none
Delete unopened mail disappears from Outlook 2007 without going into Deleted Items

Question

• The user reports that when she deletes unopened email, it disappears immediately and doesn't go into the Deleted Items folder.  When opened mail is deleted it does go into the Deleted Items folder as she wants.  This is on a new Vista Home Premium laptop, where Outlook 2007 was purchased and installed separately.

I can't find an setting that would handle opened and unopened differently.  Is there one?  She wants the unopened to go into the Deleted Items folder.  Her process is to leave them there and only permanently delete after some time period.

Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just out of curiousity, did the user change the "View" on the "Deleted" folder? The only time I see mail "disappear" is when someone  tinkers with the "View" (Current View).

Sharon
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Like Sharon said, please try to run outlook /cleanviews /cleanrules from a command prompt to open outlook and then check the issue.

Regards,
    Xiu
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just out of curiousity, did the user change the "View" on the "Deleted" folder? The only time I see mail "disappear" is when someone  tinkers with the "View" (Current View).

Sharon
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Like Sharon said, please try to run outlook /cleanviews /cleanrules from a command prompt to open outlook and then check the issue.

Regards,
    Xiu
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

You're dead right.  When I finally got to her laptop it turned out that "somehow" the view got changed.  Changed back to show all the messages, there were over 6,000 sitting there!  She'd been using it like a never ending file cabinet, so we had some discussion of other ways to store email and work with deleted items. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Carole

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:47 AM