none
2010 - Emails disappears after hitting the inbox.

Question

• I've got a strange case here.  I'll lay it out.

A user has set up a form on a website to email them when a visitor submits.  The email comes in, and then disappears.  The users mobile phone gets it, and if you're quick enough, you can see if in Outlook, but then bang, gone.  I can go to recover deleted items for the inbox, and the messages show up..  It's only this message, and if I have the message sent to my mailbox, the message is fine.  There is only 1 mobile device attached to this account.  I've removed all the rules, and even gone in with mfcmapi and looked for rules and removed.  This happens whether or not Outlook is open.  According to the user, it worked ok for a while, and then it started.  The server is not doing any spam checking as we sanitize our email through Microsoft Forefront spam protection.  There are no junk email rules in effect.

What on earth is going on?  Can anyone lend a hand and point me in the right direction?

Thx.

RS

Monday, May 09, 2011 7:21 PM

All replies

• What sort of mobile device is this? If the message is in the dumpster, that implies the message is being POP'd or moved somehow.

ALso, start Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to ensure that you have cleaned all the rules out.

Monday, May 09, 2011 7:44 PM
  • The mobile device is an iphone using activesync.  It happens even if the device is turned off.

I'll have to double-check, but I think POP service is turned off on the exchange server.  I've started with the /cleanrules and also used mfcmapi to go in and remove any strays.

RS

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:23 PM
  • So you have checked their junk mail options in outlook and it is set to "No Automatic Filtering", and the checkbox for "Send Suspected Junkmail to deleted items" is not checked?

In my experience, if a message makes it to the phone, then goes missing, there is about a 99.9999% chance it has to do with outlook junk mail settings.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:43 PM
  • add the senders email to safe senders list in Outlook and see if the issues still occurs. 

Check setting in Outlook, Junk email setting, what the deafult action is for

Tools | Options | Junk E-mail. Check the box at the bottom that says to
    "Permanently Delete..." instead of moving to the Junk E-mail folder

Sukh

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Hi,

Because it only happen to the one user, so we can ignore the Anti-Spam agent on Edge and HUB server.

Let’s focus on the configuration at mailbox level.

I think it may be caused by:

1.       POP not configured correctly.

2.       Outlook junk filter

3. One option nobody had mentioned is Retention policy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Ok.  Apologies, I didn't have my forum profile set properly to receive notifications of replies!  Sorry!!

I'll check on the settings for Outlook Junk filter.  I think I remember checking, but don't remember for sure.

We also don't have POP enabled through the firewall, so I don't think that's it, but I'll check.

Thanks for the suggestions.

RS

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:39 PM