none
Outlook 2007 hangs when Calendar tab is clicked

Question

• I am using Windows Vista on a Sony Notebook with Outlook 2007 SP1 connected to exchange server 2003.  I had a problem that my outlook worked fine except for one thing: it hanged whenever I clicked on the calendar tab.  I then had to restart my outlook, there was no other way out of the problem.

Investigating the problem it occurred that when I clicked on individual dates on the calendar displayed on the front screen, the calendar did display EXCEPT when TODAY was selected.  Any other date worked fine except the current date.  This was true for any date, in such a manner that today would freeze up, but on the next day the same date (which was then yesterday) did not hang anymore.

After a long while I accidentally found the solution to this problem.  You will notice when the calendar is displayed in the default calendar view (month/week/day with preview), at the bottom of the screen there is also a part where today's tasks are displayed.  I edited the view and removed the display of tasks in the calendar screen, and suddenly the calendar did not hang anymore.  It appeared that some item amongst the tasks caused the crash, but when the tasks are displayed in the task tab, Outlook does not hang.

So, if your Outlook 2007 hangs whenever you click on the calendar tab, edit your calendar view and disable the display of the task/todo list in the calendar view.  This might solve your problem like it did for me.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 8:56 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Johanvo, thanks for your post.

After installation of Office 2007 SP1, I noticed Outlook 2007 was hanging when navigating from Calendar to Mail panes. I regularly had to end Outlook with the Task Manager.

Until now, I had the "To-Do Bar" displayed with the Mail pane. Removed it. I can confirm that navigation between the two panes is now smoother.

---

Fabien M.
    Desktop | Infrastructure | Security Solutions
    Avanade

http://www.avanade.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:51 PM
  •  Fabienm wrote:

Hi all,

After installation of Office 2007 SP1, I noticed Outlook 2007 was hanging when navigating from Calendar to Mail panes. I regularly had to end Outlook with the Task Manager.

Until now, I had the "To-Do Bar" displayed with the Mail pane. Removed it. I can confirm that navigation between the two panes is now smoother.

---

Fabien M.
    Avanade

Thanks for posting your message. I was having similar issues and could not leave Outlook open for more than 30 mins without either an application or even system crash. Thanks to your advice, I have removed the 'To-Do-Bar' from all screens and have been running stable for over 8 hours.

Much Appreciated!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:36 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

---

Fabien M.
    Avanade

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:51 PM
  •  Fabienm wrote:

Hi all,

---

Fabien M.
    Avanade

Thanks for posting your message. I was having similar issues and could not leave Outlook open for more than 30 mins without either an application or even system crash. Thanks to your advice, I have removed the 'To-Do-Bar' from all screens and have been running stable for over 8 hours.

Much Appreciated!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:36 AM
  • As a note to anyone having the same issue, this was not completely solved with the To-Do bar issue. I have found the crash issue will still arise as long as I am accessing another users calendar. Remove the shared calendar, and outlook is stable. I haven't yet found a workaround for this and it is necessary to use shared calendars.
    • Proposed as answer by RC-FR Monday, December 28, 2009 1:40 PM
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Hi - We are having a similar problem in my office. We have Windows XP on all of our client machines, and run Small Business Server and Miscrosoft Exchange Server 2003. All user machines (except one) run Outlook 2007 with Biz Contact Mgr along with Office 2007 Ultimate. We share calendars, and are heavy users of BCM. Everything was working fine except a constant error about the windows indexing function not working when we opened Outlook. 

One of our users decided to "Fix" this error by installing the recommended windows updates. One of the updates was the SP1 update, which evidently has a fix for the windows search /indexing feature. However, unfortunately, although the indexing error disappeared (yipee), the update seemed to cause another unexpected and much more serious error.  Whenever the user tried to open the outlook calendar using the tab, the calendar would "hang" and outlook would crash. Oddly, the users calendar could still be accessed by other users through the shared calendar function, and the user could still access their calendar through the remote web workplace and webmail...just not through outlook. 

