none
Server shuts down RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a server with Windows 2012 R2 Essential and all actual updates.

The system randomly shuts down/crashes. Most of the time before noon. During the afternoon it normally runs without any problems. In the morning, when entering the office, it is shut off. We turn it on und til noon it crushes/turns off 3, 4 or 5 times. Some times but NOT always there are entries in the systemlog that the system has been shut down because of a problem with the kernel power. But twice I have been able to see the message that the system shuts down. In such cases there are no entries in the systemlog.

Due to the message with the kernel power I suspected the power system of the server to be defective. So we changed the server completely. 100% other hardware. The old system is still "operative". I intentionally did NOT use my backups to setup the new machine to prevent importing existing problems into the new server. It was set up from ground by hand. But the NEW server shows exactly the same symptoms as the old one: it randomly shuts down/crashes.

What else did I try:

• I changed the switch. No changings
    • the USV has been removed. Including the corresponding USB-cable. No changings
    • I placed the new server at a completely other place. Different cable for power and ethernet, different port on switch. No changings
    • every single program has been removed from the new server. Now its a pure 2012 with AD and DNS. The control panel / programs is completely empty. No changings
    • all drivers for the hardware have been updated. No changings
    • I turned on the OLD server without connection to the network or internet. It still shuts down/crashes.
    • I have 8 users, 6 of them active. So I am far away from the limit of 25 of the Essentials-Server.
    • In none of the logs is anything that corresponds to the shut downs/crushes. Except the ones of the kernel power.
    • there are two cables connected to the new server: power and ethernet. NOTHING else.

It seems as if Windows itself is the problem. But where and what?

I have no clue what to do next. 100% other hardware, completely new installation but exactly the same symptoms on the old and new hardware!?!?!?!? By the way: the old system was running for 2,5 years. The last update of Windows was installed 1 month before the problems began. No changes in soft- oder hardware during this time.

Anyone amoung you with good ideas?

Thx

Oliver

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:22 PM

All replies

• Just a shot in the dark, you sure your power source is good?  UPS and etc
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:08 PM
  • 1"It was set up from ground by hand. "
    did you mean you use wse2012r2 install media to install wse2012r2 on new hardware server ?
    can you give model of old wse2012r2
    when you use wse2012r2 install media to install wse2012r2 on new hardware server ,don't install any windows update and thirdparty software ,will the the shutdown problem persist ?
    (we need to know which phrase the problem happen )
    for installing wse2012r2 on a new hardware the workflow like:
    (1)install wse2012r2 on a new hardware        after finish this step ,do you have shutdown problem ?
    (2)configure wse2012r2 by using essentail wizard. after finish this step ,do you have shutdown problem ?
    (3)install all update on wse2012r2            after finish this step ,do you have shutdown problem ?
    2."It seems as if Windows itself is the problem. But where and what?"
    run below command on wse2012r2 then check if there is error information
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth 
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3.did this shutdown issue happen every day on wse2012r2 ?
    4.if you do clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) on new w2012r2 ,will the problem persist ?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    5.did you use wse2012r2 in sigle domain environment?
      did you set trust relationship for other domain on wse2012r2 ?
      Are both your old wse2012r2 and new wse2012r2 with full fsmo ?
    6.what's detail model of your physical server ?
      do you have 2 physical servers,one is installed old wse2012r2 and the other is installed new wse2012r2 ?(Are olde physical server and new physical server have the same hardware
    parameter )

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:38 AM
  • Andy,

thx for your assistance.

1. Yes, installation with DVD from MS. I had NO problems with shutdown or boot during the whole setup AND update process.

The hardware of the OLD server is a HP Z220, the NEW server is a HP Z420. The new one has a Samsung SSD 860 EVO.

2.all answers for the NEW server

sfc: there were some errors that could be successfully repaired

scanhealth: no problems

restorehealth: component storage (I hope this is the correct translation) has been repaired.

