none
Link old users mailbox to new user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible to detach an old users mailbox and link this to a new user?

If it is, will it use the new users email address etc?

Thanks in advance

Shane

Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hi 

Thank you for the replies.

So i have just checked and the new user has been linked to an email when it shouldn't have been. Can i disable the link for the new account from its mailbox, and then link the old mailbox to this new user as you specified Edward?

Thanks

Shane

Hi,

Yes, this can be done.

Disable both mailboxes, then link the old disabled mailbox to this new AD user. The new mailbox will use the new email address that is created based on email address policy.

Connect or Restore a Disabled Mailbox

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123490%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Lynn-Li Friday, September 2, 2016 3:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Friday, September 9, 2016 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shane W Friday, September 9, 2016 12:10 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi

Well if you disable the user account the mailbox goes into a disconnected state, you can then enable the account and link it to another mailbox.

Microsoft PFE

Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:49 AM
    Owner
    1. Assuming you the account you want to link it to is not already linked to another mailbox then yes as Edward pointed out you can do so, check out this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123490%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    2. Now if you want to be able to open a mailbox that was disabled to review the content without associating to a  new account you would need to use RDB to export to PST or use a 3rd party product like DigiScope

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 --> 2016 with Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp

Thursday, September 1, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi 

So i have just checked and the new user has been linked to an email when it shouldn't have been. Can i disable the link for the new account from its mailbox, and then link the old mailbox to this new user as you specified Edward?

Thanks

Shane

Thursday, September 1, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Hi 

Thanks

Shane

Hi,

Yes, this can be done.

Disable both mailboxes, then link the old disabled mailbox to this new AD user. The new mailbox will use the new email address that is created based on email address policy.

Connect or Restore a Disabled Mailbox

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123490%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Lynn-Li Friday, September 2, 2016 3:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Friday, September 9, 2016 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shane W Friday, September 9, 2016 12:10 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 3:17 AM