We felt the problem was somehow related to the SP1 update and the now corrected indexing feature, but windows would not allow us to uninstall the SP1 update. So we spent many hours trying different suggested fixes in blogs (including removing recurring calendar items, uninstalling updates, and trying to restore software with various .exe files), uninstalling and reinstalling office 2007, and trying to fix the software through other traditional methods. After talking with MS support and beign transferred to 3 different MS tech groups, we finally determined the only solution was to do a system restore, and reinstall everything back to the way it was before the updates. So, now the calendar works again, but we have no updates.  If anyone has an idea about how we can install the updates and NOT blow out the calendar function please advise. We have not tried the psuedo fix you mention above related to the to-do list, but if we get brave enough to re-install SP1, and have the same issue, we may give it a go! 

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:50 AM
  • Removing the Tasks list in the calendar view resolved the problem for me. Thanks Johanvo!

Friday, March 07, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I just spent $49.00 to pay for support on Microsoft to get the hanging and freezing problem fixed.  While I hate the idea that I had to pay for it (since Gateway Tech Support was clueless on this problem), I had not choice but to pay the fee.  Nevertheless, after trying everything in the book, they fixed the problem.

Let me tell you what DID NOT work so that I can save you the agony of spending hours.

* Re-loading my Outlook 2007 did not work.

* Re-loading Office Vista did not work.

* Re-loading Vista Operating System did not work.

* Installing and re-installing updates did not work.

* Removing Adobe Acrobat did not work.

* Reducing the size of the .pst file did not work.

Here are the steps that I did to stop the freezing and hanging so that you don't have to pay the $49.99 fee that I had to pay.

- In Outlook, go to "Tools";

- Select "Trust Center"

- In Trust Center, click "Add-Ins"

- At The Bottom Make Sure That "Com Add-Ins" is selected and Click "Go"

- You must uncheck, as many of the add-ins as possible.  There may be some Microsoft programs that it will not let you uncheck.  That's OK.  Uncheck as many items as possible.

- After you are done, you must close Outlook 2007 completely and restart Outlook.

When I did this, the hanging and freezing stopped and my computer also stopped crashing.  You should note that if you are using add-ins like Plaxo, MagicJack, or similar applications, these programs may re-appear in your Outlook the next time you boot your computer unless you remove them completely.  So if the problem appears fixed, but it re-appears, you may want to check to be sure that some of those add-in's didn't re-appear in Outlook 2007.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Hi Johanvo,
    thanks a million! Your solution worked for me. I had tried a lot of suggestions beforehand such as running scanpst on my *.pst files, running scanost on my *.ost files, starting outlook with the  /cleanviews switch, repairing Office 2007, but none of these worked.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:17 PM

• Great, this post should be the Sticky post of this forum then :-)
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Unfortunately in spite of everything above, I cannot clear this problem - running XP and Office 2007 with SP1 - any attempt to display calendar content hangs Outlook. This behaviour commenced after installing the office SP1. I have also applied outlook2007-kb952142 fix with no improvement.

How do I remove to do items if I cannot access the calendar view?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Tried everything - didn't work. I am running XP and Office 2003. I can see the calendar (day, week, month) but cannot access a day to input an event or change an existing event in the calendar. The blue bar will highlight the day but nothing happens when I double click on the bar or I double click on an existing event. I have 2 home computers (1 rarely runs) on a single router. I get no error message. Please help. Thanks

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I had a hard drive that was corrupted so I had to reinstall everything, but I had everything backed up. I had the same problem with Vista (Ultimate 64) and Outlook 2007 SP1. I had imported in my work e-mail PST and the calendar problem was fixed when I imported in my archive and personal folder PSTs. I think the problem was that I had followups tagged on e-mails. The e-mails were imported in, but since the personal folder hadn't been imported yet, it must have been looking for the reminders in such in a location that didn't exist yet. I did un-install business contact manager, but might reinstall as it doesn't look to have been the problem. Hope this can help someone else!
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:47 AM
  • outlook /resettodobar

outlook /cleanprofile

outlook /cleanviews

outlook /cleandmrecords

Running all these has help out our users. The cleanviews switch deletes any custom views the user has created. I think most of these issues can be traced back to mailboxes which were once accessed using outlook 2000/2003 and are now access by outlook 2007. Upgrade from office 2003 to 2007 on the same computer doesn't help the situation either.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012185891033.aspx

has a lot of command line switches you can try. Many of them delete customizations users have made and clean out any settings, so be sure the user won't miss their customizations (like /cleancategories, that one bit me in the ***)

