none
HELP!!!! Disabled Litigation Hold now DB filling disk up with logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need urgent help please.

I have 4 x mailboxes servers in a DAG

I disabled litigation hold for all mailboxes on a database yesterday, and I've come into today to find the storage disk that the db is located on rapidly running out of space. Log files are being generated and eating approx 1GB /per hour

My disk is going to fall over if I cannot halt the log creation.

Various warnings have been reported in the event log, but no errors 

Help please!!

Regards

Matt

Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• It sounds like it's creating a lot of logs deleting the stuff that was being retained by the hold.  Not sure how to throttle it, but log files do compress pretty well and you may be able to buy some space until it gets caught up by compressing the log files.

You can either mark the log file directory to compress, and turn it back off later, or mark the indiviual files and compress them. 

If it's in a DAG, you may also have copies of the log files in the replication share of the active server waiting to be shipped to the other members of the DAG.

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

• Edited by mjolinor Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:37 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

It would appear that the 14 day lagged database copy that corresponds to the active database having the issue may be to blame for the generation of log files.

I deleted the lagged copy of the db, then free space on the active db drive was restored to a normal level.

I'm guessing, for whatever reason, the log files could not be played into the lagged copy db, or could not be played in fast enough and this created a backlog on the active db server?

Anyone seen this before or care to clarify my assumption?

Regards

Matt

Matt

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:19 PM