Logon credentials have expired RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running an Exchange 2010 server and this morning all users get the following message:

"The logon credentials supplied have expired.  You must change your password before logging on to Microsoft Exchange."

How do I fix this?  Google does nothing.  I don't want to change the passwords.  Is this a security feature that can be changed?

Thanks!

Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check your domain account password is expired from your domain controller administrator, they will able to check it.

Here are little tools help you check whether your password expired: Account lockout tools from Microsoft

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738772(WS.10).aspx

You can either reset your password to same or put it password never expired from ADUC (If you are allowed to do so)

MT | MCITP ----- Please vote helpful or mark as answer if it's answered your question, this help us follow up the question status.
    • Marked as answer by meshman333 Monday, August 16, 2010 11:25 PM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check your domain account password is expired from your domain controller administrator, they will able to check it.

Here are little tools help you check whether your password expired: Account lockout tools from Microsoft

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738772(WS.10).aspx

You can either reset your password to same or put it password never expired from ADUC (If you are allowed to do so)

MT | MCITP ----- Please vote helpful or mark as answer if it's answered your question, this help us follow up the question status.
    • Marked as answer by meshman333 Monday, August 16, 2010 11:25 PM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Exchange does not impose password change policies on its users for regular operations.  Your issue is a domain/AD issue.  The only time Exchange imposes a password change is in an ActiveSync Policy (which is not the same password as your AD password).  Are the users seeing this from their desktop/Outlook or from a mobile device?
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Great, thanks!

...actually the thing that confused me is if my domain password expired, how was I able to log onto the domain?  I log in as Administrator, Outlook logs in as my mail username.  The mail username expired. 

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:25 PM
  • I've resolved the issue by clicking "Cancel" on that prompt. Then I pressed on F9 in Outlook (to reload mailbox) and I noticed it was trying to login using other credentials than mine (some other test account I had created before). So I chose "other account" and typed in my own credentials, and chose "Remember credentials", and the error went away.

Thanks

• Edited by Wadih M Monday, November 12, 2012 10:36 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Hi. The password has expired issue is happening for a couple users in my org. But, in this case it is not the user's own account, it is some other that seems to be buried somewhere and I can't find it. The problem happens every time a user attempts to setup a second profile and prevents the ability to do so.

Steps taken: delete all profiles and every local cache file (ost, oab, all of it); tried credentials of accounts I can think of, including shared mailboxes.

One thing about this is the dialog box presented; it's not one I've seen before.

The box name is "Microsoft Outlook - Change Password", and the fields are:

Username:

Domain:

Microsoft Exchange:

Old Password

New Passord

Confirm New Password.

I've tried everything I can think of in this box. And I'm not sure what "Microsoft Exchange:" is supposed to be. I've tried the Exchange name servers.

Have any of you seen this behavior?

Many thanks!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Hi. The password has expired issue is happening for a couple users in my org. But, in this case it is not the user's own account, it is some other that seems to be buried somewhere and I can't find it. The problem happens every time a user attempts to setup a second profile and prevents the ability to do so.

Steps taken: delete all profiles and every local cache file (ost, oab, all of it); tried credentials of accounts I can think of, including shared mailboxes.

One thing about this is the dialog box presented; it's not one I've seen before.

The box name is "Microsoft Outlook - Change Password", and the fields are:

Username:

Domain:

Microsoft Exchange:

Old Password

New Passord

Confirm New Password.

I've tried everything I can think of in this box. And I'm not sure what "Microsoft Exchange:" is supposed to be. I've tried the Exchange name servers.

Have any of you seen this behavior?

Many thanks!

Im using Exchange 2013 in-house .its most of the clients are using office 2010  and some are having the same issue which you were facing . did you manage to solve ? Please help.
    • Edited by Shaazk4 Saturday, June 17, 2017 5:37 AM
    Saturday, June 17, 2017 5:36 AM