none
moving mailboxes from one AD account to another - GUI RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, and our support desk is in charge of moving mailboxes from old to new AD accounts (e.g. employee moves from one department in the agency to another, gets new user id and new rights but needs to keep mailbox).  In Exchange 2003 they were able to do all this in a GUI.  With Exchange 2010 being very powershell intensive, this puts our support desk in an uncomfortable position.  Some of the process can be done via the GUI, but not all of it, and they don't relish the idea of peforming part of the task in the managment shell.  Has anyone some kind of procedure that will alleviate some of the heartburn they are experiencing over this?  We found something about doing it in ECP, but I don't know if this it outdated or what, as some of that functionality is not available.  Thanks for any information on the subject.  We are using SP2 on Exchange 2010.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:46 PM

Answers

• While not desirable.. and not truly efficient, you could schedule clean mailbox databases every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. Another option would be to provide them batch files they could run from their desktop to do the same thing (assuming they have the permissions/RBAC setup to do so).  That would prevent the need for them to type things in manually.
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:39 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Reading the original question again - moving mailboxes between AD accounts is something I never do.

It can cause significant problems with regards to old email and other internal processes. If the user must have a new ID, then I would create a new account, move the content from the old account to the new account, but the old account is left in place. It is hidden from the GAL and a forward put on it to send all email to the new mailbox.

That way no internal email processes are broken, and you have the old account available to undo delgates, meeting ownership etc.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:08 PM
  • I agree that scheduling cleaning of mailbox databases isn't truly efficient.  As far as moving mailboxes, I went over options with another admin and the way we are doing it is really the best option, as there are downsides to the other options.  Basically I was just wondering if there was a script hanging around out there to allow the mailbox move or at least database cleaning, since all but the database cleaning can be done from the gui.  I just figured if there was perhaps a vbscript that the person could run and plug in the name of the database or whatever it would be a way to go.  It looks like we will need to write a script to do this.

Monday, May 28, 2012 5:04 AM

All replies

• Not enough information to know what you are finding "uncomfortable". The move mailbox process can be done through EMC without any issues, but if you have other things you do, then you need to state what those are.

However the answer will almost certainly be to write a script that can be run in EMS, which prompts for the relevant information then does everything in the background.

Being blunt, anyone who is "scared" of the command line when working on a helpdesk needs to find another career. That is the way the industry is going. With Microsoft products it is command line first, with a GUI on top. You will never get everything in a GUI any longer.

Simon.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:07 PM
  • As long as you will assign proper Roles they should be able to move mbx through EMC
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Well, they need to disconnect the mailbox (gui), clean the database (shell), reconnect the mailbox (gui as long as cleaning the database in the shell is done properly).  Yes, I agree that a script where they can pop in the name of the mailbox would probably be the way to go.  I posted here to see if something was already out there to that effect instead of duplicating efforts.

In response to your blunt comment, your point is taken but doesn't really help the situation at hand.  I am working to alleviate some concerns of our support desk since this is out of their comfort zone, and telling them to learn powershell or rethink their career is not an option, nor something I care to pursue.  It is not my job to judge how they respond to being out of said comfort zone.  I could argue the point with them or I could work to find a solution that works for all those concerned.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:53 PM
  • They can move the mailbox through the emc, but they need to clean the database for it to show up in the disconnected mailboxes so they can attach it to the new account.  As far as I know, they can only clean the database in the shell.
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:54 PM
  • While not desirable.. and not truly efficient, you could schedule clean mailbox databases every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. Another option would be to provide them batch files they could run from their desktop to do the same thing (assuming they have the permissions/RBAC setup to do so).  That would prevent the need for them to type things in manually.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Reading the original question again - moving mailboxes between AD accounts is something I never do.

It can cause significant problems with regards to old email and other internal processes. If the user must have a new ID, then I would create a new account, move the content from the old account to the new account, but the old account is left in place. It is hidden from the GAL and a forward put on it to send all email to the new mailbox.

That way no internal email processes are broken, and you have the old account available to undo delgates, meeting ownership etc.

Simon.

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi pchw

Any update on this thread? Did you follow ty72182 and Simon's post?

Cheer

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:19 AM
  • I agree that scheduling cleaning of mailbox databases isn't truly efficient.  As far as moving mailboxes, I went over options with another admin and the way we are doing it is really the best option, as there are downsides to the other options.  Basically I was just wondering if there was a script hanging around out there to allow the mailbox move or at least database cleaning, since all but the database cleaning can be done from the gui.  I just figured if there was perhaps a vbscript that the person could run and plug in the name of the database or whatever it would be a way to go.  It looks like we will need to write a script to do this.

Monday, May 28, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Hi pchw

If you would like to ask for a script, you could post your requirement on Script Forum, at there, people are happy to give you more advice.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-pl/ITCG/threads

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Thank you.  I am trying to get my ducks in a row on this one to determine how to proceed.  I just found out that our help desk folks don't have access to the list of disconnected mailboxes.  This is part of the role group settings, so I need to find out how they can get access to that as well.  If there is a script that will allow them to reconnect instead of having to go through the gui on that piece as well, then that would be good, but I suspect if they can't view the gui of disconnected mailboxes, they likely don't have perms to reconnect the mailbox even through the shell, am I right?  We are trying to give them enough perms to do their job, and the initial setup gave them about 95% of what they needed, with the need to tweak bits and pieces here and there to take care of the other 5%, but since this is new in our environment, it is difficult to determine what fixes the remaining 5% and what they will run into next.
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:39 AM