IMAP, Exchange Server 2007 SP1, and Public Folders (?) RRS feed

• Question

• I realize that the Exchange Team clearly states on their blog that Exchange Server 2007 RTM does not support Public Folder access via IMAP, NNTP, and OWA:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/02/20/419994.aspx

It's clear that Public Folder access was restored to OWA in SP1.  What about IMAP?  As far as I can tell, it has not, but if anybody knows of any official statement or feature list that explicitly says "IMAP4 clients cannot connect to Public Folders," please let me know!

Thanks,

..Jeff

Friday, October 9, 2009 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• I dont know if there is something else official other than that blog post, but Exchange vendors mention it as well:
    http://support.gfi.com/manuals/en/me12/me12manual.1.40.html
    "NOTE: IMAP cannot be used to poll emails from Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 public folders."

And of course, testing it proves as well as I am sure you have already done. :)
    • Proposed as answer by --Vinod-- Monday, October 12, 2009 3:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:46 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Per my knowledge, exchange 2007 SP1 isn’t offering public folder access through IMAP.

The following is the workarounds:

1.      Use OWA to access public folder

2.      Maintain an exchange 2003 server in your environment, IMAP clients will be able to access through this server (Reference)

3.      Migration public folder to Sharepoint

Resources:

Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog: Updated Exchange Public Folder (vs. SharePoint) Guidance

WindowsITPro mag: Migrating Public Folders from Exchange to SharePoint

• Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:46 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:15 AM
  • HI

Agreed with James.

Exchange 2007 doesn’t support to publish public folder over IMAP. Please see statement 7th on below article.

Quote:-E12's client access server has some limitations in public folder support: no IMAP, NNTP, nor OWA access to E12 public folders (OWA access to E2K and E2K3 public folders will be possible for E12 mailbox users).

Resources

Exchange 12 and Public Folders

Chinthaka Shameera | MCITP: EA | MCSE: M | http://howtoexchange.wordpress.com/
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I guess what I was really hoping to see was official text (or quasi-official text, like Exchange Team blog posts) saying:

"In Exchange Server 2007 RTM, there was no way to reach Public Folders from OWA, NNTP, or IMAP.
     In Exchange Server 2007 SP1, Public Folder access from OWA has been restored, BUT there are
     no plans to restore Public Folder access from NNTP or IMAP."

As far as I can tell, no statement exists that's quite that explicit.  Still, I suppose I can assume that since "Public Folders via IMAP" functionality wasn't restored in SP1--and it's not in Exchange Server 2010--then it's not coming back.

Thanks to all--sorry for not stating my question quite right in the first place.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:30 PM