none
Outlook 0X80004005 error

Question

• Hi Folks,

today my outlook client(2003) told me they cannot dl the OAB successfully and the 0X80004005 is displayed, I google and search ms kb, this happened even on the LAN(surely occred on outlook anywhere client), how can I tackle this problem?

I found it may regarding to the autodiscover service, actually I added autodiscover.domain.com to this INTERNAL DNS, but i hv not yet add autodiscover A Record to my External DNS

any idea?

Thanks,

Teddy

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:03 AM

Answers

• Whether the mailbox which received this error is on the Exchange Server 2007 storage database, or Exchange 2003 mailbox store? If It is in exchange 2007 mailbox store, it should be associated with the public folder store in Exchange 2007 instead of old Exchange 2003 public folder store.

You may check if below cmdlet works for this problem.

Update-OfflineAddressBook –Identity “Your Offline Address List”

Meanwhile, I would like to explain that, for outlook 2003 using in Exchange 2007, the OAB files should be downloaded from the subfolder oab3a, or oab4 in the public folder. Probably, we need use MFCMAPI tool to check these system folders. Please verify if these system folders are empty in the public folder. If they are empty, you may create a new public folder and re-associate with mailbox store, otherwise you may need do much maintenance for the public folder to investigate the cause.

Please look at below link which may help

==============================

http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archive/2005/07/16/How-to-troubleshoot-the-OAB-Generation-process.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55FDFFD7-1878-4637-9808-1E21ABB3AE37&displaylang=en

If you have any problem of using MFCMAPI tool to check the OAB system folder in the public folder, please let me know.

-Jason

Friday, July 04, 2008 6:34 AM

All replies

• I would request you to check for the below registry values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\<profile name>\13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a\001e660E

had no value.

Outlook 2003 tries to use the path in this key for OAB (version 2) download. Since this path is blank, error 0x80004005 returned

If the issue still persists, please also confirm me about below questions.

Whether other customer have the same issue?

What’s the outlook working at, MAPI, ROH(Rpc over http)?

Since you mention the Auto-discover service, It seems that you use the Exchange 2007 Sever, but please confirm if it is a pure Exchange 2007 Server or coexistence environment?

Jason

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Thanks Jason 1st!

Just a few sentence to describe my env:

1. E2K7SP1 is transitted from E2K3SP2

2. The above issue hv not occur on those Outlook2K7 but on all Outlook2K3 client "suddenly"(as this problem hv not presented perviously)

3.The above issue occur on both LAN connection client and Outlook Anywhere client

4. I checked the registry, in fact, no "001e660" on my client registry

5. I would like to know if outlook 2007 use web distribution method for OAB and outlook 2003 use public folder distribution?

6. I hv internal A record of autodiscover.domain.com but hv no external A record of autodisocver.domain.com, but I did some work around(built a dns zone ) to fake the outlook anywhere client to resolve autodiscover.domain.com to map to the external IP of the E2K7, but it still not work

7. Thanks Jason again!

Teddy

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Yes, your understanding is correct, Outlook 2007 use web distribution method for OAB and outlook 2003 use public folder distribution like in the Exchange 2003 environment. You may remeber that exchange 2007 server would ask you whether kept some earlier outlook version in the enviroment during the deployment. if your answer is “yes”, Exchange Server will enable public folder distribution in OAB for ealier outlook version automatically.

Based on the current situation that outlook 2007 no this problem, I think we should not focus on the auto discover which should be related to Outlook 2007 OAB web distribution. At this time, let us focus on public folder distribution to troubleshoot it.

Please verify the Offline address book configuration and public folder database by following steps.

1.       Open EMC, ->Organization Configuration->Mailbox->Offline Address book -> right click “default Offline address book ” and choose “properties”.

whether the “public folder distribution” enabled/checked in "distribution" tab?

2.      Meanwhile, please check if your mailbox database( Sever configuration->Mailbox->right click “mailbox database” store and check client settings)

Whether OAB and public folder database are associated properly in there?

3.       How about the public folder database status? does it mount?

for better understaning the configuration, please run below CMDLET to collect OAB configuration information to me.

Collect the OAB information

======================

1.  On the EMS, please run below cmdlet

Get-offlineaddressbook |fl >C:\OAB_config.txt.

2. Open the C:\OAB_config.txt and post the content here.

More OAB reference:

=================

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997667.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=19B69064-81B8-419E-AAE9-612DCEB98AEB&displaylang=en

-Jason

Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Really thanks Jason reply first!

