none
Lost Public Folder after deleting old administrative group from ADSI RRS feed

• Question

• I've done something such that my public folder has disappeared from exchange.  However the database is still there.  I'm clearly missing something, and / or missed something in my transition from 2003 to 2010.  I need to see if I can restore this without starting new, and I don't know what to do.  Hoping there is something easy?

I've been on 2010 for quite a while now, and my 2003 server has been shut down for many months.  I suspect that I didn't remove 2003 from the organization properly.  But everything has worked.

However I've been unable to specify OUs when creating address books because it was still detecting legacy servers.  Today I found a post pointing to removal of the old server via ADSIedit in Configuration --> Services --> Microsoft Exchange --> <Organization> --> Administrative Groups --> First Administrative Group.

So...  this is where I apparently got dumb... I didn't see anything useful in this "First Administrative Group".  I had another admin group there which had all the info relating to the new 2010 server.  Where "First Administrative Group" had all the old server info, which had been physically off for months.  So I deleted First Admin Group completely.

This did solve my problem relating to specifying OUs in relation to address books. 

But when I went to rebuild my offline address book it failed with this message below.  I can no longer connect to Public Folders with Outlook.  And when I refreshed EMC I see that the public folder database no longer shows up.  However the database file and log files still exist, and using ADSIedit I can see the database still listed in the same location referenced above, under "Exchange Administrative Group (...)" --> "Databases".

I've been receiving mail in this public folder all along (until now of course), as well as having no problems with offline address book, despite the old server not even being there.  But somehow I've broken the chain.  I'd really like to fix it without having to create a whole new database and start from scratch.

Can anyone help me?

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    Action 'Update' could not be performed on object 'Default Offline Address List'.

Default Offline Address List
    Failed
    Error:
    Couldn't find database "<my org>.com/Configuration/Deleted Objects/Public Folder Store (<old server name>)
    DEL:5399dc3f-d0a4-4e9b-98f3-d9a754809435". Make sure you have typed it correctly.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

• You do see the EX2010 Administrative group right?
    Services |Microsoft Exchange|Deppmann|Administrative Groups|First Administrative Group|Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)|CN=Databases|CN=Public Folder Database

Check the value for msExchOwningPFTree for your Public Folder Database (path above) and make sure it's set to CN=Public Folders,CN=Folder Hierarchies,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Deppmann,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com

I guess the link I provided was not the best one.

Martina Miskovic - http://www.nic2012.com/
    • Marked as answer by tmiller112 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:11 PM

All replies

• I think you might have lost the Public Folder Hiearchy when you deleted the old Administrative Group.
    Use ADSIEdit and check if you have "CN=Folder Hierchies" in
    Services |Microsoft Exchange|<Organization>|Administrative Groups|First Administrative Group|Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

If you don't see it, then follow the instructions in this blogpost to recreate it.
    http://geekswithblogs.net/marcde/archive/2011/07/05/article-recreating-the-public-folder-hierarchy.aspx

As for the OAB, you might have the old Public Folder database specificed. Check with Get-OfflineAddressBook | fl Name,publicfolderdatabase
    If the old PF is there, then go to the distribution tab of the OAB (Organization Configuration| Mailbox|Offline Address Book) and uncheck "Enable Public Folder distribution" --> Apply --> and check it again.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Martina,

This link you shared seems to be exactly what I'm dealing with (thank you!).

However, I'm getting stuck here:

Populate msExchOwningPFTreeBL attribute object of the PF Stores in the organization

1. Get properties of the newly created "Public Folders" Tree object in ADSIEdit.
    2. Copy the distinguishedname value to the clipboard and then click cancel.
    3. Browse to CN=Public Folders Database,CN=Second Storage Group,CN=InformationStore CN="Sever Name:,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=ORG Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=COM
    4. In the properties of the "Public Folder Database", Edit the msExchOwningPFtree attribute and paste the content copied to the clipboard in Step2
    5. Restart the Information Store Service.

