"Unspecified error" when creating appointment or meeting request using Outlook 2003 with an Exchange Server

Question

• When opening a new appointment or meeting request in Outlook 2003, the following dialog box is being generated.
    Title ="Windows internet Explorer"
    Contents of box = "Internet Explorer cannot download. Unspecified error"

Once I click 'OK' on the dialog box, I can continue successfully creating the appointment/meeting request.  

I am using the following software versions :

Win XP Professional SP3
               MS Office Professional 2003
               MS Outlook 2003 SP3
               MS Word 2003 SP3
               Exchange Server  version ?         
               Internet Explorer 8

I am using Word as my email editor, however, the same issue occurs even when I don't use Word as my email editor.
    I am using Internet Explorer 8 as my default browser, however, the same issue occurs when I have FireFox set as my default browser.  I've spoken with several co-workers and they do not encounter this error.  They are using the same version of Outlook and the same Exchange Server.

I've scoured the web for an answer/resolution with no luck... thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

• Do you have any Outlook add-ins?  You might try disabling all of them to see if the problem goes away.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by Jessica U Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:55 PM

All replies

• Do you have any Outlook add-ins?  You might try disabling all of them to see if the problem goes away.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by Jessica U Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:55 PM
  • You are awesome Ed!

I have been dealing with this minor annoyance for over a year and it seems to be resolved.

I went into the Outlook Add-in Manager, unchecked everything in the list, and then closed/re-opened Outlook. No more error!!!

I even went through and systematically re-enabled each of the add-ins one by one.  I am essentially still running all the same add-ins without any error when creating a new appointment/meeting request.

Gotta love it.  Thanks again!

• Edited by Jessica U Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:28 PM spelling
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:12 PM
  • I get lucky once in a while.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:51 AM
  • its worked for me....and i am very happy...thanka lot my friend.
    Monday, May 28, 2012 1:29 PM