550-5.7.1 Our system has detected that this message is not RFC 2822 compliant RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Exchange 2013 in my environment. For some reason I'm using mailer daemon as a smart host for outgoing internet emails. But now emails are being stuck at queue. On one of the email destined for gmail i received following error 

550-5.7.1 Our system has detected that this message is not RFC 2822 compliant. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail,  this message has been blocked. Please review RFC 2822 specifications for more information. c5si10157938wiv.7.

Mail to yahoo is also stuck. Other emails are routing properly to other domains. Even few email to gmail routed successfully.

Also reply to a "message from a gmail account" routes to gmail without any problem

I'm not not a developer. can some one give an easy solution.

Regards

Yazdani

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:18 PM

Answers

• Looking online I see you're certainly not alone. From what I understand RFC 2822 rules are stricter in terms of message format than the previous RFC, so while some things were allowed they no longer are. Couple of things I see mentioned :

1) Errant characters in the from name - "I found out what the problem was. My From field was having a comma in it, which Gmail didn't like. ie:
    From: "Alaska Games", "Inc" <axxx...@gmail.com>" - http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/pIhqQ8JCgGI

2) Duplicate To: and or From: fields in the message headers. Quite possible if you're sending via some web application, but I assume unlikely from Outlook. This one's also mentioned in the above link.

I'd suggest your best bet would be to send a message to somewhere that works (for instance a personal email account), and then check the message headers in the received message. That will show you if you have duplicate header information, an invalid sender name or something else.

If you can't find the cause from the header info then post it here and hopefully someone will be able to spot where the problem is.

• Marked as answer by cara chen Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:25 PM