I am not seeing:
    CN=Public Folders Database,CN=First Storage Group,CN=InformationStore CN="Sever Name:,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=ORG Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=COM

I see a later post stating "If you got that far but can't see it in the list, make sure  you are logged on with domain admin account....".  I'm logged with the domain\Administrator account.  Definitely should have all rights. 

Let me say it in my terms to make sure I'm looking in the right way (AD Scheme novice).  Basically reversing this nomenclature, I get this far:
    Configuration->Services->Microsoft Exchange->Deppmann->Administrative Groups->Exchange Administrative Group->Servers->myserver->InformationStore  

But that's it... nothing under that at all.

Anything you can say to help this by chance?  Given that I have the database, I'd really rather not have to start from scratch.  It's not all that big, but there were some existing items in there... mail enabled folders, etc.  It certainly seems like it would just be a matter of getting the right pointers back in place.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:57 PM
  • You do see the EX2010 Administrative group right?
    Services |Microsoft Exchange|Deppmann|Administrative Groups|First Administrative Group|Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)|CN=Databases|CN=Public Folder Database

Check the value for msExchOwningPFTree for your Public Folder Database (path above) and make sure it's set to CN=Public Folders,CN=Folder Hierarchies,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Deppmann,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com

I guess the link I provided was not the best one.

• Marked as answer by tmiller112 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:11 PM
  • That did bring back my public folder database (Thanks again!!).

However I don't appear to be completely fixed.  I'm now able to browse the public folders from outlook, and I'm able to see their properties in PF Management Console.  But they are not receiving mail.  I see the mail piling up in the queue under "Unreachable Domain".  Each of the messages shows the error:  "The mailbox recipient does not have a mailbox database"

I tried to mail-disable and then re-enable one of the public folders.  It won't re-enable.  Nor will it let me "update content" on that Public Folder.

I see a couple of application event errors pasted below (occurred when I re-started the transport service).  I know that when I was transitioning to 2010, part of the process created a routing group that was named something like <new_server>-<oldserver>.  The errors make reference to this.

I also see the existance of this name under this location (along with my send connectors):  CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Org,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Org,DC=com.

So, I'm assuming that somehow these errors that I'm getting relate to the fact that I'm not receiving mail in my public folders, and that it is somehow a matter of an attempt to route through something that no longer exists.  But I can't see where to control this.  I could delete the <oldserver>-<newserver> from the location above, but I've learned my lesson. 

I see in the properties for this <oldserver>-<newserver> routing group the attribute msExchDestinationRGDN points to a deleted destination (CN=First Routing Group\0ADEL:eff36b3a-704b-42f3-95ca-7a565110ccf8,CN=Deleted Objects,CN=Configuration,DC=Deppmann,DC=com).  But I'm not sure what I'd update it to. 

I also see that when in PF Management Console, under System PFs, schema-root... if I try to refresh that, I get an error "Can't get the public folder database using legacy distinguished name '... and a reference to the now deleted 'first administrative group'.  And when I try and initiate an "update content" on this schema-root it fails.

Just trying to throw out what I see.  Obviously I blew it by deleting from AD Schema in the first place.  However it seems like I'm close to putting things back together such that the old server is no longer there.

Thanks so much for your help!  Hoping you see something obvious here, if I wasn't too long winded.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange ADAccess
    Date:          10/12/2011 12:32:30 PM
    Event ID:      2937
    Task Category: Validation
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SVREXC.Deppmann.com
    Description:
    Process edgetransport.exe () (PID=9700). Object [CN=SVREXC-SOUEXC,CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Deppmann,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Deppmann,DC=com]. Property [TargetRoutingGroup] is set to value [Deppmann.com/Configuration/Deleted Objects/First Routing Group
    DEL:eff36b3a-704b-42f3-95ca-7a565110ccf8], it is pointing to the Deleted Objects container in Active Directory. This property should be fixed as soon as possible.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange ADAccess" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">2937</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>6</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-12T16:32:30.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>12712750</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SVREXC.Deppmann.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>edgetransport.exe ()</Data>
        <Data>9700</Data>
        <Data>CN=SVREXC-SOUEXC,CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Deppmann,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Deppmann,DC=com</Data>
        <Data>TargetRoutingGroup</Data>
        <Data>Deppmann.com/Configuration/Deleted Objects/First Routing Group
    DEL:eff36b3a-704b-42f3-95ca-7a565110ccf8</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