Marcus

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Thanks Johanvo

Removing the Tasks list in the calendar view also resolved the problem for me  - I had tried so many things suggested in other forums to resolve the problem, but every time I clicked on 'calendar', Outlook would freeze. It was incredibly frustrating. Even starting it using /cleanviews didn't work for me.

Anyway, this totally solved the problem and was pretty painless, so thank you very much indeed for bothering to post.

Monday, September 01, 2008 11:46 AM
  • The problem worked for me too. Unfortunately, you did not explain how to get into calendar to be able to not have the task and to-do list show up. Well, after reading your post CAREFULLY, I was in my Task and click on yesterdays date in the small calendar on the To-Do bar and it opened calendar without any problems. I then continued on disabling the task/todo list. Now, calendar opens without any problems. THANK YOU!!!

Friday, September 05, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Thanks, Johanvo.
    This was just what I needed! I've been trying for a week to fix this.
    For me, I had to choose a date before today. Today or after caused Outlook to hang.
    Monday, September 08, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Starting Outlook with the /resettodobar flag fixed my problem. I recall recently marking some of my tasks as complete. This must have messed up the the to do bar.

Thanks for the suggestion Marcus55!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Just adding my 'me too' comment to this, just in case anybody from the Outlook team @ Microsoft reads this and wants to fix it for real, as I quite liked having my daily task list available in calendar view.

Thanks Johanvo for the workaround - this was starting to really bug me as I'd already tried scanost, created a brand new profile (and hence OST) and the other troubleshooting like removing add-ins, /cleanfreebusy, /resettodobar etc etc.  

Just to be clear to others who come across the thread after seeing the problem, the way to implement the workaround is to click on a date previous to 'today' in the small calendar in the 'To do' pane, which allows access to your calendar. Then click 'View', 'Daily Task List' and 'Off' - then your calendar wil behave normally again.

• Proposed as answer by Penetic Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:33 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Also a 'me too' from here.

Wish I was experiencing a better reaction in solving this problem.

:-)

Klaus

Friday, October 17, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Thank you Marcus.

This problem was was driving me to computer rage!

Using the the 4 switches you mentioned solved the problem for me.

The no preview switch, and shortcut creation for it, referred to in the link you provided is also very handy. 

You're a scholar and a champion!

Whopper

Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Thanks Johanvo!

I had a similar issue with the calendar hang arising from a task.  I think the issue was that I had assigned it two categories.  Once I removed that task everything was back to working fine.

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:18 PM
  • I have the same issue - thought that I could remove the shared calendars but I don't see that option upon right click....am I missing the ability to remove the calendars that I viewed?    The hang time seems directly related to how much content needs to be updated in the shared calendar.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Yes, but how can you get in the calendar screen if Outlook hangs when you click on the calendar?

I found the following solution: I started the Outlook with the command line switch
    /cleanprofile (see this article) and the problem disappeared. Try and other "clean*" switches if this particular does not work with you.

When I managed to switch to the calendar view, I disabled the task list in the bottom of the screen. If this does not work keep reading tricks that other users applied and you may find a solution.

Thank you all guys for posting your experience here.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Great Post.,

Thanks for the tip. I have the same problem with the Calendar hanging my Outlook 2007 when I clicked on the Calendar Tab. I removed teh task view and the problem has been resolved, Is this a bug? or is there a patch to fix this?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Dear Johanvo
    A Big Thank You for sharing your finding on this forum. it was a great help. I have to thank other follows who completed it with additional tips on how to get rid of tasks list in calendar view.

