none
Manage a distribution group via a mail-enabled universal security group RRS feed

• Question

• In Exchange 2003 I have distribution lists that are "managed by" security groups. The users who are member of these security groups modify the membership of the DLs through Outlook 2007.

I can't get this to work in Exchange 2010 SP1.
    I've tried to add a mail-enabled universal security group into the "managed by" field of a mail-enabled distribution list. Properties -> group information -> managed by -> add ->.    All i can add here are individual users, not security groups.

I need a way to manage a distribution group via a security group as opposed to one user at a time.

In ADUC I can add the mail-enabled universal security group into the "managed by" field.  When I look at the Managed by field from Exchange 2010, it displays the correct group, BUT says "object not found".  If I click the add button I cannot find any mail-enabled universal security groups.

I've already followed the RBAC posting from http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/11/18/453251.aspx

Suggestions?

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hiya,

It isn't supported in Exchange 2010. This is because it won't work with message moderation. Unfortunately, for the moment at least you will have to add users as DG managers. I know other people, esp. for upgrades, have used scripts to migrate and manage this process.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:58 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

It isn't supported in Exchange 2010. This is because it won't work with message moderation. Unfortunately, for the moment at least you will have to add users as DG managers. I know other people, esp. for upgrades, have used scripts to migrate and manage this process.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Hello This is simply.. scandalous... I am now migrating a 2500 user org from 2003 to 2010 SP1.. and they extensively use DL with "managed by" = a security group (which IS a best practise..) So now ?? what can I do ? Please point me to the script you talked about later... URGENT ! best regards
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:48 AM
  • I too use security groups to manage DL's.  It also appears that you can only set 1 manager/owner up for each dl via the console.  Is there any plans to change this so that you can still administer DL's via security groups?
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:03 PM