Exchange 2010 SP1 Error - Event ID 9045

Question

• For the last few days there has been Event ID 9045 on my mailbox server and I can't find any info related to it.  (A copy of its text is below)  Has anyone seen this before or know what it means?  I looked at the properties on the database being referenced by going to Server Config - Mailbox - Database Copies in the EMC and its status is Healthy.

We are using Exch 2010 SP1 and have 3 servers- one Mailbox and two CAS/Hub Transport servers that have been in production for approx 4 months and we are in the process of migrating 2000 users from Exch 2003 during off hours.

The error comes up 20-30 times a day and just started 3 days ago.  If references the Junk Mail Options Assistant, Calendar Sync Assistant, Managed Folder Mailbox Assistant, or the Sharing Policy Assistant.

Log Name:    Application
    Source:          MSExchange Assistants
    Date:              6/25/2011 7:34:04 AM
    Event ID:      9045
    Task Category:   Assistants
    Level:                    Warning
    Keywords:           Classic
    User:                     N/A
    Computer:           MailServer-002
    Description:
    Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. The assistant Junk E-mail Options Assistant stopped processing database MailboxDB1 (2f2ba935-25b1-4aa0-ab89-813fb29135e1) because the database is in an unhealthy state.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange Assistants" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32772">9045</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-25T12:34:04.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>79543</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer> MailServer-002
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>MSExchangeMailboxAssistants</Data>
        <Data>Junk E-mail Options Assistant</Data>
        <Data>MailboxDB1 (2f2ba935-25b1-4aa0-ab89-813fb29135e1)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:02 PM

Answers

• Have you looked into the health of the database in question?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by LM04 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:37 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Verify that the content index is healthy

get-mailboxdatabasecopystatus -identity MailboxDB1

Also:

test-servicehealth -server <yourserver>

Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:03 PM
  • also:

Test-ExchangeSearch -MailboxDatabase MailboxDB1

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding to the problem, I suspect it can occur by corrupted mailbox. I suggest you check whether there is event error 9025, it shows the affected mailbox. If so, please move the affected mailbox to another database or a new-created database to test.

Otherwise, you may try to create a new database and move the mailboxes to the new one to check the result.

Thanks.

Novak Wu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 8:41 AM

All replies

• Have you looked into the health of the database in question?
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Yes, I ran a health check report from the BPA on my environment, and it didn't say anything about the databases.  Is there somewhere else I should be running a report from?
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Verify that the content index is healthy

get-mailboxdatabasecopystatus -identity MailboxDB1

Also:

test-servicehealth -server <yourserver>

Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:03 PM
  • also:

Test-ExchangeSearch -MailboxDatabase MailboxDB1

Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding to the problem, I suspect it can occur by corrupted mailbox. I suggest you check whether there is event error 9025, it shows the affected mailbox. If so, please move the affected mailbox to another database or a new-created database to test.

Otherwise, you may try to create a new database and move the mailboxes to the new one to check the result.

Thanks.

Novak Wu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 8:41 AM
  • How is thing going on? If there is any progress or update, please feel free to post it here.

Regards,

Novak Wu

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:50 AM
  • I tried all of your suggestions and the results were all normal.  The error message has since gone away.  However, we did have 2 corrupt mailboxes.  They were originally Exch 2003 mailboxes that were migrated to Exch 2010.  After the migration their owners were no longer able to login using Outlook.  Everything we tried... a different computer, new profile, removing .ost files ... did not work.  The only way to access their email was thru Webmail.  The only resolution we were able to find was to delete and recreate their mailboxes.  For one of the users I was able to export their data thru the EMS.  For the other user an export would not work and I had to export their data from a backup. 

The last 9045 error message in the event veiwer was 3 hours after the 2nd mailbox was deleted/recreated.  The  first 9045 error message showed up almost 48 hrs before the mailboxes that became corrupted were migrated.

Thank you all for your help. 

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:37 PM
  • I have been afraid about continuously recorded IDs 9045 as well. Fortunately nothing was probably going bad for our users in fact and simply the restart of the "Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants" helped me on Ex2k10 SP3. The 9045 events are away and based on info-events the MBX Assistant is doing his job well.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:11 PM
  • I have been afraid about continuously recorded IDs 9045 as well. Fortunately nothing was probably going bad for our users in fact and simply the restart of the "Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants" helped me on Ex2k10 SP3. The 9045 events are away and based on info-events the MBX Assistant is doing his job well.

I too found a restart of the mailbox assistants resolved this on my Exchange 2010 Server.  I'm not sure if it is related but these events started on the day we began an upgrade of our VMware environment.

Friday, May 01, 2015 11:55 AM