Thanks to you guys I can use my calendar again.
    All the Best
    • Proposed as answer by wimyogya Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:29 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Hi all,

After studying numerous posts on numerous forums on the web regarding this ridiculous bug (where is your patch, finally, Microsoft?????) I found out that none of the solutions worked for me. But I think I did find an experimental workaround myself: I de-activated the CALENDAR tab  and now access my calender through the todo-pane that is visible in my email/contact/note views. So the same todo/task panes that others recommend to close, is MY stepping stone.

This is how I did it:
    - I started OUTLOOK.EXE through the RUN command, with flags /cleanprofile /cleanviews /resettodobar (as mentioned in earlier posts - thanks!) to have a clean version
    - Through the Tools > Options > Other > To-Do-Bar I activated the todo-bar, with two rows of two calendar months (I have enough space on a wide screen laptop) - and including tasks, no problem.
    - In the menu on the bottom left of Outlook I used the option 'show fewer buttons' to de-activate the CALENDAR button - that tab seems to be the object that triggers the trouble, in my case at least. If it's not there you cannot (ab)use it.
    - I restarted Outlook and could work normally.
    - When in email/contact/note view i can access any calendar date through the todo-bar - and switch back - without anyproblem (so far!)

What NOT works:
    - In Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options I selected: startup in this folder: CALENDAR. I should NOT have done that: my mouse could not even access the Outlook window, bumped against the Outlook borders. Nor could I click any command. Don't ask me how I got rid of this frustrating loop - but finally I managed to select MAIL again as my startup folder. (By the way: this simple startup preference should not be hidden far in the 'advanced, other options' - but in a first 'general' tab! Microsoft: change it!)

I am curious if (being a simple computer user, not a whizz-senior, this workaround works for others as well as it does for me. Mail me at wimyogya@gmail.com with your comment - I dont access these forums, usually.

But first of all I wait for the day Microsoft comes with a real solution for this apparently essential bug in their software. Hurry up, please!

WimYogya
    Dutch senior in Indonesia

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Hi Guys,

In a previous post I thanked Marcus for his tips. They did the job in Outlook 2007 running on Vista 64-bit.

I have now installed Office 2007 on Windows 7 beta 64-bit and the Outlook Calendar freeze problem is back.
    Unfortunately this time using the switches etc just has not worked.

I don't think it is a Windows 7 bug. Everything else works really well in 7. 
    The various forums indicate that Microsoft have simply never really fixed the Outlook calendar crash problem.

Anyone got any ideas? 

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:23 AM
  • If I could only get to the Calendar tab to check the settings again I would. But Outlook is hanging CONSTANTLY. I haven't been able to exit the application normally in more than 10 days - it's always via Task Manager after an application hang. This happened all the sudden - literally - in the last 10 days. I haven't changed anything but I do have automatic updates - wondering if there's something in one of the latest that is causing this? here's the text I pulled from the details:

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          AppHangB1

Application Name:   OUTLOOK.EXE

Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000

Application Timestamp:       4833a470

Hang Signature:         0680

Hang Type:   256

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:     1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:            d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5

Additional Hang Signature 2:            83d2

Additional Hang Signature 3:            af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865

Additional Hang Signature 4:            0680

Additional Hang Signature 5:            d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5

Additional Hang Signature 6:            83d2

Additional Hang Signature 7:            af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:28 PM
  • thank you! this is the kind of information i'm looking for - something that really fixes the problem. it's weird we'd have to pay to get the answer when it seems to have started after one of their updates. i searched everywhere online and within microsoft support to get answers but no luck until this forum.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I found the two causes of my Outlook Calendar woes.

A. I had Search Indexing enabled. Forgot I had disabled it in Vista. Hopeless program which gets itself confused at the slightest thing.

Disable it.

B. I had File > Imported the Outlook.pst files I had backed up from vista. This is a big NO! Dont use import.

It resulted in multiple calendars which Outlook could not handle.

