none
Notes getting truncated while importing excel to MS project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am importing an excel sheet to MS project 2010 through import map. There are some notes related to tasks that are longer than 255 words in length. When the project map is completed, all the fields are fine other than the notes field. The data in notes field gets truncated to 126 characters. Can someone help me out on this.

Udyan

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi USharma,

This is a known bug, I can reproduce the issue in my environment.

As a workaround, if you export excel file first to TXT file, then import from the TXT file to Project does appear to work correctly. It worked for me. Just make sure prior to import from TXT file into MS Project, change the below setting in MS Project -

File > options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Allow loading files with legacy or non-default file formats

Refer below thread, it will give you more information about this bug.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/ms-project-importer-field-size-limit/5af4131f-1a11-4fa3-ab15-559352c75238

Hope this helps you.

Cheers, Badal

Monday, August 4, 2014 10:41 AM
  • John has a macro for that, he'll probably jump in soon.

See this similar post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/1e1822de-d18e-4192-bb16-5528c7010905/ms-project-2010-cut-and-paste-255-characters-in-notes-column-field-into-ms-excel?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, August 4, 2014 10:55 AM
  • Usharma_UTD,

When you contacted me directly via e-mail I forgot to ask if you have SP2 and the June 2013 cumulative update installed. Do you?

I completely forgot about the thread referenced by Badal in which I troubleshot this issue for another user back in 2013 (old brain, memory loss). Apparently this has NOT been fixed by any updates. I have Project 2010 SP2 with the April 2014 cumulative update and I tried two different test files, one that Jerome sent to me last year and one that I created. Jerome's test file still truncates the notes string at 126 characters, my test file works fine.

More later, I need to do a little research.

John

Monday, August 4, 2014 2:34 PM
  • To those who may be interested in this thread.

The jury is still out on whether this truncation bug is also present in Project 2013/Excel 2013. Meanwhile I've developed a macro that will export a formatted Excel Workbook into Project. The macro is structured to run from Excel. The main purpose of the macro is to export the full notes text data, (i.e. no truncation even at 255 characters), from a specified column on the Excel Worksheet into the Notes field of Project. Other basic Project data including Task Name, Outline level, Duration, Start,  & Resource Names are also exported. An example of the formatted Excel Worksheet is shown below.

If you are interested in this macro, let me know.

John

Example of formatted data for export. Note that multiple resource assignments per task are handled (not easily done with an import map alone). The macro detects the units used in the worksheet duration column (i.e. number only,  or number with "h", "d", or "w") such that the proper data is exported to Project (i.e. minutes). For reference the note text shown for Task b is the text string that is truncated at 126 characters when using a simple import map. That bug is resolved by the macro. The notes text for Task c is is 406 characters and all of them are exported by the macro (i.e. no truncation at 255 characters). The notes text for Task d has a line feed in the text string and that is exported by the macro.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:49 AM
  • Can you please send me the macro to my yahoo account? sunmin1221 @yahoo.com
    Monday, July 6, 2015 7:03 PM
  • Sunny Min,

You'll need to contact me directly at the address below. I will ask some questions.

Are you trying to export Notes field text from Project to Excel or from Excel to Project? I have separate macros for each. The most requested macro is the one that exports Project Notes field text to Excel.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Monday, July 6, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Email address extracted from the text above doesn't seem to work any more.

I'd like to get a copy of that macro, as importing either a CSV or tab delimited text file into Excel 2016 results in a Notes field concatenated to 256 chars

• Edited by sunnyape Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:29 AM
  • sunnyape,

The e-mail address referenced is no longer active.

It isn't quite clear from your post if you are trying to export Project data to Excel or Excel data to Project. For the former, see the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32126.ms-project-truncated-project-notes-when-viewingexporting.aspx

If you are exporting from Excel to Project, then you will need to contact me at the address below.

John

jmacprojataticlouddotdotcom

(remove obvious redundancies)

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:26 PM