I checked questions 1 -3, all config is correct

here's the result from get-offlineaddress

=============================================================

Server                          : E2K7
    AddressLists                    : {Default Global Address List}
    Versions                        : {Version3, Version4}
    IsDefault                       : True
    PublicFolderDatabase            : EMAIL\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store
                                       (EMAIL)
    PublicFolderDistributionEnabled : True
    WebDistributionEnabled          : True
    DiffRetentionPeriod             : 30
    Schedule                        : {Sun.5:00 AM-Sun.5:15 AM, Mon.5:00 AM-Mon.5:1
                                      5 AM, Tue.5:00 AM-Tue.5:15 AM, Wed.5:00 AM-We
                                      d.5:15 AM, Thu.5:00 AM-Thu.5:15 AM, Fri.5:00
                                      AM-Fri.5:15 AM, Sat.5:00 AM-Sat.5:15 AM}
    VirtualDirectories              : {OAB (Default Web Site)}
    ExchangeVersion                 : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    AdminDisplayName                :
    Name                            : Default Offline Address List
    DistinguishedName               : CN=Default Offline Address List,CN=Offline Ad
                                      dress Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=Mul
                                      tizen First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchang
                                      e,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC
                                      =com
    Identity                        : \Default Offline Address List
    Guid                            : f0c090b8-b4ac-4a7c-a76a-8bbeb2c4b85e
    ObjectCategory                  : multizen.com/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-OAB
    ObjectClass                     : {top, msExchOAB}
    WhenChanged                     : 1/28/2008 3:42:54 PM
    WhenCreated                     : 10/25/2003 4:26:11 PM
    OriginatingServer               : e2k7.domain.com
    IsValid                         : True

=============================================================

E2K7 = Current Exchange 2007

Email = Old Exchange 2003 which is not yet removed

hv I check any config on old e2k3?

Thanks Jason again!!

Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Whether the mailbox which received this error is on the Exchange Server 2007 storage database, or Exchange 2003 mailbox store? If It is in exchange 2007 mailbox store, it should be associated with the public folder store in Exchange 2007 instead of old Exchange 2003 public folder store.

You may check if below cmdlet works for this problem.

Update-OfflineAddressBook –Identity “Your Offline Address List”

Meanwhile, I would like to explain that, for outlook 2003 using in Exchange 2007, the OAB files should be downloaded from the subfolder oab3a, or oab4 in the public folder. Probably, we need use MFCMAPI tool to check these system folders. Please verify if these system folders are empty in the public folder. If they are empty, you may create a new public folder and re-associate with mailbox store, otherwise you may need do much maintenance for the public folder to investigate the cause.

Please look at below link which may help

==============================

http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archive/2005/07/16/How-to-troubleshoot-the-OAB-Generation-process.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55FDFFD7-1878-4637-9808-1E21ABB3AE37&displaylang=en

If you have any problem of using MFCMAPI tool to check the OAB system folder in the public folder, please let me know.

-Jason

Friday, July 04, 2008 6:34 AM
  • How about the issue going on? Have you tried this tool to verify the OAB folder? Whether any OAB file is in these folders?

-Jason

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:11 AM
  • In fact, I test this day again, AND THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED, but I would like to conclue why the problem occur suddenly, I tried Update-OfflineAddressBook –Identity “Your Offline Address List”, no error is prompted, and here's is the result of get-offlineaddressbook after exec this command:

====================================================================

Server                          : E2K7
    AddressLists                    : {Default Global Address List}
    Versions                        : {Version3, Version4}
    IsDefault                       : True
    PublicFolderDatabase            : EMAIL\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store
                                       (EMAIL)
    PublicFolderDistributionEnabled : True
    WebDistributionEnabled          : True
    DiffRetentionPeriod             : 30
    Schedule                        : {Sun.5:00 AM-Sun.5:15 AM, Mon.5:00 AM-Mon.5:1
                                      5 AM, Tue.5:00 AM-Tue.5:15 AM, Wed.5:00 AM-We
                                      d.5:15 AM, Thu.5:00 AM-Thu.5:15 AM, Fri.5:00
                                      AM-Fri.5:15 AM, Sat.5:00 AM-Sat.5:15 AM}
    VirtualDirectories              : {OAB (Default Web Site)}
    ExchangeVersion                 : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    AdminDisplayName                :
    Name                            : Default Offline Address List
    DistinguishedName               : CN=Default Offline Address List,CN=Offline Ad
                                      dress Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=Mul
                                      tizen First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchang
                                      e,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=multizen,DC
                                      =com
    Identity                        : \Default Offline Address List
    Guid                            : f0c090b8-b4ac-4a7c-a76a-8bbeb2c4b85e
    ObjectCategory                  : domain.com/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-OAB
    ObjectClass                     : {top, msExchOAB}
    WhenChanged                     : 1/28/2008 3:42:54 PM
    WhenCreated                     : 10/25/2003 4:26:11 PM
    OriginatingServer               : e2k7.domain.com
    IsValid                         : True

====================================================================

as u see PublicFolderDatabase: EMAIL\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store, and the server "email" actually is the old exchange 2003, so does it means the public folder database is still mounted on the exchange 2003? if so how can I migrate it to exchange 2007?

Thanks Jason!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:58 AM