To fix use the following sequence: 

1. Create new blank outlook.pst file: File > New > Outlook data file. (You can rename it to whatever)
    2. Set up your email settings etc.  If you have > 1 email account set each one as default in turn and the inbox etc will be created.
    3. Set the default back to primary email account you want to use.
    4. File > Open > the old outlook.pst and simply copy the personal mail folders you need to the new blank one. You can
             copy messages too. e.g. from the inbox of the old pst file to the new one. DONT copy the calendar.
    5. File > close the old outlook.pst file and never open it again.  Use Explorer to move it to remove it from the normal folder your .pst files are in.

You should now be able to click Calendar view. Only one calendar should be visible for your default email account.

• Edited by Geekus Australis Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:25 AM Clarification
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:44 AM
  • I was also having this issue on a system with Outlook 2007 attached to an Exchange 2003 server in a ad, domain setting.

I tried all the switches suggested plus unloading all com objects.

As a workaround I setup the person with a shortcut using the /safe:4 switch. This was until I figured out the issue.

I finally figured out it was that the account was pointing to a shared calendar for an account that was no longer in active directory. I deleted that old reference. Viola! It works fine now.

I know this will probably only be an issue for folks in a domain setting but hopefully it will save some aggravation.

"Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    >Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
     - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:11 PM
  • @bearwa

How did you remove that old reference? I am having the exact same problem, I can access my calendar without anything that freezes, but I cannot remove the old calendar that refers to a user in the old domain, right clicking it makes outlook freeze for 2-4 minutes before it's back. Though the right click command hasn't been performed, thus I cannot remove the calendar.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:32 PM
  • If I could only get to the Calendar tab to check the settings again I would. But Outlook is hanging CONSTANTLY. I haven't been able to exit the application normally in more than 10 days - it's always via Task Manager after an application hang. This happened all the sudden - literally - in the last 10 days. I haven't changed anything but I do have automatic updates - wondering if there's something in one of the latest that is causing this? here's the text I pulled from the details:

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          AppHangB1

Application Name:   OUTLOOK.EXE

Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000

Application Timestamp:       4833a470

Hang Signature:         0680

Hang Type:   256

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:     1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:            d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5

Additional Hang Signature 2:            83d2

Additional Hang Signature 3:            af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865

Additional Hang Signature 4:            0680

Additional Hang Signature 5:            d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5

Additional Hang Signature 6:            83d2

Additional Hang Signature 7:            af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865

I'm also having this same problem after trying everything in this thread! Am also using Windows 7 RC 64-Bit and Office 2007 SP1. Problem only started happening about 5 days ago, and it is driving me insane! I've done everything suggested and the problem remains - even after reinstalling the OS!

Please fix your broken software, Microsoft. I'm seriously considering moving to Thunderbird or something - anything - that works.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Thanks Johanvo. You are a champion. I have been having outlook freeze issues for months now. Since, I do not use calendar on my personal computer - it was ok initially. But now I frequently use calendar and it was frustrating that either outlook or vista would crash every few minutes. Finally, googled and landed on your past. Thank you so much. Finally, I can atleast access Calendar.

Thanks to Tim as well for explaining how to access the pane.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Hey guys,
    I have the same problem. Just I am trying to remove the task pane at the bottom, but as soon as I click Calendar all of Outlook freezes up. How do I solve this?
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Hi Zac,

Below I repeat the workaround I mentioned already in this forum in January. Since I followed the procedure below, Outlook works fine for me. No more trouble.
    But it's strange that Windows doesnt repair the bug at all. No action so far.
    This is how I did it:

Hi all,

After studying numerous posts on numerous forums on the web regarding this ridiculous bug (where is your patch, finally, Microsoft?????) I found out that none of the solutions worked for me. But I think I did find an experimental workaround myself: I de-activated the CALENDAR tab  and now access my calender through the todo-pane that is visible in my email/contact/note views. So the same todo/task panes that others recommend to close, is MY stepping stone.