AND THEN 

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange ADAccess
    Date:          10/12/2011 12:32:30 PM
    Event ID:      2159
    Task Category: Validation
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SVREXC.Deppmann.com
    Description:
    Process edgetransport.exe () (PID=9700). Configuration object CN=SVREXC-SOUEXC,CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Deppmann,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Deppmann,DC=com read from SOUPDC.Deppmann.com failed validation and will be excluded from the result set.  Set event logging level for Validation category to Expert to get additional events about each failure.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange ADAccess" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32772">2159</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>6</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-12T16:32:30.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>12712751</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SVREXC.Deppmann.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>edgetransport.exe ()</Data>
        <Data>9700</Data>
        <Data>CN=SVREXC-SOUEXC,CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Deppmann,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Deppmann,DC=com</Data>
        <Data>SOUPDC.Deppmann.com</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hurray the PFs are back :)

You can definitely delete the old Routing Group Connector at
    CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Org,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Org,DC=com.

The System Public Folder Schema-Root, is not used in Exchange 2010 so you can delete that one.
    It wouldn't surprise me if you have other Exchange 2003 system folders left in the Hierarcky.
    Run and post the output: get-publicfolder \Non_IPM_SUBTREE -Recurse | ft Name,replicas

Did you check your OAB?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I deleted the old routing group as well as the schema-root.  When I restart the transport service those errors are gone.

The OAB seems to be working now.  That wasn't the case when I started typing this.  However it seems that the process of removing PD distribution, putting it back, and rebuilding eventually corrected some AD values that I was seeing as errors at first.  I'm able to update with PF distribution, and download from outlook.

However the public folder will not allow me to mail enable, and those that show mail-enabled won't receive mail.  This seems to be my only lingering problem.

I've posted the results of the command you mentioned below.  I see the references to "First Administrative Group".  I see in System Public Folders, under Offline Address Book, I have 3 listings.  One of the 3 is this "EX:/o=Deppmann/ou=First Administrative Group".  Should I be deleting this?

>get-publicfolder \Non_IPM_SUBTREE -Recurse | ft Name,replicas

Name                                                        Replicas
    ----                                                        --------
    NON_IPM_SUBTREE                                             {}
    EFORMS REGISTRY                                             {}
    Deppmann Forms                                              {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    Events Root                                                 {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK                                        {}
    /o=Deppmann/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Addr... {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    OAB Version 2                                               {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    OAB Version 3a                                              {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    OAB Version 4                                               {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    EX:/o=Deppmann/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOH... {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    EX:/o=Deppmann/ou=First Administrative Group                {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    OWAScratchPad{5399DC3F-D0A4-4E9B-98F3-D9A754809435}         {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY                                         {}
    EX:/o=Deppmann/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOH... {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    EX:/O=DEPPMANN/OU=EXTERNAL (FYDIBOHF25SPDLT)                {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    EX:/o=Deppmann/ou=First Administrative Group                {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    StoreEvents{5399DC3F-D0A4-4E9B-98F3-D9A754809435}           {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    globalevents                                                {Public Folder Database 1182152127}
    internal                                                    {Public Folder Database 1182152127}

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:55 PM
  • The Public Folders you can delete are these ones:
    Events Roots
    OWAScratchPad{5399DC3F-D0A4-4E9B-98F3-D9A754809435}  
    StoreEvents{5399DC3F-D0A4-4E9B-98F3-D9A754809435}
    globalevents                                             
    internal

..but they are not in any way part of your problem with mailenabled PFs.