3. yes, every day. But on some days the error ocurs just once, on other days multiple times

4. yesterday, there were no entries since there were no applications. Now I have 6 entries (2x HP, 3x Intel, Mozilla) but I can't do the test now. The client has to work 8-(

5. single domain with NO relationships or any other servers

6. see 1. The state of win2012 should be the same on both machines due to the updates from MS. The hardware does NOT have the same parameters.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:43 AM
  • HI
    "I had NO problems with shutdown or boot during the whole setup AND update process."
    7. it seems that there is no system problem after you first installed wse2012r2 on HP Z420, i suspect if we installed(software ,hardware) or configure anything cause our issue.
    8.go to disk managment on and check if your partitions are all basic disk on Z420.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/basic-and-dynamic-disks
    9.did you move hardware(memory ,standalone video card) from HPZ220 to HP Z420 ?
    10,what's the detail hardware configure on both HPZ220 and HP z420 ?
         do you have compatible hardware memory and all memory are the same brand.( server essentials only support maxium 64GB memory.)
         do you have enough power supply on HP Z420,is it 600W?

11,is there software can Diagnostics HP PC Hardware ?
    https://support.hp.com/hr-en/product/hp-compaq-dc7900-rps-pc-series/5233897/document/c06180396
        is there software can test cpu tempature ,standalone video card tempature etc on new HP Z420 ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Andy,

8. WSE made the partitioning of the hd. There is ONE physical hd with 350 MB NTFS partition, active and primary plus 931,17 GB NTFS starting partition, primary error free

9. NOT a single piece of hardware was transferred from the old to the new machine

10. Z420: Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM

Z220: Xeon E3-1270 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Both servers haven been used out of the box. No memory updates or different power supplies. I used both machines as delivered by the manufacturer. Therefore I SUPPOSE that the power supplies are correct as well as the RAM.

11. I do not want to install the tool from HP since it wants to create a partition on the hd for the server. With the old serever I used http://almico.com/speedfan.php to watch the hardware. There were NO abnormal values.

On the new server I installed www.cupid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. Temp of CPU is below 40°C (~100°F), temp of SSD is at 27°C (80°F). For the gpu there seems to be no sensor for the temp.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:36 PM
  • It seems as if there are always kernel-entries in the log. I just saw the message system is shutting down and there is a kernel entry in the system log. From 8:26 to 9:06 there are four for today. Until now.

The max temp of the CPU is at 51°C (??)

Shiiiiiiiiit. It shut down once again. Arrrrrggggh

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:16 AM
  • HI
    12.is there Electronic engineer can check Whether the power voltage is stable in your computer room and other room when the problem happen?

13.there is document for your reference
    Description of the Shutdown Event Tracker
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/293814/description-of-the-shutdown-event-tracker

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:04 PM
  • To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually:  dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:55 AM
  • Update for all readers:

It SEEMS, as if we isolated the problem. Since friday in the evening there was no more shutdown since we disconnected the main printer from the network.

As soon as this information is verified I can post the model of the printer hoping it may be useful for other users.

Still hoping we are on the right path!!!

Monday, November 25, 2019 7:40 AM
  • OK,thanks for your reply. do you mean you install printer on wse server ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, November 25, 2019 11:18 AM
  • no, I did NOT install a printer. The printer was there since the beginning.

But I suspect the printer to malfunction due to an update of the printer soft- or firmware. Both are out of my control.

Monday, November 25, 2019 11:53 AM
  • OK. I am glad to hear that we can find the reason.
    computer or router shut down or reboots when the brother machine is powered on or starts printing
    https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52989/~/computer-or-router-shuts-down-or-reboots-when-the-brother-machine-is-powered-on

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:21 AM
  • since the server is still running there is a high probability that the Xerox WorkCentre 7530 was the cause of our server shutdowns. The Xerox has been completely reset and reconfigured from zero. This was made by the customer service of the vendor of the printer. Unfortunately we do NOT have any protocols from WireShark, so I can't tell the exact cause.

The printer is running 24*7 so power on can not be the cause. Further on printer and server are far away from each other and only connected via ethernet. No direct link, switch in between. Different power supplies, no UPS for the printer.

I can't deny or confirm any context to the link to brother. and since the printer has been reset I can't test it.

Thx for your assistance Andy

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:09 AM
  • You are welcome!Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:26 AM