This is how I did it:
    - I started OUTLOOK.EXE through the RUN command, with flags /cleanprofile /cleanviews /resettodobar (as mentioned in earlier posts - thanks!) to have a clean version
    - Through the Tools > Options > Other > To-Do-Bar I activated the todo-bar, with two rows of two calendar months (I have enough space on a wide screen laptop) - and including tasks, no problem.
    - In the menu on the bottom left of Outlook I used the option 'show fewer buttons' to de-activate the CALENDAR button - that tab seems to be the object that triggers the trouble, in my case at least. If it's not there you cannot (ab)use it.
    - I restarted Outlook and could work normally.
    - When in email/contact/note view i can access any calendar date through the todo-bar - and switch back - without anyproblem (so far!)

What NOT works:
    - In Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options I selected: startup in this folder: CALENDAR. I should NOT have done that: my mouse could not even access the Outlook window, bumped against the Outlook borders. Nor could I click any command. Don't ask me how I got rid of this frustrating loop - but finally I managed to select MAIL again as my startup folder. (By the way: this simple startup preference should not be hidden far in the 'advanced, other options' - but in a first 'general' tab! Microsoft: change it!)

I am curious if (being a simple computer user, not a whizz-senior, this workaround works for others as well as it does for me. Mail me at wimyogya@gmail.com with your comment - I dont access these forums, usually.

But first of all I wait for the day Microsoft comes with a real solution for this apparently essential bug in their software. Hurry up, please!

WimYogya
    Dutch senior in Indonesia
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Hi, installing office2007 Service Pack 2. Solved
    Friday, September 18, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Hi, all.

I also had the same problem.

Computer configuration: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 v with 1 GB RAM and HD 160 GB, Windows XP Prof SP 3, Outlook 2007 SP 2.

I was using outlook connected to an exchange server 2007, accessing also to my personal outlook information located in a different local session (I'm a consultant with "different worlds" at same time, so it is important for me to see all my calendars, tasks and appointments in the same screen).

I started the local outlook recreating outlook.pst file from scratch, and I imported things one to one into this local file. It worked fine until I reloaded the local address book. Then, I saw that in the local outlook task list I had an address (from the address book); I deleted this item from the task list (and the only way is deleting it also from address book), and now it works.

I wish to thank the other contributors, because thanks to the trick of opening the calendar clicking to yesterday's date I was able to locate what was wrong.

Nevertheless, I beg Microsoft to test that and to patch it, it is obvious that the software did not treat that issue properly.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Hoppett Friday, February 08, 2013 2:14 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Hey All,

I had a similar crashing problem with my Outlook Calendar (2007 SP2 on Vista Pro x64). In my case it was only with the week view in the calendar. It turned out that an assigned task was the culprit. Removing the assigned task (who wants them anyway) fixed the problem. I removed the assigned task through the  Tasks view. Also, I could temporarily get access to the calendar by running the /clearviews switch, but the problem would reappear as soon as I switched the calendar to the week view with the assigned task. Quite annoying.

Thanks to everyone for posting their solutions.

Cheers,
    Craig.
    • Proposed as answer by n_mallard Monday, May 09, 2011 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I am using Windows Vista on a Sony Notebook with Outlook 2007 SP1 connected to exchange server 2003.  I had a problem that my outlook worked fine except for one thing: it hanged whenever I clicked on the calendar tab.  I then had to restart my outlook, there was no other way out of the problem.

Investigating the problem it occurred that when I clicked on individual dates on the calendar displayed on the front screen, the calendar did display EXCEPT when TODAY was selected.  Any other date worked fine except the current date.  This was true for any date, in such a manner that today would freeze up, but on the next day the same date (which was then yesterday) did not hang anymore.

After a long while I accidentally found the solution to this problem.  You will notice when the calendar is displayed in the default calendar view (month/week/day with preview), at the bottom of the screen there is also a part where today's tasks are displayed.  I edited the view and removed the display of tasks in the calendar screen, and suddenly the calendar did not hang anymore.  It appeared that some item amongst the tasks caused the crash, but when the tasks are displayed in the task tab, Outlook does not hang.

So, if your Outlook 2007 hangs whenever you click on the calendar tab, edit your calendar view and disable the display of the task/todo list in the calendar view.  This might solve your problem like it did for me.

