"The data area passed to a system call is too small" - SCCM 2007 Command Line Only Program RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to append the PATH Environment variable on some machines that are missing PowerShell in the path, due to some issues with a previous deployment.  I created a new package containing only the following command line in the associated program:

C:\WINNT\SETX.EXE PATH "%PATH%;%WINDIR%\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0" -m

When I advertise and run this program, the error that I get in the log is as follows:

"The data area passed to a system call is too small".

I believe that this error indicates that my command line is too long to execute, but I'm not sure.  If this is the case, how else could I accomplish my goal of updating the PATH variable via SCCM?

Notes: I'm avoiding options that require the distribution of data, including script files, unless completely necessary.  I'd like to accomplish this using a bare-bones command line program if at all possible.

This is my first post, so thanks in advance for any help!

• Edited by ATLITGuy73 Monday, February 4, 2013 8:51 PM Extra quote in original command line removed.
    Friday, February 1, 2013 5:07 AM

Answers

• My apologies for the late responses; My alert apparently didn't work!

1 The extra quote is a typo within my post. The actual path is correctly written. I checked to be sure, because at this point I'd love for it to be that simple.
    2) I've been through many iterations of this command trying to get it to work; I just settled on the explicit path to the SETX executable for now, though it didn't work when I was using %WINDIR%, either.  And yes, we still use C:\WINNT as the default Win Directory for XP machines. Long story.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, December 26, 2014 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:12 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies

• Did you notice that you have one too many quotes within your command line?

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Friday, February 1, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Or too few.

Also, c:\WinNT? That hasn't been used since NT 4. Do all your systems really have that as the Windows directory? You should be using %windir% instead.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, February 1, 2013 3:55 PM
  • My apologies for the late responses; My alert apparently didn't work!

1 The extra quote is a typo within my post. The actual path is correctly written. I checked to be sure, because at this point I'd love for it to be that simple.
    2) I've been through many iterations of this command trying to get it to work; I just settled on the explicit path to the SETX executable for now, though it didn't work when I was using %WINDIR%, either.  And yes, we still use C:\WINNT as the default Win Directory for XP machines. Long story.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, December 26, 2014 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:12 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:29 PM