none
Archiving Closed Projects RRS feed

• Question

• With Project Server the Backup & Restore options provided opportunity to periodically clear projects that were closed/archived - I recall useful guidance from Gary Chefetz or Dale Howard on how to implement a process to clear but retain closed projects by backing them up to a specific backup database. 

As there is no equivalent option in Project Online do users have any suggestions, apart from using FluentPro, on how best to manage closed projects so that their data does not clutter up things like the Project Centre or Power BI Reports?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

Here is an article I wrote a while ago about how to archive completed projects with Project Online, keeping them in the DB. They'll not be anymore visible to the users in the project center, only by the admin. You can filter them out in PBI reports.

https://psbehindthescene.blogspot.com/2017/12/how-to-archive-completed-projects.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Friday, December 6, 2019 2:05 PM
    Friday, December 6, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I appreciate the advice provided - using Security Groups and permissions is great within PWA what about PowerBI, my guess is that it will still query all the data and that reports will have to be configured to exclude "Archived" reports.

Are there any implications on loading resource information for resources with large swathes of long term work in "Archived" projects? The ability to see Summary Resource Assignments is useful but I am wondering if it gets cluttered by data from "Archived" projects?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, December 9, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

Re PowerBI - yes you would have to modify the query to exclude projects flagged as archived.  This is best practise anyway as is restricting the timephased data for assignments, tasks and resources.  

Re Load Summary resource assignments, I am not sure if MS built any intelligence behind this to limit the data loaded in terms of scales, but I expect not!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Monday, December 9, 2019 10:21 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your wise words, I am working with Projects that span many years (Pharma) so there is considerable scope for summary resource assignments to accrue large volumes of data. 

Will have to keep an eye on performance and the user experience.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:07 PM