Event ID 8026 LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory <servername> for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.

Question

• Dear,

Now and then (once in a few weeks) I get the error mentioned above about 30 times a second, I can only ping my DC but for the rest only a hard reset can get it working again.
    After a hard reset all goes well for a few weeks... 

The Server is a SBS2003 server.

Any ideas on this one?

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:53 AM

Answers

• The Event Id 8026 will occurr when Exchange server lost the communication with Active Directory.

1) Check the RUS

Make sure proper Windows domain controller is selected

1. Open Exchange System Manager.
    2. Expand the Recipients container, and then click Recipient Update Services.
    3. Double-click each Recipient Update Service, and then change the Windows domain controller setting to the new Windows domain controller in the domain.

2) If the  Windows domain controller is correct then you can safely ignore Event Id 8026.

3) It might be possible that your domain controller is rebooting weekly ,if you reboot the domain controller the exchnage server will log the Event 8026 .

Viral Rathod Blog : http://viralr.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, November 7, 2011 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, November 14, 2011 5:18 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:36 PM
  • If it is SBS then Exchange is using itself for DC functionality.
    Can you confirm that this is an SBS with all functionality on the same machine?

Ensure that everything is configured correctly, DNS etc. I would suggest that you start by running the SBS BPA which is a free download from Microsoft (ensure you get the SBS 2003 one) and resolve anything it flags.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:40 AM

All replies

• The Event Id 8026 will occurr when Exchange server lost the communication with Active Directory.

1) Check the RUS

Make sure proper Windows domain controller is selected

1. Open Exchange System Manager.
    2. Expand the Recipients container, and then click Recipient Update Services.
    3. Double-click each Recipient Update Service, and then change the Windows domain controller setting to the new Windows domain controller in the domain.

2) If the  Windows domain controller is correct then you can safely ignore Event Id 8026.

3) It might be possible that your domain controller is rebooting weekly ,if you reboot the domain controller the exchnage server will log the Event 8026 .

Viral Rathod Blog : http://viralr.wordpress.com
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:36 PM
  • If it is SBS then Exchange is using itself for DC functionality.
    Can you confirm that this is an SBS with all functionality on the same machine?

Ensure that everything is configured correctly, DNS etc. I would suggest that you start by running the SBS BPA which is a free download from Microsoft (ensure you get the SBS 2003 one) and resolve anything it flags.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Hi
       According to my search, your drive or other hardware error will cause this event error too.

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:21 AM