none
Any "Best Practices" for a test/developer Exchange 2010 server? RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario:
    Single Site with 1 Production Exchange 2010 server and 1 Test/Developer Exchange 2010 Server.  Edge Server is a IIS SMTP box.
    The Test/Developer server only has a handful of test mailboxes on it and no public folders.  I want to insure no "production" (internal or external) email gets to or goes through to the test/develoepr server even though I want it to be part of the same site as the Production Server.  Is there a way to insure this? In a couple of tests, we are seeing "production" email go through the test/developer server even though no recipients are mailboxed on it.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hiya,

I'd suggest setting up an isolated Exchange dev/test environment on a test AD domain. The way you've got it setup means your tests could possibly affect your AD infrastructure, and you obviously need to be careful with permissions and be concious you can't make organisational changes, limiting your testiing.

If you need it to be in the same Exchange org, but want to isolate it somewhat, you could get seperate routable VLAN or similar setup, and create a new AD site, with new AD controller, mimicking a branch-office/remote site - this should provide a layer of isolation of hub transport and AD traffic.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

I'd suggest setting up an isolated Exchange dev/test environment on a test AD domain. The way you've got it setup means your tests could possibly affect your AD infrastructure, and you obviously need to be careful with permissions and be concious you can't make organisational changes, limiting your testiing.

If you need it to be in the same Exchange org, but want to isolate it somewhat, you could get seperate routable VLAN or similar setup, and create a new AD site, with new AD controller, mimicking a branch-office/remote site - this should provide a layer of isolation of hub transport and AD traffic.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Thanks,

We are going to try the 180 day trial Exchange 2010 SP1 VHD you can download from Microsoft and see if that lets us do the testing we need to do. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=53f7382a-3664-4de3-8303-31e514d69f02&displaylang=en

I never appreicated how hard it was to "isolate" one Exchange Server from the others in the same site (!).

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:28 PM