Archiving Exchange server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• dears,

first i wanna to talk about my environment, i have 2 CAS, 2 Mailbox, DAG all servers have Version 15.0 ‎(Build 1497.2)‎ . i wanna to built anew server for Archiving, to archive some or all mailboxs and to Reduces the size of all mailboxs.

so could you please help me with all steps (from A-Z) how to install and deploy and config this new Archiving server.

best regards 

• Edited by AMNAAD Sunday, December 15, 2019 2:18 PM
    Sunday, December 15, 2019 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi AMNAAD,
    I think in order to reduce the size of mailbox, creating Archive Database and enabling User Archive is enough. No need to deploy an archive server.
    For detailed steps, refer to this article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29978.exchange-2013-create-archive-database-and-enable-user-archive.aspx

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,

For your need, you should install Exchange on another server and add it to the domain.

Steps are same as your first installation:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/exchange-server-2013-exchange-2013-help

Then you could select the second server in the picture.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Hello

so let so again.

you have got large mailbox ? like 200GB or bigger? because if have got 10-80GB mailbox is not need archiv mailbox.

1; you have server with slow LOCAL disks /like sata/ and have got fast disk in dag member server. so you create new simple mailbox server with only mailbox role and create db and on user create archive mailbox what is put to archive db. but not add to dag because havent got enugh space on dag member.

2; you have storage with slow disks /like sata/ and you can link to dag member: simply add storage to two node and create mailbox db and create archive mailbox to db.

sorry my english

• Marked as answer by AMNAAD Wednesday, December 18, 2019 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hello

Why need new server for archive mailbox db?

sorry my english

Sunday, December 15, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Hi Amnaad,

You could also choose to create a Hybrid with Exchange Online and Archive mailboxes to Exchange Online.

Thanks,

Niels

Monday, December 16, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,
    I think in order to reduce the size of mailbox, creating Archive Database and enabling User Archive is enough. No need to deploy an archive server.
    For detailed steps, refer to this article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29978.exchange-2013-create-archive-database-and-enable-user-archive.aspx

Regards,

Eric Yin

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hello

Why need new server for archive mailbox db?

sorry my english

in order to reduce the size of mailbox

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Hi Amnaad,

You could also choose to create a Hybrid with Exchange Online and Archive mailboxes to Exchange Online.

Thanks,

Niels

i wanna to  to reduce the size of mailbox, and i dont have Online and Archive, i wanna to built my local server to move all archaving mailboxs to .
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,

此致,

Eric Yin

如果以上回复对您有所帮助,建议您将其“标记为答复”. 如果您对我们的论坛支持有任何的建议,可以通过此邮箱联系我们:tnsf@microsoft.com.

dear Eric ,

yes, you are right, and the link you provide is very good, but i need the steps before this link, i mean how to deploy the server that when i go to your steps in the link i can add the server as new database .

i mean how to deploy the serevr in the below image to use it as database for archaving mailboxs : 

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,

For your need, you should install Exchange on another server and add it to the domain.

Steps are same as your first installation:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/exchange-server-2013-exchange-2013-help

Regards,

Eric Yin

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,

Regards,

Eric Yin

dear Eric ,

THX for your help, i have Question, must the new installation of exchange  has the same version of the other servers ? cos the other servers have version CU23 .

• Edited by AMNAAD Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,

You can add servers with different version, Exchange2016 is OK if you want.

It can be checked in:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/system-requirements?view=exchserver-2016#supported-coexistence-scenarios-for-exchange-2016

Regards,

Eric Yin

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:18 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,

You can add servers with different version, Exchange2016 is OK if you want.

It can be checked in:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/system-requirements?view=exchserver-2016#supported-coexistence-scenarios-for-exchange-2016

Regards,

Eric Yin

dear Eric,

THX, last question, the new server, do i need to have one partision like C with 1TB, or i should have 2 partisions, C for system and D for the Database ?

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Hello,

I would install Windows on the C:\ partition, Exchange on D:\, Database on E:\ and logging on F:\.

Thanks,

Niels

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Hello,

I would install Windows on the C:\ partition, Exchange on D:\, Database on E:\ and logging on F:\.

Thanks,

Niels

this installation good for fresh install of Exchange, but here we talked about new server for archiving mailboxes
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:50 AM
  • Hi AMNAAD,
    I would suggest to locate database in different partitions.
    If you have mutiple physical disks, install database on the disk with large storage.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 1:54 AM
  • I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:
    [Exchange Server > Exchange Server 2013 -Archiving Exchange server 2013 — Summary]

Issue Symptom:
    Want to build a new server for archiving

(Possible) Cause:
    Size of Mailbox increases

Solution:
    install Exchange on a new server , add it to domain and create archive database on that server

Reference Links:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29978.exchange-2013-create-archive-database-and-enable-user-archive.aspx

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hello

so let so again.

you have got large mailbox ? like 200GB or bigger? because if have got 10-80GB mailbox is not need archiv mailbox.

1; you have server with slow LOCAL disks /like sata/ and have got fast disk in dag member server. so you create new simple mailbox server with only mailbox role and create db and on user create archive mailbox what is put to archive db. but not add to dag because havent got enugh space on dag member.

2; you have storage with slow disks /like sata/ and you can link to dag member: simply add storage to two node and create mailbox db and create archive mailbox to db.

sorry my english

• Marked as answer by AMNAAD Wednesday, December 18, 2019 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hi Sneff_Gabor,

Thanks for your sharing.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:57 AM