Try outlook.exe /resettodobar in the run command
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Type in:
    outlook.exe /resettodobar

using the run command option

Have a nice day.
    :)
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Thanks a thousend times! This worked perfectly for me!!
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:09 PM
  • hi,

follow these step to solve the problem:

1) create a test profile & add your PST file one at a time.

2) Now in the calender tab , right click on the calender and save the calender file as icalender.

3) Do the same procedure for rest of your pst , Now you will get seperate calender files.

4) now go to your profile and click on File>Import & Export Wizard>Import an ICalender.(Import calender which you need into new profile)

5) import your calender in your new configured outlook profile.

this worked for me.

Friday, May 07, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Thank you!

Using outlook /resettodobar, I fixed Calendar freezing.

Also outlook /resettodobar command did not change many things what I did customized view and settings.

Thanks!!!

Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Same here:

Starting Outlook with the /resettodobar flag fixed my problem.

Thanks a lot!!!

• Proposed as answer by John Kings Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:33 AM
    Monday, June 07, 2010 1:34 PM
  • To:  J Craig

Deleted the Assigned Tasks --- All OK, thank you for the help here.  A lot of it was over my head, but I did assign a task for the IT Manager to do, next thing that happened was my Calendar hung up....

My Blackberry would work OK, I could run OL via Citrix OK, but not from my desk PC.  Deleted the assigned task to the IT Mgr and it works now. 

Update - Symptom returned - OL Hung up on the calendar again....

To Lavinco:   I started OL using the "outlook.exe /resettodobar" and it am back in action....

Monday, June 07, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Hi all,

for me the option to remove the task bar was great

I had only problem with the current week view I was able to see previous week and also next week but not current one

Thanks a ton,

• Proposed as answer by BSBrook33 Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:39 PM
    Monday, July 05, 2010 8:53 AM
  • I click the "Tasks" tab then select a date other than today ... and outlook still hangs up.

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Thank You as well!  I just started having a problem with Outlook locking up when I tried to open the CALENDAR.  I could open everything elso in Outlook - no problem, but not the calendar.  I ran the commandline outlook /resettodobar and it seemed to fix the problem.  THANK YOU!
    Monday, January 17, 2011 8:03 PM
  • This tip worked for me when Outlook 2007 was hanging when I clicked on the calendar button.  I had tried repairing Office 2007 and repairing the Hotmail Outlook Connector, and that didn't help.  So when I opened the to-do bar in mail view and then clicked on a date other than today, the calendar did open, just as Johanvo said.  In calendar view, I turned off the daily task list.  Then, back in mail view, I removed all flags for today's tasks by marking them complete or moving them to the "no date" category.  Now I can click on the Calendar button and open the calendar without freezing up.
    • Proposed as answer by watsdamattau Monday, April 09, 2012 10:34 PM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Craig,

This solution worked perfectly for me. I had flagged some mail items and i dont tend to "unflag" anything after i've completed it. I removed these outstanding items and calendar opens fine!

Thanks heaps

Monday, May 09, 2011 1:59 AM
  • After searching the web for more than a week now I finally came across this forum which has FIXED MY CALENDAR WOES - thank you sooooo much for this detailed expl re turning off that nasty daily task list - BTW in case you didn't notice it's now 2011 so you'd think after three or so years Microsoft would have this very simple (when you know) fix SOMEWHERE within their search parameters?!
    • Proposed as answer by John Kings Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by John Kings Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:37 PM
  • outlook /resettodobar  is the solution

Windows 7

Outlook 2007

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Win7 64bit /resettodobar FIXED! Thx Guys!
    life is better than you think
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Thanks Tim! This resolved my issue. Thanks for the post!
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Had the same "Outlook 2007 hangs with Calendar tab is clicked" issue. Tried all of the above without success, but after I re-created the profile, I was finally able to get into Calendar. After all that, the bizarre thing is that if I ever clicked on the 29th of February (it's a leap year), Outlook would hang again. Tried everything and finally found that if I clicked on any day before the 29th AND THEN clicked on the 29th of Feb, I could view that day's appointments. I deleted all appointments on that day and Viola, Calendar works perfectly again.

