Install paths not preserved upgrading from SQL 2014 to SQL 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL 2014 Standard installed on Server 2012 R2.

SQL is latest service pack & CU.

Install media is for for SQL 2016 Standard RTM (Microsoft Open Business [Open License]).

Existing SQL is installed to L: partition.

This includes the actual instance & executable paths as shown in services.msc

Upon launching the SQL 2016 installer and selecting Installation > Upgrade from a Previous Version of SQL Server

the prior SQL instance is displayed correctly. We can select it to be upgraded.

However the paths shown for the instance & other components are C:, and one is actual on I: (Shared feature directory)

The server does not have an I:. I do not know where this is coming from.

I cannot find a way to change these paths during the upgrade process. I proceed all the way through the upgrade Wizard until the "Upgrade" button appears as the next step.

I have chosen not to click Upgrade, because I don't want it to put the components on the C: (or the non-existent I:)

Does anyone here have insight into why these paths would change from their existing drive letters during the upgrade to SQL 2016?

I would really appreciate some guidance here. Hoping to avoid making any mistakes. I know it is better to get this right upfront then try to change it later.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

-

Doug Mortensen

CCNA, MCSA, MCP, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Net+, A+, MSSBS

Sunday, August 16, 2020 12:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Doug Mortensen,

I’m afraid you cannot change the shared features directory when upgrading SQL Server. If any shared feature has been installed, the directory cannot be changed. The directory can only be set for the first time and any subsequent setup installs the tools to the same directory as the first installation. You can try to uninstall all the shared features and then reinstall them to change the directory.

Please refer to this thread and this article which might help.

Best Regards,

Amelia

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, August 17, 2020 7:00 AM
  • When you do an in place upgrade, those directories are pulled from the registry.  The server must have had an I drive at one the time the server was installed.

Monday, August 17, 2020 2:58 PM
  • Tom. I would have thought the same. But I searched the registry for:

I:

Nothing turned up...?

Monday, August 17, 2020 4:16 PM
  • Amelia,

How can I verify the path the shared features are currently installed to? I'd like to make sure it is in fact C:, because I didn't think it was...

Thanks,

-

Doug

Monday, August 17, 2020 4:17 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply.

The path of the shared features shows in SQL Server setup -> Feature Selection. Please refer to Specifying File Paths.

In addition, please refer to My Drive does not appear in Windows Explorer view which might help.

Best Regards,

Amelia

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 9:40 AM