none
Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6 - Group Manager cannot add/remove members RRS feed

• Question

• This is how it's presented in the MS Self-Paced Training Kit for exam 70-662 (p. 150):

"For example, Amy is interested in running the company charity drive [...]. You configure a new dist. grp. named Company_Charity and set Amy as the manager of that group. This allows Amy to add and remove people from the group as necessary".

The problem is that... it doesn't work.

See images below. This is after restarting the IS service and having Alan.Reid log off and back on (Yes, my test users have different user names so don't be surprised that we are talking about Amy and then suddenly Alan-Reid appears):

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• I tried a couple things myself (that should not be necessary) but the problem still remains.

First, yes, the group is a Universal Security group and Mail Enabled (it was functioning fine for other practice exercises).

I thought I would try to assign manager status in Active Directory:

I restart IS service and log off/on Alan Reid.

Note that Alan Reid is now, indeed, the owner, of the group.

In Active Directory, Reid has the "Write Members" permission checked under permissions (Advanced) for this distribution group.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Same results with a simple (non-security) distribution group (without the adjustments in Active Directory).

All mail-enabled.

Outlook 2010 (no SP)

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:34 PM
  •  

Hello,

Hope it helps:

http://anandthearchitect.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/exchange-2010-group-owner-doesnt-have-owner-permissions/

Thanks,

Simon

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:51 AM
  •  

Hello,

Hope it helps:

http://anandthearchitect.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/exchange-2010-group-owner-doesnt-have-owner-permissions/

Thanks,

Simon

Dear Simon

reposting somthing does not solve it. I have the same problem, all groups are universal and no members are disabled.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:51 AM
  • This solution did work for me: http://infrastructurehelp.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/delegating-distribution-group-management-in-exchange-2010/

• Create a new role group based on the MyDistributionGroups role.
      • [PS] C:\>New-ManagementRole -name MyDistributionGroupsManagement -parent MyDistributionGroups -description “Assign to users that need to manage distribution groups without creating or deleting distribution groups”
    • 2a.  Modify the new role group to take away the ability to create DLs.
      • [PS] C:\>Remove-ManagementRoleEntry MyDistributionGroupsManagement\new-distributiongroup
    • 2b.  Modify the new role group to take away the ability to delete DLs.
      • [PS] C:\>Remove-ManagementRoleEntry MyDistributionGroupsManagement\remove-distributiongroup
    • 3.   Add the new management role to the default role assignment policy.
      • [PS] C:\>New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role MyDistributionGroupsManagement -Policy “Default Role Assignment Policy”

That's it. Everyone in any "managed by" list can now manage the group.

• Proposed as answer by Joaquin72 Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:06 AM
    • Edited by Joaquin72 Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:10 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:06 AM