none
Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2003 sync issues

Question

• Recently we upgraded few client computer Office packages from Office 2007 to Office 2010 (on 2007 everything works as it should).
    Since then, Local Failure folder started to fill up with sync errors, unable to sync calendar, unable to categorize any mail, meetings keep poping out even after dissmis is used etc. (This item was not completely updated during the last server synchronization. Click here to review other version).
    On Exchange server, there are no logs that indicate any problem with syncronization, tried reinstalling/recreating profile/rebuilding cache on client computer, starting Outlook with all possible syntaxes, nothing works.
    On one machine, I got error in App log, Source: Outlook Event ID 55 - Calendar Folder New Download, and Source: Microsoft Office 14 Event ID 5000 - EventType officelifeboathang, P1 outlook.exe, P2 14.0.6025.1000, P3 mspt32.dll, P4 14.0.6025.1000, P5 NIL, P6 NIL, P7 NIL, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.
    How can I fix this sync issue?
    Log from Local Failures folder:

9:20:48 Synchronizer Version 14.0.6025<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 Synchronizing Mailbox 'xxx'<o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Inbox'<o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 Uploading to server 'xxx.xxx.xxx'<o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 Error synchronizing message 'test'<o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 [0-0]<o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 Moved a message that failed synchronization to 'Local Failures'. Message subject -> 'test'. You can view this message in your offline folder only.<o:p></o:p>

9:20:48 Done<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:37 AM

Answers

• I have resolved the issue, I was looking at wrong permissions. First I configured ShowSecurityPage registry setting to enable display of Security tab on OU of Exchange System Manager console (regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Exchange -> EXAdmin -> there I created new DWORD ShowSecurityPage with valute data 1.

After that I opened Exchange System Manager, right click on OU (<server name (Exchange)>) -> Properties -> Security -> Everyone group needed to have (I already had it marked from before) Create named properties in the information store, but I went to Advanced option and set This object, subcontainers and children objects. After that server was restarted and everything worked.

• Marked as answer by bkrsnik Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it happening with one user only or with lots of users. If its happening with one user than recreate the Outlook profile and check the issue.
    Update the OAB manually on the server and check the issue.

Check the application and post the event related to the issue (System Attendant Service, MSExchange FBS)

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:48 AM
  • It is happening to all users that have Office 2010 installed. Not a single MSExchange error.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Hi

Below link give you an idea on how outlook 2010 works with exchange server 2003

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178996.aspx

few of the expected features are supported but not all the feature. please read and know the details

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Thanks for reply Rajkumar, but I have covered all that. Outlook 2010 calendar and categories work with Exchange 2003 for sure. 
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Since its working well in outlook 2007, there wont be any issue in exchange server. what you will say, if you want to recreate your outlook profile?

you didnt inform the status on renaming a outlook profile for single user?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:02 PM
  • On profile recreation everything goes as it should, no errors, nothing.

Only errors I encountered are ones in Local Failure folder, and that I posted up here. I have no idea why this is not working...

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have mobile sync with outlook? Or other application like CRM in the environment?

Can we use outlook as normal e-mail sending/receiving?

Please verify if the we continue to receive sync error in local failure folder

Related information to share with you:

Error message when you try to open an activity in a shared calendar in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 client for Outlook: "This item was not completely updated during the last server synchronization. Click here to review other versions"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933099

Regards,

Xiu

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Only ActiveSync is active, nothing else, no CRM.

Outlook can normally be used for sending/receiving mail, only problem is categorizing mails and calendar syncing.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

User cannot see free/busy information for others from calendar,or user cannot publish free/busy information.

Is there any error when you navigate to calendar folder?

Please try to run Microsoft Office Outlook with the /cleanfreebusy and then check the issue again.

For ActiveSync, do you sync with outlook or sync with Exchange?

If with outlook, then I recommend you disable and then check the issue again. 

Free/Busy Folders in Exchange Server 2003 in Depth

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/freebusy-folders-exchange-server-2003-depth.html

Regards,

Xiu

Friday, July 22, 2011 5:06 AM
  • I have tried /cleanfreebusy, error still occurs.

More detailed problem with calendar:

When I create meeting, meeting pops up, I dismiss it and error logs itself in Local Failures, saying there is problem with syncronization and then it pops up again, totally ignoring dismiss function.

ActiveSync is syncing with Exchange.

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi

you find any error event logs related to mailbox database or Exchange Information store.

To test this.

Create a new mailbox database, if you have an option. Move few users mailbox for testing to that database. reconfigure the outlook profile.

If you dont have option to create a new database. move the mailbox to different database and check for the issue.

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Little update from my side:

Without cached mode it works normally, so I guess it is not server problem anymore, it is locally. All users are local administrators, have full rights on mail storage folder, any idea why it shouldnt sync properly?

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:42 AM
  • I have found same issue here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/4b0caace-0f21-4b9c-9073-54cace46550c , answer marked solution does not work for me either.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:12 AM
  • I have resolved the issue, I was looking at wrong permissions. First I configured ShowSecurityPage registry setting to enable display of Security tab on OU of Exchange System Manager console (regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Exchange -> EXAdmin -> there I created new DWORD ShowSecurityPage with valute data 1.

After that I opened Exchange System Manager, right click on OU (<server name (Exchange)>) -> Properties -> Security -> Everyone group needed to have (I already had it marked from before) Create named properties in the information store, but I went to Advanced option and set This object, subcontainers and children objects. After that server was restarted and everything worked.

• Marked as answer by bkrsnik Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:02 PM