I'm thinking that there was an appointment that got corrupted somehow and was causing all of my troubles. I do recall using the "Propose New Time" function just before the problem occurred.

Hopefully my experience helps someone get closer to a solution ... This seems to be a fairly random problem with multiple causes

• Proposed as answer by BradAlcor Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:03 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Had the same problem of the Calendar locking 100% of the time on one Win XP computer using Hosted Exchange where another laptop and OWA are both working perfectly.  Updated OS and Office files, turned off Add-ins, ran Outlook with all of the proposed switches, compacted, renamed and repeatedly rebuilt the OST file, plus a bunch of other actions too numerous to mention.  Nothing helped.

Finally removed the Calendar button from the bottom of the screen.  Was able to click on the date from the To-Do list on the top and all appeared well.  Figured everything is fine.  Would lock the program if I went directly to Feb. 29th, but could live with that by going to the 28th and then moving to the 29th.  

Found out this morning that if you click on today (March 8, 2012) it locks the system.  Don't know whether it is just March 8th or if you click on whatever today is (the most necessary date in the calendar).  Back to the drawing board.  Next step would be to build an entirely new profile.

Microsoft, if you are listening to this, you are reminding me of Casey Stengel when he first got to the NY Mets after managing the champion Yankees for years.  On a particularly frustrating day he said, "Don't anyone know how to play baseball here?".  The fact that so many people are having problems with this program is certainly not a coincidence.  Can't they figure out what is wrong and fix it?  If you Google 'Outlook 2007 hangs calendar' you get 8,300,000 results.  Microsoft, are you listening?

Regards, Richard Hein

Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:49 PM
  • This tip worked for me when Outlook 2007 was hanging when I clicked on the calendar button.  I had tried repairing Office 2007 and repairing the Hotmail Outlook Connector, and that didn't help.  So when I opened the to-do bar in mail view and then clicked on a date other than today, the calendar did open, just as Johanvo said.  In calendar view, I turned off the daily task list.  Then, back in mail view, I removed all flags for today's tasks by marking them complete or moving them to the "no date" category.  Now I can click on the Calendar button and open the calendar without freezing up.

We tried every single "fix" on this thread and none of them worked. We had tried for hours and days. Then we tried this one and THANK YOU, it worked perfectly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Monday, April 09, 2012 10:32 PM
  • A small variant Johanvo's solution:

Outlook 2007 was freezing on accessing the Calendar.  I tried /safe and disabling all COM add-ins. Did not work.  

I could not access the Calendar to change the Task Bar setting, so instead I moved all the tasks out to a .pst folder (I'm not an active user of Tasks, anyway; these were years old).  

That worked.  

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:44 PM
  • I tried everything but this is the post that sorted my system out.  Thanks a million Tim, you have saved me loads of time, frustration and reduced my blood pressure!
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:14 PM
  • I also had this problem.  It's solved now after trying the suggestions here.

Thanks for all the good ideas.  It's good to know I'm not alone with this annoying problem!

In the end, in my case, I found that it was a problem with an old pst archive file.  I walked through my pst files, clicking different items and found that one old archive would consistently cause the freeze.  So I created a new pst file, copied the old content across and removed the old pst.  Now everything is working fine (and I can have my to-do bar back again!)

BRgds,

Steve

Friday, February 08, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Thanks for this explanation! I had this problem, it drove me crazy. I asked around in my company, nobody ever encountered this issue. The first time I encountered it, it was solved after I changed a lot of settings, and removed completed tasks; but then re-appeared after a week. Then the problem vanished again after I opened Outlook on someone else's computer; only to return the day after.
    This simple solution fixed it (hopefully forever). Only note: I wasn't able to just access the calendar view by clicking any date previous to 'today' (in the small calendar in the 'To do' pane), I was able to access it by clicking a date two months in the future.
    Microsoft shouldn't add features that don't work properly.

Michaël

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:36 PM