Explorer.exe Keeps Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this isn't the proper thread to post this issue in.

I have a developer who is running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with Office 2010 Pro Plus x32. Starting about a month ago, Windows Explorer would crash, almost always when he was exploring a network folder on our review server or another network location. SFC /scannow didn't find anything out of the normal, AV and MWB scans come up clean. drivers and Windows are all up to date. I'm unable to make heads or tales of this crash and am hoping someone can make sense of the Event Viewer findings.

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
    Faulting module name: EXPLORERFRAME.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18952, time stamp: 0x55c39ff9
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000043576
    Faulting process id: 0x1154
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d15f5f391f5176
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\EXPLORERFRAME.dll
    Report Id: ce3febe3-cb8d-11e5-9136-ecf4bb36436d

I can and will provide more info, if needed. The crash went away for a week but has since come back.

-SM

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi SupportMadness,

Have you tried to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot?
    According the dump files, this issue could be related to the "Roxio" product" or Apache" product. Please uninstall them to have a test.

"Image path: C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\libaprutil_tsvn.dll"
    "Image path: C:\Program Files\Roxio\Roxio Burn\RB_ContextMenu64.dll"

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 7:47 AM

All replies

• Odd.....odd indeed.

I would compare Explorerframe.dll on the affected machine to a known working machine. Size/Modified/Created.

: Shrug : 

have you tried fire? fire fixes everything.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Hi SupportMadness,

First of all, please perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If you have got a restore point, we could try to recover the machine to a previous normal point.

To troubleshoot this issue deeply, please refer to the following steps to enable the dump files. Upload the dump file to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will try to analyze the dump files for you.
    a.Create the folder using command line :  md C:\ Explorer _dumps
    b.       Create the following registry key:
      Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\Explorer.exe
    c.       Under the Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\Explorer.exe
              Create the following values:
      Name: DumpFolder
      Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
      Data: C:\ Explorer _dumps
      Name: DumpType
      Type: REG_DWORD
      Data: 0x2
      Name: DumpCount
      Type: REG_DWORD
      Data: 0xa

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 6:51 AM
  • I'll check this out next week when he's back in the office. I'll let you know what I find, thank you!
    Friday, February 5, 2016 6:51 PM
  • Due to our DSS and DoD security audits, we don't have OneDrive enabled on any of our machines. I can enable and produce these dumps, but is there a better way to load them up? I have an FTP available which I can upload to. The link is good for five days. 
    Friday, February 5, 2016 6:52 PM
  • The user is in the office today and we setup the regkeys and dump folders accordingly. Its like setting a mouse trap! Or at least a video camera on the trap. :) Once something bites, I will upload the data. thank you for the help!

Also, was there supposed to be a space in between C:| and Explorer _dumps? "Data: C:\ Explorer _dumps"? We removed the extraneous spaces to make it C:\Explorer_dumps. Does that sound right?

Best,

-SM

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Here it is! And thank you so much for looking into this. (also, removed the periods in the filename and placed DOT instead, in case you need to change it back to something else.)

http://webftp.cardno-gs.com/Uploads/explorerDOTexeDOT4856.zip 

-SM

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Hi SupportMadness,

Have you tried to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot?
    According the dump files, this issue could be related to the "Roxio" product" or Apache" product. Please uninstall them to have a test.

"Image path: C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\libaprutil_tsvn.dll"
    "Image path: C:\Program Files\Roxio\Roxio Burn\RB_ContextMenu64.dll"

Best regards

Monday, February 15, 2016 7:47 AM
  • I long suspected it was Tortoise SVN, as it seems to appear most often when using explorer to browse changes to files on our review server. I will review our options.

Thank you for the information!

SM

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:36 PM