none
Wrong AutoDiscover DNS Domain

Question

• I have a problem with users trying to connect to an Exchange 2010 environment using Outlook 2007 internally.

The 'problem' users are using non-domain joined pc's and are having the standard autodiscover issues of not being able to set an Out of Office message, errors downloading the OAB etc., but can use Outlook otherwise, although they get the annoying pop-up request for log ins.

Domain joined pc's work properly, autodiscover doing it's job the way it should.

When I check the 'Test E-Mail Autoconfiguration', this fails, but it is trying to look at the incorrect DNS domain to find the server and I assume this is why it fails.

The FQDN of Autodiscover is autodiscover.ad.com and an NSLOOKUP on the problem pc's shows that they find it with that FQDN, but in the test, the pc's are looking for autodiscover.company.com, "company.com" being another DNS suffix in use within the company.

I have set the default DNS suffix to be ad.com and I have even used the AD DNS servers, but nothing seems to make the pc's try to connect with the correct FQDN.  Is this the cause of my problem and, if so, how can I resolve it???

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

Friday, June 11, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi

Well, this could be solved by creating a new dns zone and name it to : company.com

In there you can add autodiscover.company.com

More common records are ftp, www, webmail, mail etc.

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    Friday, June 11, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Gareth-

The autodiscover URL is constructed based on the user's email domain not the machine's FQDN. You really need to publish the autodiscover.company.com A record in this case.

Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hi

Well, this could be solved by creating a new dns zone and name it to : company.com

In there you can add autodiscover.company.com

More common records are ftp, www, webmail, mail etc.

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    Friday, June 11, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Gareth-

The autodiscover URL is constructed based on the user's email domain not the machine's FQDN. You really need to publish the autodiscover.company.com A record in this case.

Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Hi Gents,

If you:

1. created a DNS zone

2. added the said a record autodiscover to <domain>.com

Wouldn't you then need to create a new certificate for the website to use with that subject alternate name?  Otherwise users will start getting certificate errors relating to the cert not matching the FQDN when Outlook 2007 does it's autodiscover on startup.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:44 AM