OWA could not connect to mailbox... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the following error in my browser when trying to access a mailbox through OWA in my test Exchange 2007 32-bit environment:

Request
    Url: https://hubccr.test.com:443/owa/default.aspx
    User host address: 192.168.20.213

Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionFailedTransientException
    Exception message: Cannot open mailbox /o=TEST/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=jlightfoot.

Call stack

Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePool.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePool.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePool.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Initialize(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, ADOrgPerson delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.CreateMailboxSession(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, ADOrgPerson delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Open(ExchangePrincipal mailboxOwner, WindowsPrincipal authenticatedUser, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaWindowsIdentity.CreateMailboxSession(ExchangePrincipal exchangePrincipal, CultureInfo cultureInfo)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.UserContext.CreateMailboxSession(OwaContext owaContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.UserContext.Load(OwaContext owaContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.CreateUserContext(OwaContext owaContext, UserContextKey userContextKey, UserContext& userContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.PrepareRequestWithoutSession(OwaContext owaContext, UserContextCookie userContextCookie)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.InternalDispatchRequest(OwaContext owaContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.DispatchRequest(OwaContext owaContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaModule.OnPostAuthorizeRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Inner Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError
    Exception message: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80004005, ec=2423) Diagnostic context: ...... Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0 Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 0 Lid: 16280 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: ComputerName: n/a Lid: 8600 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: ProcessID: 872 Lid: 12696 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Generation Time: 2008-01-29 19:48:28:250 Lid: 10648 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Generating component: 8 Lid: 14744 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Status: 11001 Lid: 9624 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Detection location: 320 Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0 Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 1 Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: prm[0]: Unicode string: TESTCCR.test.com Lid: 19778 Lid: 27970 StoreEc: 0x977 Lid: 17730 Lid: 25922 StoreEc: 0x977

Call stack

Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, Int32 ec, DiagnosticContext diagCtx)
    Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcConnection.Create(ConnectionCache connectionCache, ExRpcConnectionCreateFlag createFlags, ConnectFlag connectFlags, String serverDn, String userDn, String user, String domain, String password, String httpProxyServerName, Int32 ulConMod, Int32 lcidString, Int32 lcidSort, Int32 cpid, Int32 cReconnectIntervalInMins, Int32 cbRpcBufferSize, Int32 cbAuxBufferSize)
    Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMapiStore(String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, ClientIdentityInfo clientIdentity, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)
    Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMailbox(String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, ClientIdentityInfo clientIdentity, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)
    Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMailbox(String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, WindowsIdentity windowsIdentityAs, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)

Any ideas?  I'm running a CCR with mailbox nodes as excha and exchb, while the CA/HT is HUBCCR.  The Exchange cluster is named TESTCCR

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:02 PM

All replies

• Your error message already tells you what's wrong, if you go through it:

"Inner Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError
    Exception message: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227) Diagnostic context: ...... "

You have a firewall (either software on one of your machines, or a firewall device) that blocks communication from the e-Mail server to the DC against which it tries to authenticate the user accounts with. There are 2 solutions.. an easy one, and a not-so-easy-but-safer one.

The "easy" solution: open up the firewall for unrestricted communication between your 2 or 3 PCs involved in the transaction.

The 'not-so-easy' solution: the DC uses random ports to communicate to its clients... you'd have to go into registry and change the comm ports from 'random' to specific ports... then open those specific ports in your firewall... and make sure your Exchange server uses those ports to communicate to the DC.

Check this article out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555381

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by dauphin38 Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:45 PM
  • I already configured my 3 servers (CCR, 2 mailbox and 1 CA/Hub) to use a static range of ports by going in and configuring the registry as you recommended.  Then I ran a script on all 3 machines to add these ports to the firewall, but I still got the error.  I got frustrated and turned off the firewall on all 3 servers and the error continues.

I'm not sure what to do except to start over and rebuild my cluster.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Well, it looks like you need to make sure Microsoft Exchange Information Store service has been started. Good luck.

• Proposed as answer by C3po1fan Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem using exchange 2007 in a VMWARE SRM environment.  This error appears for my customer on my recovery site. The solution for my problem was to create a Consistency Group in Navisphere Manager for my Mirror corresponding to my LUNs Exchange. Good luck for all.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem using exchange 2007 in a VMWARE SRM environment.  This error appears for my customer on my recovery site. The solution for my problem was to create a Consistency Group in Navisphere Manager for my Mirror corresponding to my LUNs Exchange. Good luck for all.

Please inform me what to do in plain English please as I also am running my Exchange in a VMWare environment.  Any help would be appreciated!  You sound like you really know what you're doing!

Teddy F.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:38 AM
  • This can be caused by a permission issue; check mailbox permissions, also got this error after removing user from Administrator group which had explicit denied to mailboxes.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:51 AM
  • This ended up being the solution for me, thank you.
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:37 PM