The problem you have is usually cased by an old server object in the First Administrative Group, but now when you completly removed that group that is not the case here.
    All mailenabled PFs is seen in ADUC in deppman.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects.
    Maildisable one PF and see if the object in that folder is removed or not. It's still there, remove it and mailenable the PF again.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:06 PM
  • When I mail-disable, the object is removed from that folder in ADUC.

When I attempt to re-enable, the error message I see is:  Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

I'm searching for anything on this, but it's looking pretty generic, and there is no corresponding application event.

If I try "Update Content" I get this error:

Microsoft Exchange Error
    Action 'Update Content' could not be performed on object 'Heat Transfer'.

Heat Transfer
    Failed
    Error:
    Cannot start content replication against public folder '\my public folder' on public folder database 'Public Folder Database 1182152127'.

MapiExceptionNotFound: StartContentReplication failed. (hr=0x8004010f, ec=-2147221233)
    Diagnostic context:
        Lid: 1494    ---- Remote Context Beg ----
        Lid: 28877   Error: 0x0
        Lid: 8424    StoreEc: 0x8004010F
        Lid: 1091    StoreEc: 0x8004010F
        Lid: 1267    StoreEc: 0x8004010F
        Lid: 33819   StoreEc: 0x8004010F
        Lid: 27225   StoreEc: 0x8004010F
        Lid: 1750    ---- Remote Context End ----
        Lid: 26322   StoreEc: 0x8004010F

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Also, I don't know if it's telling at all that when I tried to delete the "Events Root" public folder per your earlier message, it failed with this message, but the others deleted fine:

Microsoft Exchange Error
    Action 'Remove' could not be performed on object 'Events Root'.

Events Root
    Failed
    Error:
    Cannot delete the object '\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\Events Root'. Please make sure that you specified the correct identity and that you have the correct permissions to delete it.

MapiExceptionPartialCompletion: Unable to delete folder. (hr=0x40680, ec=0)
    Diagnostic context:
        Lid: 40487   EMSMDBMT.EcDoRpcExt2 called [length=61]
        Lid: 56871   EMSMDBMT.EcDoRpcExt2 returned [ec=0x0][length=173][latency=0]
        Lid: 23226   --- ROP Parse Start ---
        Lid: 27962   ROP: ropDeleteFolder [29]
        Lid: 17082   ROP Error: 0x80070005
        Lid: 19297 
        Lid: 21921   StoreEc: 0x80070005
        Lid: 27962   ROP: ropExtendedError [250]
        Lid: 1494    ---- Remote Context Beg ----
        Lid: 26426   ROP: ropDeleteFolder [29]
        Lid: 4887    StoreEc: 0x80070005
        Lid: 1750    ---- Remote Context End ----
        Lid: 26849 
        Lid: 21817   ROP Failure: 0x80070005
        Lid: 24721 
        Lid: 20625   StoreEc: 0x80070005

OK

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Ok, then leave 'Events Root'. It will not break anything.
    No reason to run Update Content, cause you only have one Public Folder Database so there's nothing to replicate.

I wounder if a restart of Information Store or just a dismount/mount of the Public Folder Database would help...

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Well that's something I would have tried... but after messing up so bad today I wasn't touching anything.  At least not as long as you were still replying :)

That did the trick.  Thanks SO much for your help today.  I'm relieved to be apparently all fixed, and now without this legacy server in the way.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:46 PM
  • That was good News!
    Im glad we were able to solve this.

• Proposed as answer by jbernec Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Awesome troubleshooting Martina. I'm bookmarking this page to better help me understand AD/Exchange attributes .Thanks.

Jbernec

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:23 AM
  • Dear all,

have the same problem, followed the instructions so far, but can't find the msExchOwningPFTree string in the properties of the DN=Public Folder Database.

Any help available.

/Sven

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Done,

opened LDP.exe and added the missing attribut and value to DN=Public Folder Database.

Everything fine now :-)

/Sven

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Bacon = saved, thanks much Martina!
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:26 PM