none
Archive mailbox independent of primary mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

Is it possible to do the following?:

1.  Disable a user's AD user account

2.  Disconnect / soft-delete the user's primary mailbox.  This would result in permanent deletion of the mailbox after the number of days set in Keep deleted mailboxes for (days) setting on the mailbox database.

3.  Permanently keep the user's archive mailbox for use in eDiscovery.  A policy would be in place to ensure all items in the primary mailbox were moved to the archive mailbox prior to soft deletion.

Thanks

Friday, November 15, 2019 12:15 AM

All replies

• >>A policy would be in place to ensure all items in the primary mailbox were moved to the archive mailbox prior to soft deletion.

From my understanding, you want to move all items from primary mailbox to archive mailbox and then delete the primary mailbox but keep archive mailbox leaving. Right?

As far as I know, disabling a mailbox that has an associated archive marks both the primary and archive mailboxes for removal. This is an expected behavior for Exchange.

As for your request, you may move all items from Archive mailbox to primary mailbox and then disable the archive mailbox.

To disable the archive mailbox:

Disable-Mailbox "Chris Ashton" -Archive

If you really don’t won’t to use this account, you may also create another user mailbox (maybe named it as archive) and import all items to this mailbox.

If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:46 AM
  • I'm wondering if there are anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Request/Expectation]

====================

Delete the primary but leave archive mailbox.

[Summary]

====================

As far as I know, disabling a mailbox that has an associated archive marks both the primary and archive mailboxes for removal. This is an expected behavior for Exchange.

[workaround]

====================

As for your request, you may move all items from Archive mailbox to primary mailbox and then disable the archive mailbox.

[Reference]

====================

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/recipients/disconnected-mailboxes/disable-or-delete-mailboxes?view=exchserver-2019

Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:06 AM