none
Deduplication BackgroundOptimization error? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a new DPM 2019 server on Server 2019, there is three Schedule, and the BackgroundOptimization failing. I would like to find a way to troubleshooting this?

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-DedupSchedule

Enabled    Type               StartTime              Days               Name
    -------    ----               ---------              ----               ----
    True       Optimization                                                 BackgroundOptimization
    True       GarbageCollection  02:45                  Saturday           WeeklyGarbageCollection
    True       Scrubbing          03:45                  Saturday           WeeklyScrubbing

BackgroundOptimization error

Task Scheduler failed to start instance "{cd5aaf9f-9f6a-41ca-855b-7d88b08a7740}" of "\Microsoft\Windows\Deduplication\BackgroundOptimization"  task for user "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2153141027.

Task Scheduler failed to complete task "\Microsoft\Windows\Deduplication\BackgroundOptimization" , instance "{cd5aaf9f-9f6a-41ca-855b-7d88b08a7740}" , action "DedupTaskHandler Class" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2153141027.

/SaiTech

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:50 AM

Answers

• Thanks, yes I know but I was thinking in general. I fix it with formating the volume that had been enabled for deduplication.

/SaiTech

• Marked as answer by SaiTech Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:48 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Before enabling Data Deduplication, you must choose the Usage Type that most closely resembles your workload.

There are three (3) Usage Types included with Data Deduplication:

1. Default - tuned specifically for general purpose file servers.

2. Hyper-V - tuned specifically for VDI servers.

3. Backup - tuned specifically for virtualized backup applications, such as Microsoft DPM.

Since you're running DPM, have you configure the data deduplication for a "Virtualized Backup Server"?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, September 16, 2019 10:09 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

This problem may occur if the task account doesn’t have "logon as a batch job" privilege.

1. Click Start, type "gpedit.msc", try to configure the following policy:
    [Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment]
    -Log on as a batch job.

Add the domain\username account and any others you may need.

2. Open gpedit.msc, Admin tools -> Local Security Policy -> User rights Assignnment -> Allow Local login. Please add the account that you configured for the task. 

Please try and let us know the result.

If you find you can't change the security options locally then there might be a group policy that is setting this at the domain or ou level.

Cheers,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for the input,

I think I have to add to this case is that we have three SCDPM 2019 installed on Server 2019 with MBS. I notice that if you run Get-DedupSchedule.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-DedupSchedule

Enabled    Type               StartTime              Days               Name

-------    ----               ---------              ----               ----

True       Optimization                                                 BackgroundOptimization

True       GarbageCollection  02:45                  Saturday           WeeklyGarbageCollection

True       Scrubbing          03:45                  Saturday           WeeklyScrubbing

But if I run Get-DedupVolume I dont get any volume

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-DedupVolume 
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

But on the server that gives the BackgroundOptimization error I added the deduplications on the DPM Scratch Disk. And then disable is because the other DPM servers had no deduplication configured.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-dedupvolume

Enabled            UsageType          SavedSpace           SavingsRate          Volume
    -------            ---------          ----------           -----------          ------
    False              Backup             0 B                  0 %                  E:

Looks like some deduplications properties are set, and mess things up? Even if the deduplications is dissable?

/SaiTech

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:15 PM
  • DPM questions are out of scope of this forum, I suggest you create a new thread in the DPM forums over here:
    System Center Data Protection Manager > Data Protection Manager - General

DPM requires different configuration if you are going to use data deduplication on the DPM storage.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Thanks, yes I know but I was thinking in general. I fix it with formating the volume that had been enabled for deduplication.

/SaiTech

• Marked as answer by SaiTech Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:48 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Thanks for yoru sharing!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:32 AM