIS default website is started and functioning properly. 
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi,
    It might be just a "MMC-Cache" problem.

Close EMC and go to C:\Users\<USERID>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC
    If you see "Exchange Managment Console.msc" there, delete it.

Also, log on using a different Admin Account and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Martina Miskovic

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:19 PM
  • I cleared the MMC-Cache but it didn't fix the issue. 
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I cleared the MMC-Cache but it didn't fix the issue. 

What about logging on with a different account?

Martina Miskovic

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Log in with different account also has the same issue. I created different user account with the same permission as administrator account. but it didn't fix the issue.

What about installing Exchange management tools to a different computer..?? I'm going to test this tomorrow. 

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Have you Ran winrm quickconfig     ??

If not run it and add a FireWall Exception.

Also run the command: Winrm e winrm/config/listener   -> and check if you are able to make the Winrm Query on Port 5985.

In case if you get any error messages Paste the same.

I guess the issue that you are facing is due to the A/V software that is installed. Though the A/V is disabled, there will be handles which wouldn't have been released by A/V software. Have you considered uninstalling the A/V Software and checked? this will be known when you run winrm e winrm/config/listener

I strongly believe that A/V uninstall would help fix the issue.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Marked as answer by Thisaru Perera Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Thanks M.P.K. My issue is fixed. As you said I removed the AV and checked the problem. Now EMC opening without any issue. But it is safe enough to keep the exchange server without having any AV..??
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Exchange Management Shell Invocation works with Client-Side Runspace & Server Side Runspace.

When Users requests for a session on EMC/EMS, client Side Session attempts to contact the Server (WINRM Query) Side Session and after validation by the Server the session is given to the users with proper set of permissions loaded(In case if there are any RBAC restrictions applied for the users).

When Users Requests for a session EMC (or) EMS; it is remote session given to the user where the powershell virtual directory on the Exchange Management tools workstation (or) EMC/EMS on the Exchange server does a query on Port 80 for initiating a request. WinRM uses ports 5985 & 5986 for the Remote Sessions. Also Mandatory ports is port 135(RPC).

So, In case if the issue is resolved by uninstalling the A/V then it is something to do with a Port Block where the A/V is stopping/blocking connections via few specified ports.

Refer to links below for more information:

Exchange Network Port Reference

After you get an understanding about the ports used you may contact the A/V Vendor to identify what is causing the issue. May they will help you by adding exceptions on the Antivirus for few ports which are used for Exchange server.

Also for your question "safe enough to keep the exchange server without having any AV...??" you may consider getting an Exchange Aware antivirus where most of the exchange related ports are already added as exceptions by the Exchange Aware A/V Vendors.

Hope This helps!

• Edited by PK M Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:04 AM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Just in case anybody else stumbles across this issue, I can confirm that in my case Pavan is spot on in his thought that this is AV related. I had to disable NOD and then log in, log out, re-enable NOD and all was well again.
    • Proposed as answer by PK M Monday, November 25, 2013 7:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by PK M Monday, November 25, 2013 7:31 AM
    • Proposed as answer by PK M Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:09 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:44 AM