none
additional domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• i have 2 domain controller with same model HP DL 380 G6 with server 2003. PDC and AD DC.My AD DC become unserviceable due to hardware issue.now i have DL380 G9 model with different hardware. now i want to use this as a AD DC with DL 380 G6 PDC.

the issue is i have very important applications on old hard drive of DL 380 G6 with server 2003.

i tried to install serevr 2003 on new AD DC but failed, minimum server 2012 should install on it.

how i can recover all settings of old hard drives in to new machine?

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:11 PM

All replies

• You can seize roles to the other domain controller.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255504/using-ntdsutil-exe-to-transfer-or-seize-fsmo-roles-to-a-domain-control

then perform cleanup

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/ad-ds-metadata-cleanup

then rebuild the failed one once hardware issues are sorted.

As to operating system support for DL380 G9 I'd contact the vendor HP

Another option is to install Hyper-V role on host, then stand up a 2003 guest VM

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 6, 2019 7:02 PM
  • if i create image of win server 2003 on DL 380 G6 using Disk2vhd 

can i use this image on DL 380 G9 with win 2012 in Hyper-V

Monday, September 9, 2019 5:15 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

According to your description, we want to create a Hyper-V on the 2012 server and then put the image of the win server 2003 on DL 380 G6 into it.

Based on my experience, this operation is feasible,we can configure it like this.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:36 AM
  • The much simpler / safer method to build a new virtual machine is to use installation media or ISO. There are various P2V methods out there but this would be an absolute last resort.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 9, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Windows 2012(R2) supports Windows 2003R2 as a guest.

You can virtualize your DC with V2V (or P2V) converter and run on new server.

Here is a comparison and feature matrix of converters: https://www.vmwareblog.org/v2v-converters-overview/

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:52 PM
  • i created VHDX of server 2003, when attach this VHDX on server 2012(DL 380 G9) in Hyper-V.Giving error Isass.exe. Plz guide me
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:20 PM
  • plz guide me step by step, which software is used to create VHDX of server 2003. i created VHDX with Disk2Vhd. when i attached this with Hyper-v in server 2012 on another machine it give Isass.exe error.
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:27 PM
  • plz guide me step by step, which software is used to create VHDX of server 2003. i created VHDX with Disk2Vhd. when i attached this with Hyper-v in server 2012 on another machine it give Isass.exe error.

The much simpler / safer method to build a new virtual machine is to use installation media or ISO. There are various P2V methods out there but this would be an absolute last resort.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2003 guest, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health.

Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:05 AM
  • . i created VHDX with Disk2Vhd of server 2003 on HP DL380 G6. then create VM with Hyper-V in server 2012 on HP DL 380 G9,and attach VHDX of server 2003.when start boot normaly but give Isass.exe error. moreover with pressing F8 i entered in safe mode.
    Monday, September 16, 2019 4:47 PM
  • Hello,

I am very sorry to reply you so late.

According to your last reply, Isass.exe error occurs during normal startup and pressing F8 will enter safe mode. Can you describe the problem you have encountered or share a screenshot of the error in more detail?

Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
    Cynthia 

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:54 AM