none
Error moving mailbox Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2003

Question

• I have to move a mailbox from Exchange 2010 back to Exchange 2003.

The Local Move Request fails with this error:

Error: Mailbox fa25756f-ac77-4e29-992a-ccb1e2eeba34 tombstone is present in the destination database. It must be cleaned up before the move operation can proceed.

The Exchange 2003 Server records this error:

Event Source:    MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store

Event ID:              1205

Description:

Failed to create the mailbox of /o=<Organization>/ou=< Administrative Group>/cn=Recipients/cn=<mailbox> with error 0x4e3.

I have run Cleanup Agent on the Exchange 2003 stores but no disconnected mailboxes are found (there is only 1 non-system mailbox still on this server).

Any suggestions on where the problem might be?

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• I couldn't move it back to any of the existing mail stores, but a brand new mail store on that server accepted it.

• Marked as answer by davidagosta Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:31 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:31 PM

All replies

• A-     You may wish to restart the IS service

B-      You may wish to change the mailbox retention setting to 0 and restart the IS service.  Allow online maintenance to run. Then set it back to 30.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

• Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, January 17, 2011 9:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by davidagosta Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:46 PM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Hi davidagosta,

How about your question? Any updates?

Frank Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Thanks Mike,

I've already tried "A", I'll give "B" a try tonight and report back.

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi davidagosta,

How about your question? Any updates?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:35 AM
  • OK as suggested I changed the mailbox retention setting to 0, restarted the IS service and waited for online maintenance to run.

I tried running the local move request but get the same errors as before (first post).

Creating a new mailbox works without issue.

Any other suggestions?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Are you using the Exchange 2007 tools to make the move?  If not, you will fail.  Any mailbox move between versions needs to be done from the Exchange 2007 utilities.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:35 PM
  • This is from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2003, and yes we are creating the Local Move Rquest from 2010's EMC. 

Exchange 2007 was never part of our enviroment.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Sorry for the mistype - you may need to clear your Ex2k3 mailbox dumpster to get this move to succeed.  Was this mailbox on the Ex2k3 server, then moved to Ex2010, and now you wish to move it back?
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Yes it was originally on the Exchange 2003 server. Due to an application incompatibility it has to go back to Exchange 2003.

Server Clean-up Agent finds no mailboxes awaiting purging.
    As per Mike Crowley’s suggestion the IS was set to purge deleted mailboxes immediately (even if not backed-up). The IS service was then restarted and an Online maintenance allowed to run.

To my knowledge that process should have forced purging of anything in the dumpster.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:25 PM
  • David, does your post above mean that didn't work?

At this point, i think you need to enable diagnostic logging on the IS service on both sides and start reading event logs.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:36 PM
  • This may also be something left over in the AD ...  Not sure how to clear out tombstones there, but that might solve your problem.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I enabled the following logging for ExchangeIS

Ex2003 server:
    System\General
    System\Connections
    System\Content Engine
    System\Move Mailbox
    Mailbox\Transport General
    Mailbox\General
    Mailbox\Background Cleanup
    Mailbox\IS/AD Synchronization

Ex2010 server:
    Private\DS Synchronization
    System\General
    System\Move Mailbox

No new errors are logged on either server.

Any recommendations on what else to log?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi davidagosta,

I guess you also restarted the IS service on Exchange 2003 server, right?

Please make sure the AD replication is good.

Could you please create a new database on the Exchange 2003, then move mailbox into it?

Please also run isinteg against the old database.

About the event 1205, please see:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Exchange&ProdVer=6.5.6940.0&EvtID=1205&EvtSrc=MSExchangeIS

Frank Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:59 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Hi davidagosta,

Any updates on your issue?

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:08 AM
  • >I guess you also restarted the IS service on Exchange 2003 server, right?

Yes I did.

>Please make sure the AD replication is good.

Yes AD replication is working correctly

>Could you please create a new database on the Exchange 2003, then move mailbox into it?

>Please also run isinteg against the old database.

Sorry for the delay other issues took precedence. I will likely try these tonight.

I'll update the thread whether it works or not.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hi David,

How did you solve this problem?

Darby

Monday, June 6, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Nothing I tried fixed it. The mailbox I needed to move was for a service account. The vendor released an Exchange 2010 compatable version and this became a non-issue. That app was the last thing on Exchange 2003, so once it was gone we retired it. 

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

David.

Monday, June 6, 2011 2:35 PM
  • I couldn't move it back to any of the existing mail stores, but a brand new mail store on that server accepted it.

• Marked as answer by davidagosta Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:31 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:31 PM