none
Exchange First Storage Group Backup

Question

• Hi,

Let me first say that I am happy to be shown a beter way to do anything.

I have an Exchange 2003 Win2003 server, on which I am using NTBACKUP to back up the first storage group.  I am doing a full, normal, overwrite backup on Sundays, then on weekdays, I am doing differential, append backups.

My problem is that even though the backups seems be running when they should, the size of the bkf file never changes.  Also, the bkf is over 3 gigs, but when I look into it using the restore wizard, it appears empty (see screenshot here).

What could I be doing wrong?

Many thanks,
    kreid

Monday, December 08, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Issue description: Size of backup file never changed

Your schedule:

Ø  Normal backup runs on Sunday

Ø  Differential backup runs on daily [Append new backup to the existing one]

Your screenshot for mailbox store is normal, refer to this screenshot in the article “How do I restore my Exchange 2000/2003 server

Verify backup success:

1.       Please check the application log for backup event, like the events below:

Event Type:        Information

Event Source:    NTBackup

Event ID:              8001

Description:

End Backup of 'SERVER1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group' '

The operation was successfully completed.'

Verify:  Off

Mode:  Append

Type:  Normal

----------

Event Type:        Information

Event Source:    ESE

Event ID:              213

Description:

Information Store (2788) First Storage Group: The backup procedure has been successfully completed.

2.       Review backup log

a.       Start->Run->Ntbackup

b.      “Tools” menu->Report, select backup logs to check if any errors are listed in them

3.       Verify the data by restoring data to RSG [Procedure]

References:

Recovery Storage Groups

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatley, the link to the screenshot doesn't work.

I also don't know where the application log is (maybe you can tell me).

I did look at the backup reports - In the backup reports, the scheduled DIFFERENTIAL backups give this:

Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "ExchangeFirstStorageGroup.bkf created 08/12/2008 at 22:00"

Error: GPRS-APPSERVER2\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

----------------------

I don't know if the scheduled FULL backup gives this error, because the backup reports don't go back that far.

If I run the full backup manually, the backup report looks fine.  If I run the diffreential backup manually, the error above is shown.

Any ideas what's wrong?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:27 PM
  • The screenshot can also find in that article above

Application log:

a.       Start->Run->Eventvwr

b.      Expand to “Application log”, check if there’s any related event for backup

Troubleshooting for error “…is not a valid drive, or you do not have access”:

a.       Please check if “Secondary Logon” service is running

b.      When you ran the differential backup manually, where do you save at, desktop or tape drive? Please test both ways

c.       Please read KB 555613, it has described this error and related resolution

d.      Please try to perform backup with another account with “Backup Operator” permission

e.      Check if store has corrupted

a)      Created a blank stores and mounted it on the exchange

b)      See if we can backup the blank store with Ntbackup

Friday, December 19, 2008 3:00 AM
  • The application log for the weekly fuul backup looks fine:

Event Type:    Information
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    8001
    Date:        21/12/2008
    Time:        04:08:04
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    GPRS-APPSERVER2
    Description:
    End Backup of 'GPRS-APPSERVER2\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group' '
    The operation was successfully completed.'
         Verify:  Off
         Mode:  Replace
         Type:  Normal

Consult the backup report for more details.

The application log for the daily differential backup looks OK (I think), but I was expecting more information:

Event Type:    Information
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    8019
    Date:        18/12/2008
    Time:        22:00:04
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    GPRS-APPSERVER2
    Description:
    End Operation:
    The operation was successfully completed.
    Consult the backup report for more details.

The secondary logon service is started.

I save differential and full backup to a sata data cartridge.  This has 60% free space.

I currently perform the backup with the Administrator user - aha! - this wasn't a member of backup operators .  I will try the backup with this now set, and get back to you with the result.

Thanks

Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:36 PM
  • I just ran a manual backup on the first storage group, but the size of the bkf file is still exactly the same as one that I created last month.  Also, if I open the restore wizard, it says "no entries found".  Do exchange backups take specific sizes or something??

Thanks
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:49 PM
  • "No entries found" is normal behavior which can be ignored

So far, we got the error “GPRS-APPSERVER2\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is not a valid drive, or you do not have access” when differential backup runs, other reports and logging events look normally. Storage tape has 60% free space

Let’s try an Isinteg against the store

a.       Dismount store

b.      C:\exchsrvr\bin\isinteg.exe -s <servername> -test alltests > isinteg_test.txt

c.       If the warning or error count is not 0, please run the following command to repair store

d.      C:\exchsrvr\bin\isinteg.exe -s <servername> -fix -test alltests > isinteg_fix1.txt

e.      If the warning or error count is not 0, repair again

Please try to use RSG to check the data in the backup files

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:46 AM