Outlook cannot access Public Folders on Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I just migrated Public Folders from Exchange 2007 to 2013. I'm trying to access Public Folders from Outlook 2007/2010 and I'm getting the following error when I select All Public Folders, "Cannot display the folder. Microsoft Outlook cannot access the specified folder location." When I try to expand All Public Folders I get these error "Cannot expand the folder, Microsoft Exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the Exchange server is down for maintenance." I'm hoping for a quick easy fix.

Vincent Sprague

Monday, July 1, 2013 2:54 AM

Answers

• I found that the publicfolderserver value in Autodiscover was pointed to the external fqdn of the exchange server and the rest of the proxy servers were pointing to the internal fqdn. I changed outlook anywhere to direct all clients to the external fqdn of the server and that resolved the issue for me. The issue occurred because there are Windows XP clients which have issues with certificates.

Vincent Sprague

• Marked as answer by Baron164 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:47 PM

All replies

• You have to migrate the public folders to Exchange 2013, use the below link to Migrate

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150486(v=exchg.150).aspx

Due to the changes in how public folders are stored, legacy Exchange mailboxes are unable to access the public folder hierarchy on Exchange 2013 servers or on Exchange Online. However, user mailboxes on Exchange 2013 servers or Exchange Online can connect to legacy public folders. Exchange 2013 public folders and legacy public folders can’t exist in your Exchange organization simultaneously. This effectively means that there’s no coexistence between versions. Migrating public folders to Exchange Server 2013 or Exchange Online is currently a one-time cutover process.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150538(v=exchg.150).aspx

Monday, July 1, 2013 6:18 AM
  • As I stated in my original post, I have already migrated public folders to 2013. I locked the old public folder database for migration and migrated them last night. So public folders are on the new Exchange server. One thing I've noticed is that when I try to manage permissions on the migrated public folders I get a 500 unexpected error window popping up. It also appears that I can access at least the public folders with mail items from OWA. OWA will not let me access calendar's and contact folders.

I've also gone through several mailboxes and confirmed that they are all using the new Public Folder mailbox as the default.

Vincent Sprague

• Edited by Baron164 Monday, July 1, 2013 12:52 PM update
    Monday, July 1, 2013 12:31 PM
  • I found that the publicfolderserver value in Autodiscover was pointed to the external fqdn of the exchange server and the rest of the proxy servers were pointing to the internal fqdn. I changed outlook anywhere to direct all clients to the external fqdn of the server and that resolved the issue for me. The issue occurred because there are Windows XP clients which have issues with certificates.

Vincent Sprague

• Marked as answer by Baron164 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hallo can you send me back more info,

I have the same issue as mentioned in link below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2788136

How did you point autodiscover for external FQDN 

Branislav Pastorek SEAL IT services

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:34 PM
  • that doenst make sense to me. what publicfolderserver value in autodiscover are you talking about?
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:53 PM